Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 AM

69 posts, read 239,875 times

Advertisements

So is it safe to say that one could survive without a car without much trouble? I mean, getting to work (of course depending on location) and to/from stores and such? My understanding is that the bus system is decent. Many people never take public transit and immediately sasy, "oh, the buses are no good". But realistically, they make it possible ot get from A to B in most places. How bout Boulder?

Thanks very mcuh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdudeboston View Post
So is it safe to say that one could survive without a car without much trouble? I mean, getting to work (of course depending on location) and to/from stores and such? My understanding is that the bus system is decent. Many people never take public transit and immediately sasy, "oh, the buses are no good". But realistically, they make it possible ot get from A to B in most places. How bout Boulder?

Thanks very mcuh
Yes, if you plan carefully. You should investigate the bus lines before you buy/rent. There are a few places it is hard to get to by bus. Boulder is not large though, so if you have to walk a few blocks it's usually no big deal. The number of days you'd be walking in bad weather is small, indeed.

Quote:
I'm just a poor slob that is in bad shape wearing jeans t-shirt and tennies, not polys funny looking helmets and racing shoes.
Keep the jeans, T-shirt and tennies, but add a helmet. My neighbor was in a bad biking accident, and his helmet probably saved his life.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM

thanks for the info. Helmet is key. After studying traumatic brain injury in school, i almost always wear the helmet.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,290 times
I take the bus a lot - some areas are much better served by buses than others. Mine, not so much. RTD recently cancelled a lot of evening and weekend bus service in my area, leaving only one bus that runs hourly after 7 pm weekdays and portions of the weekend (service ends at 9 pm on weekends == not good). It is a 1-2 mile walk to the nearest other bus lines that do run on weekends (ie, Broadway). Areas along Broadway between Table Mesa and Pearl St are best served by buses, including both local routes and buses that run to the airport and downtown Denver. Buses with silly names instead of numbers tend to run frequently, late, and on weekends.

RTD has some rather frustrating to use maps and such online, as well as a route finder which will tell you which buses to take from A to B at different times of day.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Incidentally, I understand our frustration. I don't think I have ever seen an easy to use bus schedule in any place I have ever lived or visited. Either way, it beats paying for gas and if more people took buses, more routes would be out there. In my mind, less cars = better overall.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,290 times
My main issue with the rtd website is that the service maps are hard to read, especially to figure out which blue line is which bus number when they overlap.

You are from the boston area, yes? The areas best served by buses in Boulder are also the areas with the highest student population, similar in character to Allston-Brighton. The area near Pearl St also has lots of buses - there is a major bus stop at Walnut and 14th - but also has the most expensive housing and older Victorian homes. If you are willing to pay more (similar to living next to a nice T station, like Davis) and want to avoid students, you might want to look into the Pearl St area, west of Broadway. Rents are way cheaper in Boulder than most of the Boston area, and you get exciting amenities, like parking and closets.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM

87 posts, read 416,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdudeboston View Post

Thanks very mcuh

Actually the busses in the area are pretty good. Regional busses go from Boulder to Denver Longmont, Lyons etc. They even have racks for your bikes if you want to go say from Longmont to Boulder and then ride your bike.

There are bike paths aplenty. Boulder is a VERY bike friendly town.

You may need help getting that new couch strapped on you bike though!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM

haha, good call on the couch. Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM

cool thanks for the great info nelumbo. I will take note for sure. I know exactly what you mean about boston too.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
There are plenty of bike trails. I wish more bikers would use them. If you ask me, they have no business being on 287 north of Boulder, or for that matter any busy roadway. I almost wrecked a few times because of some idiot on a bike. I think more bikers ride on highways and busy streets to make a statement... "I can take my bike anywhere I want to and you can't stop me. I am also an adrenaline junkie, or I simply have low self esteem and have to prove to myself 'I can do this.' Also look at my new outfit I just bought at REI."

I love bike riding, but come on. You don't have to prove yourself to the world. Get off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area