Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

29 posts, read 52,806 times

Advertisements

We, my husband and I, are planning to relocate to Colorado in the next few months. Based on what I see online, along with a scouting trip to the area (unfortunately more based on Denver and Golden, rather than Boulder county), I'm thinking Longmont may well have most of what we're looking for.

We're late forties, so not really into the bar scene. Schools aren't an issue either, as the kid is in college. We'd like a safe, friendly community, with some access to a farmers market, decent restaurants and coffee shops. We work from home, so commuting isn't an issue, but we'd like easy access to hiking and biking trails. Hubs is more of a road biker, so he'd like to be able to take off for nice country rides in the middle of the day should the mood take him. I'm more into mountain biking, at an intermediate level, so am fine with having to drive for that. Same thing with skiing - we'd probably go a few times a season, but are keener on hiking and biking.

Ideally we'd like a three bedroom house, with a view, on a lot of at least 1/4 acre, with larger being better. Also need a large garage or extra storage space for toys and tools. Work means that fast internet access is important, and we'd also like to keep the drive to the airport at under an hour or so. Budget goes up to $450K or so.

Given all that, are we on the right track with Longmont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
I don't think you'll have much problem finding something suitable in your price range and with your wishlist. Have a quick look at coloproperty.com with your criteria and see what comes up.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
You sound ideal for CO. Longmont area is a good choice but many of the surrounding towns are also. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 32,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarapaca View Post
We, my husband and I, are planning to relocate to Colorado in the next few months. Based on what I see online, along with a scouting trip to the area (unfortunately more based on Denver and Golden, rather than Boulder county), I'm thinking Longmont may well have most of what we're looking for.

We're late forties, so not really into the bar scene. Schools aren't an issue either, as the kid is in college. We'd like a safe, friendly community, with some access to a farmers market, decent restaurants and coffee shops. We work from home, so commuting isn't an issue, but we'd like easy access to hiking and biking trails. Hubs is more of a road biker, so he'd like to be able to take off for nice country rides in the middle of the day should the mood take him. I'm more into mountain biking, at an intermediate level, so am fine with having to drive for that. Same thing with skiing - we'd probably go a few times a season, but are keener on hiking and biking.

Ideally we'd like a three bedroom house, with a view, on a lot of at least 1/4 acre, with larger being better. Also need a large garage or extra storage space for toys and tools. Work means that fast internet access is important, and we'd also like to keep the drive to the airport at under an hour or so. Budget goes up to $450K or so.

Given all that, are we on the right track with Longmont?
Yes you will do just fine in Longmont. Stay on the west side of Main Street though. You know even over by Niwot or Louisville sounds nice for you. We live in Boulder but we have family in Longmont. My Sister In law and her husband in their 60's just bought a home in Longmont in a nice neighborhood close to Longmont Hospital. It's a nice older home. I love how Longmont has all these very well kept older homes and have noticed when we go over there there are more older people over there than here in Boulder. We had a ball last summer going to a parade of Vintage cars up and down the streets of Longmont with our family. The east side of Longmont is not as nice for sure and I think more crime and drugs and things? That's what I hear.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
Well, in 2011 Longmont was rated Colorado's 2nd safest city and our drug/gang issues have been considerably diminished in the past several years so that's not entirely accurate. I'm not saying problems don't exist but I live on the east side and have never had any problems. There are several very nice, older neighborhoods on the east side too.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,711 times
Yes, I think you could get everything you want. (How often does someone come on here and get that response?) As with everyone making a big move, I recommend renting before buying to get to know the neighborhoods/towns.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
You might want to make another scouting trip and look at Longmont, Boulder, Lafayette, Louisville, and Superior. The general area fits you perfectly. It's really down to neighborhoods.

I don't know if this will help, but here is what we did: We focused on 8 neighborhoods and then went and hung out there. We went to a bike store, grocery store (seriously, what is available at the grocery store tells you a lot about a place), and went for a bike ride or run. Along the way we asked about restaurants and then ate dinner at the neighborhood place.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM

29 posts, read 52,806 times
Default Realtor recommendations?

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

We're planning a house-hunting trip to Longmont in the next couple of weeks. Checking out the whole city, but I suspect we'll end up on the west side or in old town. The area up around Mcintosh Lake looks good, too. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some realtor recommendations.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
That's great! Keep us posted.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,711 times
Be prepared - the market is hot right now and things are selling in the matter of a couple days (or even hours).

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-30-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area