Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 10,702 times

Advertisements

I am a film student from northern California, near Sacramento. I love music (garage bands, art rock, creative energy), independent film, and interesting people. Im not a big sports fan (although hockey and soccer are pretty freaking awesome), and im not big on history.

Im looking for another place to live for the current area i am living in is stagnating. Even though i like alot of the people in it, there isn't a lot of change. Here rent is VERY CHEAP like 250-300 including utilities. I am understanding that boston is alot more expensive, but im wondering how is the night life? Are there a lot of concerts, and other places to socialize? How would the job market be? I have a very large background of working the IT field.
So a quick stat would be
-early to mid twenties male.
-single
-Very eclectic music tastes
-Loves independent film
-Wants to hang out with a crowd around the same age
-Alot of IT experience.
-Likes to Rock climb (so a gym with a wall would be a definite plus, but not necessary)
-Is used to open minded art oriented people, and or philosophy majors.

The two areas i was looking into were, Brookline and Emerson. How is the early to mid twenties scene in this area? Any other areas that i should look into and or suggestions?

Last edited by Jnugo; 05-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Simplified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Emerson isn't an area. It's a college. Brookline is great but good luck finding reasonable rents there, unless you find a couple of roommates and share a 2-bed flat (with 2 of you bunking up).

Emerson now sort of between Park and Chinatown (it was on Beacon Street when I went there). In all my years living in Boston, I never actually went to Chinatown. Back then (in the early-mid-80's) it wasn't a safe area for a woman to walk into by herself. Once you were there it wan't so bad - but the walk getting from Boston Commons to Chinatown was risky. From what I've heard, it's been fixed up very nicely and is now pretty awesome. The only problem, is that with awesome, comes high rents.

However again - if you can get roommates, you could try finding something in Back Bay near the Public Garden, and you'll be within walking distance of almost everything Boston has to offer (and the subway stations to get you to places too far to walk).

The trick to living successfully in Boston as a young single person, is roommates. Screen them VERY well, or find a reputable service to do it for you. And look over leases carefully before signing them; remember any lease -can- be adjusted, but if it isn't in writing, it doesn't count.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,702 times
Well my school is in brookline, are there close area's with cheaper rent? Thats not shady?

I kind of have to find a place with roomates i cant afford not to. More than likely ill be sharing a room?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Allston seems like it would be more your speed than Brookline....

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
If you can find someplace on the Brighton side of Allston-Brighton you should be fine. If you pull up a map of Brighton, MA, you'll see Parsons Street, Washington Street, and Forester. Washington will run east-west. Anywhere near that area and west, or that area and south, should be affordable and liveable (liveable = you shouldn't expect to get robbed, however you'd want to lock your doors anyway since this -is- afterall part of a city). It's mostly working class, and when I lived there, it had a very diverse cultural mix, with several families recently immigrated from Ireland (thick accents, it was like listening to windchimes, very lovely) and India (windchimes with cinnamon). There are lots of pubs - this isn't a big "saturday night dance hiphop" type of area, it's sleepier than that.

The bus and subway are both within walking distance, and there's an express bus that runs once an hour directly to downtown Boston.

Newtown Corner used to be liveable as well, and far less expensive than Brookline.

Just remember the further away, the fewer apartment buildings, more 2 and 3-family houses, less traffic, less college crowd, less noise, and longer ride to downtown. Definitely more residential, but still with the city feel.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,578 times
Bostons perfect, as long as ur a bruins fan lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston