Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Wow, best description of SAD I have read. Yes N. Idaho is not for everyone, that is for sure. I love the PNW, but I must admit, I liked those sunny Colorado winters a lot. My wife seems immune to SAD, but I definitely start climbing the walls sometimes when the rain runs on for the third straight week.
Heh! IMO there is only one reason for enduring the PNW - the ocean. Moscow is pretty dang far from the beaches in Oregon and Washington State. When I lived there lo these many years ago, it was a small town with an ag school (U of I), surrounded by lentil fields. I took my life in my hands everytime I drove the road between Troy, Idaho where my house was and Moscow where I worked at the U library. Back then Troy had a lumber mill and the chip truck drivers fresh off of Lolo Pass, drove as if pursued by the hounds of hell and all other drivers better get out of the way. Those were the days - NOT!

If I could live right on the ocean outside some smaller town like Coos Bay, I might not descend into psychosis like I did in Moscow. The Pacific ocean is pretty spectacular - almost as spectacular as the San Juans. I'd like to visit the PNW again to see the tide come in and wade in the waves on some Oregon beach. But I won't be going through Moscow, you can count on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Heh! IMO there is only one reason for enduring the PNW - the ocean. Moscow is pretty dang far from the beaches in Oregon and Washington State. When I lived there lo these many years ago, it was a small town with an ag school (U of I), surrounded by lentil fields. I took my life in my hands everytime I drove the road between Troy, Idaho where my house was and Moscow where I worked at the U library. Back then Troy had a lumber mill and the chip truck drivers fresh off of Lolo Pass, drove as if pursued by the hounds of hell and all other drivers better get out of the way. Those were the days - NOT!

If I could live right on the ocean outside some smaller town like Coos Bay, I might not descend into psychosis like I did in Moscow. The Pacific ocean is pretty spectacular - almost as spectacular as the San Juans. I'd like to visit the PNW again to see the tide come in and wade in the waves on some Oregon beach. But I won't be going through Moscow, you can count on that!
For me, the Rockies win for sunshine and alpine splendor, but the PNW wins for large rivers and trees, and of course, the coast. However, our coast is so dang cold it is for scenic purposes only!

In the climate contest, I will concede, Louisville wins over Moscow and probably Brattleboro too!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
I have been there many times, Brattleboro VT is truly a beautiful quaint town. They just don't make towns like Brattleboro in the West. I think New England has by far the most quaint, Norman Rockwell type towns in the U.S. Vermont has a lot of quaint towns and is such a gorgeous bucolic state full of country roads, covered bridges, meandering rivers, old dairy farms, green mountains, amazing fall color. Very peaceful place. Vermont has limited sprawl better then any place in the U.S....virtually no cookie cutter subdivisions & sprawlish towns full of fast food restaurants and chains can be found anywhere in the whole state and NO billboards allowed in the state period. They have kept that state very pristine. I think Vermont is much more quaint and pretty then the front range of Colorado. It stays so deep green all summer. But the issue with VT is it's mostly small towns far from jobs. The nice thing about the front range is you have ACCESS to Boulder and Denver with all the jobs and amenities. Also front range has a sunnier warmer winter (but VT has a better summer and fall IMO). Vermont always has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the U.S. and along with Mass. & CT the best schools in the U.S. (highest test scores).

Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 58,221 times
Yes Louisville is very nice but it's also gotten to be very expensive. Basically everyone that wants to live in Boulder but can't afford it moves to Louisville. So now Louisville is the new Boulder. For more affordable options Look in Westminster or Lafayette.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
I sold my townhome in Louisville in 1998 for 127,500.
I just checked it out on Zillow and it’s going for 330,000!
It’s a great town that’s a hop skip and a jump from the Rockies and it’s 25 mins to downtown Denver. Good, safe, solid community.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
It’s a great town that’s a hop skip and a jump from the Rockies and it’s 25 mins to downtown Denver. Good, safe, solid community.
You can probably take $100K off the Zillow price for a better estimate (!).

Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post

Louisville is a really nice town, but it hasn’t been 25 minutes to DT Denver for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area