Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

San Diego banned drinking on the beach and now the beaches are empty except for the tents that people are drinking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
I've lived in Cocoa beach my whole life, and when the waves are flat the best thing to do is throw out the surf rod and crack a beer! Unfortunately people come from out of town to drink here and leave a complete mess ON the beach regardless of the numerous trash cans that are at every entrance. I live in downtown and the summertime crowd is so out of control the cops have to set up a tent at the end of minuteman causeway(Coconuts). I've seen people drunkenly walk out into traffic to cross A1A, almost getting smacked and flip the cars off. Screaming and yelling at each other, (if they're not already fighting). I've caught people pissing in my yard and throwing trash in my yard. I would love for the MATURE adults to come visit my home whenever they want to. I have no problem with them. Tell the dumbasses to put their drink in a plastic bottle and go to Smyrna. City Counsel is trying to ban drinking if you aren't local, and at the end of minuteman causeway. You'll have to prove residency if your caught with alcohol. So come here, be cool, respect the beach, make friends with the locals, and you can drink! Problem solved.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I am so tired of the majority of people having to suffer because of the minority of people who are just too stupid to live. To me, a beach without beer and Doritos is like a.....a lake at Bible Camp.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Great News. Right after I posted this thread, I saw on the news how the citizens of Cocoa Beach showed up to protest saying things like: "I enjoy havin' a beer on the beach," all the way down to,"If you take the one place people can come from Orlando to drink on the beach, they will go elsewhere." I think it's absolutely shameful that the Mayor would do this at a time when Cocoa Beach already stands to loose A LOT of business with the shuttering of NASA's manned spaceflight program. I don't imagine many people will be flocking to the Space Coast to watch heavy lift rockets take supplies to the Space Station.

I was actually going to go to Volusia to support beach driving and protest against the new "compromises" they have in store, but I think this takes the cake. I'll see you under the Pier with some booze in the blender.

And for any beach driving/beach drinking haters out there ask yourself this: With over 1200 miles of sand beaches and 1800 miles of coastline, why are you so hell-bent on attacking 3 of the only places in the state where adults can enjoy some petro or ethanol related fun??
hello my name is Wayne - I own two music stores in PA (but I hate the winters) soo my family and half my staff are considering moving to cocoa beach and opening another music store with lessons and the like. Being musicians AND family people, we all decided on Cocoa beach because its close to Disney AND WE CAN HAVE A DRINK on the beach. If they take away that right i guess i have a few thousand miles of OTHER coastline to look at moving to.

VERY BAD IDEA to take away one of the strongest points about cocoa beach - it gives a feeling of freedom - a little less BIG BROTHER - I dont even drink, hardly ever, but its just the point - being FREE.
'
Mr. Mayor - I BEG you reconsider the "freedom", I mean alcohol ban !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
I beleive then the problem being a FEW guys that ruining it for everyone - how about this - arreest them for public drunkeness (more revenue for city) ad maybe he word will spread that we must be RESPONSPIBLE

Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Cocoa Beach may ban booze on beach | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

So it seems New Smyrna is not the only beach considering banning a long time tradition that caters to a more mature, adult crowd. For decades, Cocoa Beach has been known as a haven for spaced out NASA folk, Ron Jon surfers, and Dreams of Jeanie. During that same time, beach goers have been able to responsibly enjoy a beer, or mixed drink on the beach. Seems natural that at least some of the beaches in Florida would cater to adult only activities, but today the Cocoa Beach Mayor tried to ban booze. Thoughts, predictions, revolt schedule?
They banned alcohol on the beachs of San Diego out here on the west coast. So now what happens is people will go out about 100 yards into the ocean and drink. I read about that back in July or August.

$50 says the same thing will happen on Cocoa Beach if alcohol gets banned

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
They banned alcohol on the beachs of San Diego out here on the west coast. So now what happens is people will go out about 100 yards into the ocean and drink. I read about that back in July or August.

$50 says the same thing will happen on Cocoa Beach if alcohol gets banned
Funny, but I'll second that bet.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Funny, but I'll second that bet.
Its not a serious bet btw. lol I need to stop saying "$50 says that..." because some people here in Vegas have actually taken that seriously. I could get away with it in Orlando but not so much here. I dont have $50 to bet right now and havent had it for a long time

I read about the San Diego beach drinking ban in USA today back in July or August. they interviewed one beach goer saying he loved drinking in the water saying "This is the best day of my life" Gave me and the gf a good laugh

Atlantic beaches are different from Pacific beaches though. Florida has the Gulf Stream so the water is fairly warm, but also Florida beaches seem to almost ALWAYS have rip current warnings in effect. Get a couple a drunks in the water on one of those days and its bound to cause some real serious problems

Also if Cocoa Beach bans alcohol, Daytona and New Smyrna may follow suit. If that happens, there's going to be a HUGE increase in shark bite attacks in Volusia County

If that (though HIGHLY unlikely) were to happen (the alcohol ban) on South Florida's truly tropical beaches there's going to be a lot more sting ray attacks as well if there are drunk people in the water

I dont think this alcohol ban is a good idea AT ALL

Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Its not a serious bet btw. lol I need to stop saying "$50 says that..." because some people here in Vegas have actually taken that seriously. I could get away with it in Orlando but not so much here. I dont have $50 to bet right now and havent had it for a long time

I read about the San Diego beach drinking ban in USA today back in July or August. they interviewed one beach goer saying he loved drinking in the water saying "This is the best day of my life" Gave me and the gf a good laugh

Atlantic beaches are different from Pacific beaches though. Florida has the Gulf Stream so the water is fairly warm, but also Florida beaches seem to almost ALWAYS have rip current warnings in effect. Get a couple a drunks in the water on one of those days and its bound to cause some real serious problems

Also if Cocoa Beach bans alcohol, Daytona and New Smyrna may follow suit. If that happens, there's going to be a HUGE increase in shark bite attacks in Volusia County

If that (though HIGHLY unlikely) were to happen (the alcohol ban) on South Florida's truly tropical beaches there's going to be a lot more sting ray attacks as well if there are drunk people in the water

I dont think this alcohol ban is a good idea AT ALL
Ha ha now's that's funny!! Actually, Cocoa is one of the few places in the state where you can drink on the beach, no glass of course. However, after the voters in Cali pass prop 19, I don't think drinking on the beach will be the only recreational activity going on. Man, wouldn't it be nice if Florida did the same thing and allowed adults to be adults... now I'm just dreaming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County