Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this drive? Any suggestions on where to stop/stay? How long did it take you? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
I've done it.

It really depends on how much time you have, and if you want to just get there or if you want to drag it out and see more. There are plenty of interesting places in between.

On the way to Austin, we took a longer route through Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Chapel Hill, Atlanta, Montgomery, Mobile, NOLA, and Houston, taking some time in each place. That took over 2 weeks.

Coming back we took the most direct route and split it into 3 days of about 10 hours each. The first stop was Memphis (taking 35 N to 30 E to 40 E). Second day we stopped in Staunton, VA (40 E to 81 N in eastern TN). Third day we took 81 N to 84 E to the Mass Pike (90) E. This was likely somewhat faster than going through the NYC area.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
I drove from DFW to BOS and back.

We went through LR and Memphis. Right about at Memphis we got hit by a passing hurricane/TS. Trucks were splashing water spray from across the divided highway 30 feet into the air landing on our windshield with a big thud totally blinding us. We tried to drive through it but gave up about at Knoxville. We doubled back a bit and went up through Ohio and Cleveland to Buffalo and across NYS to Albany. The hurricane caught up to us there and got really severe after Worcester. We were just about totally blind until Framingham where we finally got off and took the back roads.

On my second trip weather was much nicer. BOS to ALB to BUF to Cleveland day one. Cincy/Lousiville/nashville day two. Nashville is nice. Nashville to LR next. Then LR to D. Four days, 12 hours day one, about 6 each other day.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've driven to Austin from Boston about four times. Once I did it in about 38 hours straight. Mostly I did it by cutting over to I-81 down to Knoxville, TN to I-59 south to I-10 west to Houston and up to Austin via Rte. 290. Three of the times, I wanted to check out an antique show in Round Top, TX.

I always drive home by going I-35 north to I-30 east through Arkansas then picking up L-40 east in Little Rock and on through TN to I-81 north. I LOVE driving I-40 in TN between Nashville and Knoxville!!! It's through the mountains and the highway twists a bit!

As to where to stay, I usually catch naps in my car at rest areas. When in Austin, I stay at the Red Roof Inn in Round Rock along I-35. It's clean and very cheap.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately, we need to take the fastest way there... not the most interesting or scenic. I'll be 6 months pregnant, and we'll have our 3 cats & dog in the car with us. With my sister following in a truck. Ugh! I'm HOPING we can drive 10 hours a day (although, I'm supposed to get out and walk around every hour or two).

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 AM
miu

I suppose then just do I-90 west to I-84 west to I-287 west to I-78 west to I-81 south to I-40 west to I-30 west to I-35 south.

As to lodging suggestions, when I am traveling with my boyfriend, he has to sleep in a hotel room. So I pick up one of those Travel Saver discount coupon books at the state welcome centers and pick a place from there. I prefer to stay at Red Roof Inns so I can park my vehicle right outside my room door and keep an eye on it. And they allow dogs, and it's easier to walk them with that direct outside access. Also sign up for a Red Roof Inn frequent stay card for added discounts. And the discounts might be better online with the card than with a coupon, so perhaps you can have a friend be on standby to book you rooms when you know your route and when you will need them and where. A few times, my boyfriend has been on a road trip on his own, and I've been at home making him reservations and giving him other travel advice.

I once helped my sister drive a 24' Ryder truck from Kentucky to the Sacramento, CA area. She let me shop at any antique mall along the way, once they closed for the day we drove until the setting sun was in our eyes. At that point we ate dinner. Then we'd drive to about 3am in the morning and get a motel room. We'd wake up around 9am and repeat the day. I think that we did the drive in about four full days. I've driven to CA from MA in five days with the same daily agenda of antique shopping and driving, except without getting a motel room.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I suppose then just do I-90 west to I-84 west to I-287 west to I-78 west to I-81 south to I-40 west to I-30 west to I-35 south.
To go from Austin to Boston, do this in reverse (though I do think 81 all the way up to 84, though a few more miles, will often save time over taking 78 to 287, where you're more likely to run into traffic).

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Cool, thanks guys! I'm putting this into my "Austin to Boston" folder.

I like Red Roof Inns a lot, too, because they're cheap, clean, & you can bring your dog/cats. That's where I stayed when I drove from LA to Austin. (didn't get any sleep, though, because of our cats meowing & walking on us the whole night - I wonder if they have cheap 2-room suites)

Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
To go from Austin to Boston, do this in reverse (though I do think 81 all the way up to 84, though a few more miles, will often save time over taking 78 to 287, where you're more likely to run into traffic).
It depends on what part of the week they are traveling and passing through. I think that heading westward, I-287 isn't a big deal except for rush hour. And no problems at all anytime on the weekends. I also like I-78 for getting my first gas fill-up at the Pilot truck stop in West Portal, NJ or in Allentown at Wawa's (I love their Italian subs!). Then my second gas fill-up would be the Flying J truck plaza at exit 323 in VA.

Anyway, the most important thing on a road trip is to avoid being on I-95 at any point after RI.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It depends on what part of the week they are traveling and passing through. I think that heading westward, I-287 isn't a big deal except for rush hour. And no problems at all anytime on the weekends. I also like I-78 for getting my first gas fill-up at the Pilot truck stop in West Portal, NJ or in Allentown at Wawa's (I love their Italian subs!). Then my second gas fill-up would be the Flying J truck plaza at exit 323 in VA.
True enough. But at rush hour, 287 near Morristown and Wayne can be a real mess, and 87/287 through Rockland and Westchester Counties in New York can be tough too (though the Tappan Zee Bridge view is worth it sometimes!).

One thing-there is no direct connection from 287 north of New York City to 84. You take 684 North near White Plains, NY to get from 287 up to I-84.

Love Wawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston