Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

Nelly,

I live in Erie and absoultely love it. It is a short jaunt into Boulder or Denver and the views of the mountains are amazing. The dump really doesn't cause any issues for me. Although I don't live right next to it, I have friends who basically back to it (Vista Ridge neighborhood) and they don't even notice.

The only smells I get are the north winds that blow down from Greely (meat packing plants, methane, etc..), but that is only every once in a while, and even in Boulder you get that stench (plus in Boulder you get the stench of the liberal elitist snobs driving their big SUV's complaining about global warming- sorry for the rant).

There is a lot of commercial construction going on near Old Town Erie, we're due for a big grocery store (whichis much needed) and other buildings are going up. We just got a brand new community center (fully equipped gym with discounted membership for residents) and library.

In all honesty, if you are looking for a good family town that is on the verge of something great, Erie is the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,340 times
We just looked at some DR Horton spec homes and they were beautiful and price wasn't bad. The one we really like is up against the hill of the landfill, which doesn't bother me too much. I am concerned about the settling issues spoken of in this blog. DR Horton sales guy was very knowledgable and said that every lot has a soil sample core taken and analyzed and then they decide if the house they put on it can have a slab-on-grade basement or if it needs to have structural pilings and then a wood floor in the basement. These core sample analysis results are given to the buyer for review. Seems like they are doing it right, anybody have any first-hand experience here, or some insight to share further?

Nickman, which builder were you referring to here?
"We had asked the guy at the sales office what exactly the problem was and he said "all issues will be addressed and fixed once a contract is signed", or something along those lines. We left immediately."

Old 11-29-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,268 times
Default thinking about Erie

Looking for a home in the 350k range and we've driven thru the Vista Ridge area and like what we see- seems like 2500 sq. ft. is pretty common. We'd like to hear comments concerning:

- convenience to shopping, restaurants, etc.- is it necessary to go to Boulder or south on 25 to find something.

- haven't been to downtown Erie- what's there? Looks like it's ~15 min. away.

- how good are the schools? (no kids yet)

- is the area continuing to develop or has it slowed down a lot in the past year?

- is it pretty isolated?

How about comparable homes (size & price) further south? Commute is not an issue right now- working from home.

Other comments are welcome!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM

27 posts, read 74,448 times
Hoping some will answer dcurt's questions. DH and I are also considering this area (in general) and will most likely suffer "sticker shock" as we will be emigrating from Texas where the real estate $$ goes farther. We are hoping to buy or build on at least 5 acres, appr. 2800 sqft. and well-trimmed. (I suppose we're crazy to hope we can do that for ballpark $600K?) (Sorry, actually not trying to hijack this thread.)

Hoping someone familiar with that general area may chime in. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurt View Post
Looking for a home in the 350k range and we've driven thru the Vista Ridge area and like what we see- seems like 2500 sq. ft. is pretty common. We'd like to hear comments concerning:

- convenience to shopping, restaurants, etc.- is it necessary to go to Boulder or south on 25 to find something.

Not to Boulder, but probably to Louisville or Lafayette for restaurants. There is shopping at I-25 and Highway 7 (Sears, etc.)

- haven't been to downtown Erie- what's there? Looks like it's ~15 min. away.

Not much. A few bars, etc. Probably more like 5-10 min away.

- how good are the schools? (no kids yet)

Parts of Erie are in Boulder Valley SD and parts are in St. Vrain SD. Both are "good" districts.

- is the area continuing to develop or has it slowed down a lot in the past year?

Who knows?

- is it pretty isolated?

I don't think so. It depends on what you are used to.

How about comparable homes (size & price) further south? Commute is not an issue right now- working from home.

Don't know.

Other comments are welcome!
Erie seems to be where the families with young kids are living these days.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser77 View Post
Hoping some will answer dcurt's questions. DH and I are also considering this area (in general) and will most likely suffer "sticker shock" as we will be emigrating from Texas where the real estate $$ goes farther. We are hoping to buy or build on at least 5 acres, appr. 2800 sqft. and well-trimmed. (I suppose we're crazy to hope we can do that for ballpark $600K?) (Sorry, actually not trying to hijack this thread.)

Hoping someone familiar with that general area may chime in. Thanks.
That probably is crazy, LOL! Large lots are not the norm here, though you might find one near Erie. I don't think you could get all you want for $600K.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you so much, Katiana. I appreciate your taking time to answer!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM

336 posts, read 927,531 times
My brother & family lived in Erie for 5 years or so. They liked it, had a 3 bedroom rambler in Erie Village. THeir backyard was VERY small though. Their house sold for somewhere in the lower 300's. They liked their neighborhood, lots of families, met very good friends. We all hail originally from Minnesota, where the schools are excellent, they were not super impressed with the Erie schools (go to greatschools.net if you haven't yet). Hopefully with a larger tax base and more families, the schools will only get better.

They liked the country feel of Erie, but felt Erie lacked a master plan which bothered them, just new housing popping up everywhere.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,465 times
Default Answers to "thinking about erie"

Shopping
Not really much in town with regards to shopping but just out of town (within 2 miles) you will find Larkridge, Larkridge and Larkridge South - Store Directory that has big box stores and pads for restaurant retailers and Orchard Town Center, www.theorchardtowncenter.com/info/orchardTownCenter.cfm[/URL"]http://www.theorchardtowncenter.com/info/orchardTownCenter.cfm
which is a new open air concept mall that features typical mall stores. The really only downside is the fact that the nearest grocery store is about a mile away but plans are in place to build one closer in town.

Downtown Erie
Not really much hopefully but new commercial is currently being built today.

Schools
Wife and I have been happy with the new Elementary school in Vista Ridge which is Black Rock. We’d like the class sizes to be smaller but with so many young families in the area it is what it is (median age is 32). Right now there are 2 Elementary schools with plans for a 3rd. One large middle school that at one time was the high school and a newly built high school. Here are two sites for more information: Greatschools.net for Erie, Greatschools.net Search: ERIE Middle School, Colorado School Accountability Report, School Accountability Report - School Search (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp - broken link)

Development/Isolated
Things have slowed a bit due to the current economic times however Erie is ideally situated for future growth. The town website, Town of Erie, Colorado: Town of Erie Home Page has some great stuff so you might look there as well. As far as being isolated I would say no but I would assume that everyone might have a different view point. All bias aside, I would best describe the town as a going suburban area just outside of Denver and Boulder with a great community and kind people (grin).

Real Estate
As you go further south prices tend to go down. This is due to the fact that these areas, Broomfield and Thornton are larger with more over all inventory choices and more pockets of smaller and older homes. Median price wise Erie is at 288k, Broomfield 267k and Thornton at 179k. However, if you compare similar neighborhoods within these cities you’ll find they are about the same in over all price. [ mod cut ]

Long reply but good questions, hope this helps you and others.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-12-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Realtor advertising

Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM

MMHL and Mike--Thank you so much for that excellent, comprehensive info. on the area. It's very helpful and appreciated.

We're starting from scratch here, only know DH will be working in Brighton and I've never seen the town or area. We are older than the average there, but have a middle-schooler to think about. I've looked up schools all over the area, and just keep hearing about great schools (like Jefferson county) that are probably an unreasonable commute. As mentioned, we're older and DH has done the long-commute route-it wasn't optimal. It's tough to go by some of the stuff you find on the school-rating sites at times, too. Sometimes the unsung heroes are doing amazing work under the radar.

At any rate, thank you so much for taking the time to help us all here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area