Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Floyd once was kidding around with Ray Leonard that Ray got beat by a former lightweight (in Duran). Ray was a welterweight and lost to Duran in their first fight. Duran came up in weight to beat Ray. Floyd told Leonard that Leonard wasn't as good as him because Floyd would never lose to a fighter from a lighter weight.

Well, it's time for Floyd to deliver on that. Leonard was a flashy fighter and a darling of the media. Roberto Duran was also a gifted fighter, ferocious and savage in his fighting spirit. He beat up the talented Leonard, took him out of his game plan and forced him to fight Duran's fight.

Will Pacman be Floyd's Duran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Good question. I am so looking forward to this fight. Hope they decide on Vegas because if it happens there, Im hopping in the car and heading out. Just in case, Im thinking of reserving a room there for the weekend of the 13th just in case.

One thing is certain is that Floyd will be in for the fight of his life. I think this will force him to for the first time in his career, to dig deep and actually come out and FIGHT instead of the run, pot-shot, run, pot-shot, turn the left shoulder, push with the left elbow style he's been doing to every other fighter.

If Floyd comes out and exchanges with Manny and wins by KO, he will be instantly elevated to Sugar Ray Robinson status.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
If Floyd comes out and exchanges with Manny and wins by KO, he will be instantly elevated to Sugar Ray Robinson status.
Very true, if he wins by KO the sports analysts will be carving his face in gold, if he loses in any way, shape, or form a lot of them will say he was overrated. To a lesser degree the same thing will happen with Manny if he wins by KO or loses legitimately. Looking forward to it.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Good question. I am so looking forward to this fight. Hope they decide on Vegas because if it happens there, Im hopping in the car and heading out. Just in case, Im thinking of reserving a room there for the weekend of the 13th just in case.

One thing is certain is that Floyd will be in for the fight of his life. I think this will force him to for the first time in his career, to dig deep and actually come out and FIGHT instead of the run, pot-shot, run, pot-shot, turn the left shoulder, push with the left elbow style he's been doing to every other fighter.

If Floyd exchanges and knocks Manny out, that would be the ultimate to me. I can't imagine that scenario given Floyd's style, but if it happens, I would ALMOST put him in Sugar Ray's level.

The frequency that Ray fought and the number of fights was just mind-boggling. I can't see any fighter measuring up to that, but Floyd would come close with a KO win.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I would put Floyd on Pernell Whitaker's and Sugar Ray Leonard's level but never Robinson's! Matter of fact, there aren't too many fighters who can share the legendary status of Robinson, not in the last 25 years anyway.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I would put Floyd on Pernell Whitaker's and Sugar Ray Leonard's level but never Robinson's! Matter of fact, there aren't too many fighters who can share the legendary status of Robinson, not in the last 25 years anyway.
I agree. Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest of all time.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
I like the comparison, but I think Pacman edges out Duran as far as speed, and I think Leonard had a bit of an edge in ring generalship ( I see yall out there rolling your eyes). This matchup will have people talking right up until it happens.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Floyd once was kidding around with Ray Leonard that Ray got beat by a former lightweight (in Duran). Ray was a welterweight and lost to Duran in their first fight. Duran came up in weight to beat Ray. Floyd told Leonard that Leonard wasn't as good as him because Floyd would never lose to a fighter from a lighter weight.

Well, it's time for Floyd to deliver on that. Leonard was a flashy fighter and a darling of the media. Roberto Duran was also a gifted fighter, ferocious and savage in his fighting spirit. He beat up the talented Leonard, took him out of his game plan and forced him to fight Duran's fight.

Floyd was just mad cause Ray whupped on Floyd Sr.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
he might be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing