Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APetersen1 View Post
How does everyone deal with this nonsense? Does anyone carry bear spray on the trails to deal with unruly animals?
Well, this might solve the unruly animal situation, but what about their dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
I dont hike in Boulder either. Too crowded and too many idiots. My dog doesn't like other dogs and so many times others that had the green tag their dog was not trained would run up to us and a fight would break out.

Other than that Boulder is great. Just pricey!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic material to keep thread on topic.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,104,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APetersen1 View Post
One of my neighbors successfully filed a noise complaint against one of the ignorant barkers at my condo, and he complained at the next board meeting that his dogs were “wonderful” and blamed everyone else for taking it to the police rather than dealing with him. Can imagine how well that would go when everyone thinks their dog is the second coming of Christ and can do no harm. We are renters and now looking to move to Broomfield. We know we'll still be dealing with the "I'm special so eff you" crowd but it seems like the selfish behaviors are less extreme there.
As much as I hate irresponsible dog owners, your neighbor has a point. If one has an issue with a neighbor, then have the courage and courtesy to go speak with the neighbor, and give them a chance to correct the problem. Save calling authorities for when you’ve exhausted all other options.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Condos usually have associations that deal with these things.

I agree with the OP...it's remarkable how clueless, entitled, and rude many dog owners are. The urban version is the six-foot (or 12 foot!) leash on sidewalks, with no clue who they're blocking or tripping.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
I rarely see any of this behavior. We take our dog hiking almost daily and I usually let her off leash, but of course I've trained her to come to me when I call her and she isn't aggressive. When we see people and/or dogs coming, we leash her until we pass them, and almost everyone else I've encountered on the trails does this as well.

We do live in Larimer County, but also hike in Boulder at least once a month and other areas above Boulder a few times a month. I just don't see this behavior at all, but it would be highly frustrating to have to encounter dogs and their rude owners with no concern for others.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 4,152 times
StealthRabbit. I feel for you. It's bad enough to have to tolerate barking, but in your case, it also costs a lot of pain and expense. I tried to find info on the dog law situation and came across this quite complete website. You might find it interesting.. Special interest groups prevent meaningful change in the animal control system

Old 01-20-2018, 03:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
I can't imagine. My condo complex is strict. People will say to others, 'Hey, pick that up!' Or take a photo and report them. It would be soooooooooooooooooooooo disgusting if we didn't. LOTS of dogs here. Just mine could make my corner gross pretty fast!

Old 01-20-2018, 03:45 PM

We lived for a few years near Walden Pond in MA. One would associate Walden Pond with peacefulness and the enjoyment of nature. There is a nice little hiking area around the pond. Well, guess what. I should be called Walden Dog Pond because it was really taken over by people taking their dogs out for a run. At that time, we had to step over poop and also never knew when a dog might charge us coming out of the tall grasses. I don't understand why many (not all, I'm sure) dog owners don't bear in mind that people without dogs might also like to enjoy a stroll or hike through a nature area. No matter how conscientious one dog owner might be, I think there are 3 or 4 more that feel entitled to those areas. And there are no laws against it. Here is a website on dog law looking at both sides of the problem. Special interest groups prevent meaningful change in the animal control system

Old 01-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I rarely see any of this behavior. We take our dog hiking almost daily and I usually let her off leash, but of course I've trained her to come to me when I call her and she isn't aggressive. When we see people and/or dogs coming, we leash her until we pass them, and almost everyone else I've encountered on the trails does this as well.

We do live in Larimer County, but also hike in Boulder at least once a month and other areas above Boulder a few times a month. I just don't see this behavior at all, but it would be highly frustrating to have to encounter dogs and their rude owners with no concern for others.
Although you are conscientious and maintain control over your dog, one of the issues many people have is that they will be confronted by a dog while walking, and it scares them, especially children. Even if a dog isn't aggressive and the owner maintains control off the leash, the fright has already occurred by the time the dog returns to the owner when called. I know of a family in which the mom and two of the kids are afraid of dogs, so they can't go to walking paths or hiking areas where a dog could run up to them at any time. They are tense about it. I think there really ought to be "dog paths" and "human only" paths because many dog owners do not keep their dogs leashed when out for a walk, and they wouldn't have to if there was a designated dog path.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajiggs View Post
Although you are conscientious and maintain control over your dog, one of the issues many people have is that they will be confronted by a dog while walking, and it scares them, especially children. Even if a dog isn't aggressive and the owner maintains control off the leash, the fright has already occurred by the time the dog returns to the owner when called. I know of a family in which the mom and two of the kids are afraid of dogs, so they can't go to walking paths or hiking areas where a dog could run up to them at any time. They are tense about it. I think there really ought to be "dog paths" and "human only" paths because many dog owners do not keep their dogs leashed when out for a walk, and they wouldn't have to if there was a designated dog path.
Yes, you're right, some people do have a fear of dogs and we dog owners need to be fully aware of that. Personally, I always try to keep a keen eye and call my dog to me before she has a chance to confront any people, but I know there are those, who don't.

I was once with a friend in Michigan and she just let her dog jump up on people and do basically what it wanted. I was very embarrassed at this but she didn't seem concerned at all. Although I treat my dog as if she's my child basically, I understand not all people feel that way about dogs.

With regards to the trails, there are certain trails in some areas, where dogs aren't allowed, but yes I think it should possibly be expanded, with some trails for people only and some trails where dogs can run off leash legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area