Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 PM

82 posts, read 391,073 times

Advertisements

How is road biking in boulder I know its where a lot of road bikers bike, but how is the traffic when biking? Currently I live in San Diego and you would think this would be a bikers paradise but the traffic makes it not so fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,701,011 times
Default Oooh, can't turn this one down !

Well I spent the last 10 years road cycling all over Boulder, Weld, Larimer, Jefferson, and Gilpin counties (yeah, we roadies sure get around much!).

Short answer: Compared to most places in the US, this is a road cyclist's wet dream for sure. Ya got: 1. Amazing rides on the flats (lotsa different routes) with roller hills and nice scenery 2. Spectacular big mountain rides (lots of em) like in the Tour de France but much better. 3. Once your endurance is insanely good, you combine 1 and 2 for a real hum dinger of a ride ! 4. Generally the weather is great for cycling and you can ride 10 months of the year (for sure) so long as you know how to put on some tights and polypro liners 'n stuff.

If you live in Boulder as opposed to say Golden, or Denver and suburbs, you also get: 1. All this incredible cycling terrain is right out your front door, no need to drive your car with a bike anywhere (except maybe to one of the many (uh, many many) bike shops in town). 2. There really are a lot of roadies living in Boulder and a good racing scene in the state as well.

Ok, the downsides: Plenty of cyclists but still a very small fraction of the population. About a third of the motorists here, when they come upon a cyclist(s), they slow down, they give you plenty of room when they pass, they might even give a friendly beep on the horn. Other 2/3 of motorist population in and around Boulder: well, these folks hate cyclists with a passion, they actually swerve at you, sometimes throw things at you, come up right behind you and honk their horn just to stir your pucky, pull out right in front of you on purpose, and generally drive like real callous uncaring scallywags (yep, that's some old school CD friendly cussin' I'm using) with respect to cyclists.

Also, there can be some pretty seriously bad air pollution in the Boulder Valley and on Front Range roads in general. Mainly because there are a lot (often a ton) of cars on the road and it goes from their tailpipes right into your mouth (and how). Thankfully, the crazy, ever present winds (oh yeah, that's another downside 'cept when it's a tailwind) around there tend to blow out the bad air further east while drawing in fresh clean air (ahhhhhh!!!) down from the mountain forests to the west (them be da Rockies).

I spent 2 months in '07 living in Hollywood, CA and I never got on my bike once, although I would have had I stayed longer (and I woulda gotten smushed flat for sure too). I'm not familiar with San Diego, but the Front Range sure as heck doesn't have the level of auto traffic as the LA/SFV/OC areas. City of Boulder roads are incredibly clogged (similar to LA) due to all the univ students, but the city of Boulder's got a great system of bike paths with underpasses and overpasses to keep you safe biking around town.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Great post

Really informative! I biked back in Boulder a couple years ago, but I was blanking on what is why like. Thanks for stirring my memory back up! Its prob. better then San Diego as far as traffic goes!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,422,182 times
I agree that boulder is a mecca for biking. Please remember that in colorado, you have to follow the rules of the road even while on cycle. So many times have I almost hit a cyclist because they did not stop at a stoplight, or swerved out in front of me. I try to accomodate them, and wish them the same with me.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 24,110 times
Hello,
Bicycling is GREAT in Colorado. Boulder is great but it is getting busier. The great thing about Colorado is that you can "get away from it all" in a matter of minutes, really! I live in the conifer area and I go to Denver this time of year to bicycle because the roads are clear. Come summer I'm up in the mountains where the air is clean and there is less traffic. I have lived many other places and this was the first place I lived where there are actually "bicycle lanes". It's great! The only bad thing is that is ALWAYS someone faster than you. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I was doing really well up a hill and someone comes "flying" up past me! Oh well, at least we are both out there enjoying the beautiful mountains!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I agree that boulder is a mecca for biking. Please remember that in colorado, you have to follow the rules of the road even while on cycle. So many times have I almost hit a cyclist because they did not stop at a stoplight, or swerved out in front of me. I try to accomodate them, and wish them the same with me.
I agree with this. Most follow the rules as car drivers do. The few who do not are what frustrate drivers. Everyone needs to share the road and be respectful of each other.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Yah i hear what you guys are saying! How is biking up in the mountains are there many cars back there or just in downtown boulder?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,422,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
Yah i hear what you guys are saying! How is biking up in the mountains are there many cars back there or just in downtown boulder?
it really depends on the day. Weekends in the spring, and the fall are usualy packed with cars in the mountain roads. They are narrow and have tons of switchbacks in them. More caution should be taken while cycling up there. But man is the trip beautifull!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it really depends on the day. Weekends in the spring, and the fall are usualy packed with cars in the mountain roads. They are narrow and have tons of switchbacks in them. More caution should be taken while cycling up there. But man is the trip beautifull!
To add, the roads are also packed with bicyclists. They can and do create their own traffic jams. Plenty of professional bicyclists (road and mountain types) live and train in Boulder; there are group rides. . .

Colorado overall is bicycle friendly. As a road biker, you might be interested in events like the annual Ride the Rockies (http://www.ridetherockies.com/. - broken link).

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM

87 posts, read 416,724 times
Great place to ride if you are aware of riding safely and courteously. Most do try to be safe, cyclist and motoists. There are exceptions. I have experienced both. Some motorists are display bad behavior and so do some cyclists.

I almost had a head on collision with a motorcyclist who was trying to pass a group of about 20 cyclists who wre (illegaly as well as dangerously) riding two abreast and taking up the whole lane of traffic. The law requires single file as close to the side of the road as safely possible. I think this is some of what give cyclist a bad rep.

I've also had things thrown at me, had cars swerve to scare the crap out of me, etc. And thats not cool either. I'm just a poor slob that is in bad shape wearing jeans t-shirt and tennies, not polys funny looking helmets and racing shoes.

So if everyone would be considerate of others it could be an even better deal for all of us!

Last edited by davya; 03-31-2008 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area