Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM

58 posts, read 251,338 times

Advertisements

First I know some people love it here and I recognize to each their own. This isn't meant to change anyone's mind. For me personally I find Boston incredibly undesirable. The winter is cold and long lasting. The hours of sunlight in New England are much less than Southern and Western parts of the United States. The city looks old and dirty to me. I personally am not enthralled by the history of Boston. It's nice to go to a museum about perhaps but to live and breathe it day to day offers nothing to me. I don't like bars, I don't like sports and that seems to be the basis of conversation amongst my coworkers. I think the T is very poorly designed and too crowded. The city is overpriced. I find it geographically very uninspiring and after a week of living here I felt I had seen all the city has to offer. I look out from tall buildings and see nothing but dusty brick facades and a low slumping landscape into the Charles River. I've been here a year now and as soon as I can find a new job I will happily leave. The only reason I came here was due to the lack of employment opportunities and having found a job here.

Though I don't feel interested in them, generally I find Boston full of nice people and has a strong employment market but those things just don't make up for the downsides I've mentioned. It also is a little strange to me everyone seems to have a little yappy dog in tow. It reminds me of Seattle, always damp and grey. Hopefully 2010 will be the year I leave.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
First I know some people love it here and I recognize to each their own. This isn't meant to change anyone's mind. For me personally I find Boston incredibly undesirable. The winter is cold and long lasting. The hours of sunlight in New England are much less than Southern and Western parts of the United States. The city looks old and dirty to me. I personally am not enthralled by the history of Boston. It's nice to go to a museum about perhaps but to live and breathe it day to day offers nothing to me. I don't like bars, I don't like sports and that seems to be the basis of conversation amongst my coworkers. I think the T is very poorly designed and too crowded. The city is overpriced. I find it geographically very uninspiring and after a week of living here I felt I had seen all the city has to offer. I look out from tall buildings and see nothing but dusty brick facades and a low slumping landscape into the Charles River. I've been here a year now and as soon as I can find a new job I will happily leave. The only reason I came here was due to the lack of employment opportunities and having found a job here.

Though I don't feel interested in them, generally I find Boston full of nice people and has a strong employment market but those things just don't make up for the downsides I've mentioned. It also is a little strange to me everyone seems to have a little yappy dog in tow. It reminds me of Seattle, always damp and grey. Hopefully 2010 will be the year I leave.
I'm from the outer sububs of Boston originally, some 35 miles South of the city. I feel the same way about Portland, Oregon where I live. Actually I feel totally turned off to the People of Portland. At least Boston has some culture and people believe in working and making a living. One would have to for as much as it cost to live in Mass. I agree the talk is always sports and more sports. That and who is going to bring in the Dunkin Donuts. I love New England but then it is home to me, its not for everyone. Im out of here come Sept 2010, but I will be retired and can live in a warmer climate now. In your case you need to work, so I hope you find the job where you want to be. I think alot of how we feel about places that we move to, has something to do with where we originate from. I could handle the weather of Portland at least somewhat, because Mass doesn't exactly have pleasant winters. However I could never adjust to the behaviors and constant Radical politics of Portland. Good Luck to you.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:48 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,397 times
Wow...well I really hope that you make a better choice for yourself in heading to your next destination. At least you have discovered now what you really dislike. There are MUCH worse places than Boston.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
When the wind chill is negative ten degrees outside, there is probably little else than to pop indoors and talk all about sports and nothing else. You are right in that Boston sports fans are pretty dedicated though. There must be huge corporate sponsorship in this city coming from the various corporations and institutions for sports teams.

I lived here nearly all my life and really like it but at times I do feel bored and yearning to find new pastures to resettle at. I like cold winters though. I don't think I will ever survive Phoenix, Miami, Charlotte, or places like those.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:52 PM

255 posts, read 694,931 times
DrDip... please tell us where you came from.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM

82 posts, read 287,873 times
I hate the cold and the winters also. The lack of light can really get to you. I have lived in warmer climates, but moved back here for the schools, culture, and proximity to great beaches and mountains. I live in Cambridge, and if you can find me a city in a warm climate with great bars and restaurants, independent movie theaters and bookstores, culture, leafy streets, and lovely architecture, I'd gladly move.

It sounds like you haven't really discovered New England, nor have a good grasp of local architecture and history. Have you taken any adult ed courses? It may give you a better appreciation of the city. If you prefer the strip malls, cookie cutter houses and lack of public transportation that characterizes the South and the West, go for it.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM

58 posts, read 251,338 times
I didn't mean worst place to live, just worst place I've lived. I am from San Francisco. I desperately did not want to leave but after losing my job there I was left without a choice. I just found it to be much more interesting and less over priced. I feel bored to death in Boston. Everything seems to close early and about half the year it's too cold to go anywhere anyway. I have family living here and they love it. I've tried hard to make the best of it but I can't. This place just isn't for me. I guess my #1 complaint is the weather with monoculture being #2. It seems everyone and multiple generations of their families are from here and stay here which makes their lives a little uninteresting. It's surprising since there are world class Universities all over the place. But I guess I'm too old to enjoy bantering with University students these days so that doesn't help.

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is. Like I said I respect some people like it here but to me California seems to be way better. I particularly can't understand why someone would retire here. By the way I am married and have a few friends here but that's not enough to make me dig bean town.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
DrDip... please tell us where you came from.
Yes and also where you would like to go that you will like better.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,923 times
I'd just like to know how in the world San Fransisco is cheaper to live than Boston. I grew up in Los Angeles, and although I haven't been back there in about 7 years, I know the cost of living there is way up and the states budget is laughable at best.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 PM

82 posts, read 287,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
I didn't mean worst place to live, just worst place I've lived. I am from San Francisco. I desperately did not want to leave but after losing my job there I was left without a choice. I just found it to be much more interesting and less over priced. I feel bored to death in Boston. Everything seems to close early and about half the year it's too cold to go anywhere anyway. I have family living here and they love it. I've tried hard to make the best of it but I can't. This place just isn't for me. I guess my #1 complaint is the weather with monoculture being #2. It seems everyone and multiple generations of their families are from here and stay here which makes their lives a little uninteresting. It's surprising since there are world class Universities all over the place. But I guess I'm too old to enjoy bantering with University students these days so that doesn't help.

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is. Like I said I respect some people like it here but to me California seems to be way better. I particularly can't understand why someone would retire here. By the way I am married and have a few friends here but that's not enough to make me dig bean town.
San Francisco is my favorite US city and I have spent a lot of time there. I understand that there is a huge cultural difference and mentality difference between the East and West Coasts. The weather is perfect in SF. People tend to hibernate here between January and March much like Southerners do during the heat and humidity. Housing and most things are WAY more expensive in SF, so it's funny that you find things pricey here. Have you explored Cape Cod, the beaches of the North Shore, NH, and Maine? Have you walked the Freedom Trail and learned the history of the area?

What do you do for work where you meet such uninteresting people? Have you tried expanding your social circles? The old adage that you get what you give applies here, though people also tend to be more reserved here and less phony than out West. You have to make an effort or you'll be miserable anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston