Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times

Advertisements

I find endlessly interesting how much the topic of "safety" comes up on urban forums. And, Boston is no exception.

I'm wondering whether people live in fear of their own shadows, whether they're afraid to leave their homes, etc.

Frankly, I've lived in a lot of places in my life and there are very few (the notable exceptions being places like Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick in Brooklyn in the 80's) where I actually ever felt threatened by my surroundings.

And yet, I read endless questions and ill-informed responses about the supposed safety of inner-city neighborhoods, usually from people who clearly don't have knowledge of these places.

So, really, I'd like to know. Why is this such a popular discussion topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
Speaking from experience, people irrationally fear everything. There's one song that comes to mind, the line "the mind is fear".

I live in the exurbs of Worcester. Most of my family members refuse to go to Worcester alone, for any reason, at any time of the day. (If it wasn't for the Texas Roadhouse on Lincoln St., they wouldn't voluntarily go there for any reason.) There's like a six town comfort zone, and everything outside it is the the great abyss. I have many relatives who are semi-openly racist, so cities are areas with the "dangerous" elements (aka non-whites) and must be avoided.

My parents in particular are extremely paranoid. Rarely do they venture away from family property, except for work, church, the grocery store and Walmart, or going out to eat. They fear being robbed, shot, car crashes, drunks and drug addicts, non-whites: anything that can damage their bubblewrap world.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Speaking from experience, people irrationally fear everything. There's one song that comes to mind, the line "the mind is fear".

I live in the exurbs of Worcester. Most of my family members refuse to go to Worcester alone, for any reason, at any time of the day. (If it wasn't for the Texas Roadhouse on Lincoln St., they wouldn't voluntarily go there for any reason.) There's like a six town comfort zone, and everything outside it is the the great abyss. I have many relatives who are semi-openly racist, so cities are areas with the "dangerous" elements (aka non-whites) and must be avoided.

My parents in particular are extremely paranoid. Rarely do they venture away from family property, except for work, church, the grocery store and Walmart, or going out to eat. They fear being robbed, shot, car crashes, drunks and drug addicts, non-whites: anything that can damage their bubblewrap world.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions ... I guess. Worcester is about the most innocuous city I've ever experienced including ... quelle horreur ... Main South (insert screams of horror).

I love your response, BTW. It really does summarize nicely the predicament. How can we ever expect to "move on" in this country as minority populations grow and white populations shrink with this kind of mentality? It really is a problem.

Suggestion: Take your parents on field trips to, say, Woonsocket, to get them used to a "city". It might be a good way to break them in. Gad!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
A lot of the "safety" type questiions are asked by women who are considering where they should rent. What's wrong with that?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
A lot of the "safety" type questiions are asked by women who are considering where they should rent. What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that is not just the question but, in particular, the response. I'm not going to go any further. Clearly you don't get it. You didn't before, and you don't now.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Is Mass... a safe US state to live in? If not, does anyone know of a safe US state to live in?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Anything can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. People seem to fail to realize this.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
This is funny. We lived on the water in Eastie for a year and some friends I grew up with in very white burbs came out to visit. They arrived at night and we went for a walk through the park and they thought it was a cool place. Pretty skyline and such. Next day driving around they kept saying what a sketchy place it was, only difference was you could see minority families out and about. I guess it is sad in some ways.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Anything can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. People seem to fail to realize this.
Particularly in Worcester, or so I'm told

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
This is funny. We lived on the water in Eastie for a year and some friends I grew up with in very white burbs came out to visit. They arrived at night and we went for a walk through the park and they thought it was a cool place. Pretty skyline and such. Next day driving around they kept saying what a sketchy place it was, only difference was you could see minority families out and about. I guess it is sad in some ways.
It is sad in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston