Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
As some of you know from a few of my post I have been trying to move to florida for a while.

Well I was recently accepted into Florida Institute Of Technology, in Melbourne. (My Majors : Aeronauctical Science / Engineering
(Address: 150 W. University Blvd. 32901)
I was wondering on how the area around the school is. Crime, Jobs.
(Safely Walkable, Joggable, Bikeable).
I will be living off campus, and I'm in the process of picking a apartment complex. Close to the school of course.

I have read that Melbourne boring, and there is no night life. I'm not really a partier at the moment. Is it really that layed back? (I hope so)

Also I am a African American I was wondering if any Blacks have any opinion on the area? I have read on other sites that certain areas maybe a bit "racist."
My friends say that's not really true but I'm just curious. Plus I can speak multiple languages, (English, French, Russian and currently learning spanish) I just don't want to be a outcast down there. I have no problem being a "minority" I just don't want any trouble. Not looking for a "Naacp everywhere" place just a bit of diversity without trouble.

I plan to visit of course, just want to know what the local residents think.
Thanks for any Input.
If anyone got any input on the school or area please post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM

I have visited Daytona Beach near the Speedway/Embry Riddle area, are they basically the same kind of lifestyle?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
FIT and the area immediately around it is perfectly safe. East of Babcock along University is one of Melbourne's bad parts of town, but the crime almost never spills out into the surrounding areas. And it's a bad area for Melbourne, but nothing like the bad parts of Miami or Orlando. It's mostly gang and drug-related crime. You wouldn't get carjacked or anything driving through at night. I've been to the stores and restaurants around FIT and never felt even remotely unsafe, even late at night.

Melbourne is one of the most pedestrian and bike friendly places I've lived. Every major road has sidewalks and crosswalks, and many roads have dedicated bike lanes. Since it's suburban though, things tend to be farther apart than in an urban area.

As for Melbourne being boring, it is what you make of it. There's plenty of nightlife, and it's gotten much better in the past 5 years. Downtown Melbourne has a number of bars and is usually crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. There aren't too many night clubs, just bars, so it does tend to be laid-back.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 15,344 times
Congrats on your acceptance to FIT! I have a lot of friends who loved going to school there. I've lived "beachside" since '08 having moved from a large city. This place is a whole other world. I like to joke that I suffer from "lack of culture" shock It is definitely a small town. I will not sugarcoat that there are full on racists here. FULL ON. There is a big drug problem, specifically pills. Our cars have been broken into 4 times, in 3 different areas of town, including at the hospital when I had our son. The area immediately surrounding FIT is decent as it surrounds the university. It being a college, there is a bit of diversity, but overall, there is not much diversity in the county. Don't venture east on University Blvd - crack town. There are a lot of rednecks, bible beaters & trailer trash. But there are also a whole lot of down home shirt off your back friendly folks too. Downtown Melbourne is tiny, but packs quite a few night spots into 4 blocks. There are other places to go smattered throughout the area that appeal to those interested in pool, karaoke, bands, etc. There are a few great non-chain restaurants, but no good Mexican food. Having a car will make your life more convenient as the public transit system is poo. It is not feasible to rely solely on a bike in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. #1 - TERRIBLE drivers. The worst, with a complete lack of common sense or any driving skill. #2 - the cities are so spread out and convoluted in their development it boggles the mind. Definitely get something close to FIT as you should be able to walk/bike/bum a ride to local shops. I've never heard anything terrible about the Saratoga Apts, but don't know anyone who's lived there recently - the majority of the apts in that area are utilized by FIT students so they are vetted accordingly. I would also contact school's housing department to find out more information as surely they wouldn't encourage students to live somewhere terrible The weather is as you would expect in the south - hot w/ high humidity, it doesn't rain nearly as much as you would think and yes - it does get cold! (35 this morning w/ windchill!)

Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
I will agree with leslie101 that there's no outstanding Mexican food in town! There are a few places that are decent though. Salsas downtown is probably the best, and Racho Viejo on Palm Bay Road is usually pretty good also. It's nothing like I've had out in Texas or California though. Avoid Cantina Dos Amigos beachside - that place is the worst. I've been there 5 or 6 times and NEVER had a good meal!

I've lived here since '06, and I live in Palm Bay. For what it's worth, I've never had my car broken into (or even evidence of an attempt) and never encountered drugs since I've lived here. I've heard the pills are a bigger problem beachside though, particularly among teenagers.

Some other good restaurant recommendations near FIT:
El Bohio - excellent Puerto Rican/Cuban food, NE corner of Babcock and Palm Bay Road
Broken Barrel Tavern - great BBQ and a HUGE beer list - SW corner of Babcock and Palm Bay Road
Island Pasta - an upscale casual restaurant downtown, they have interesting Caribbean-pasta dishes
Meg O'Malleys - Irish pub/restaurant downtown. Good food but a bit pricey
Longdoggers - 2 near FIT - one on A1A beachside just north of 192 and one on the corner of Palm Bay Road and Minton. Good wings, hot dogs, and hamburgers. Really laid-back.

As for racism, being white, I can't speak first-hand about it. Nobody I know is openly a racist, but living in Palm Bay a number of my neighbors are immigrants and minorities, so it may just be where I live that I don't see it. FIT is a very diverse school though; it particularly has a high number of foreign students.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 15,344 times
Cantina is terrible! Rancho Viejo is the best - based not only that we love it, everyone we know does too! Broken Barrel has great food!
Our car has been broken into twice in Palm Bay - in different locations (once by an adult pill head - I caught him in the act) and twice in Melbourne - different locations. And not in cracky places you would necessarily expect it.
Never in my life (this is the 3rd state I have lived in) have I ever heard someone refer to someone as the N word, nor in a million years did I think I'd ever witness it (many, many times sadly). This being a conservative right wing county I have also heard people refer to the President in this way, as well as phrases like "they should bring lynching back." I am not naive and don't think racism doesn't exist - it is just shocking to see it not only tolerated, but accepted and so openly/publicly expressed. All of these instances have taken place Melbourne/Palm Bay.
There is a very real and very big drug problem in Melbourne & Palm Bay and not just w/ the high school kids. My friends who are cops in that area deal w/ it on a daily basis. I have never seen a drug deal in the middle of the beachside Walmart, but have seen it at the WalMart on Palm Bay Rd and on Sarno Rd. Of course - it WAS WalMart
FIT as a top notch school has a very diverse culture thanks to students from all over the US and the world. My friends who have/currently attend really love it. Once you move here, your friends will be able to give you the ins & outs of whats hot, what's cool and where to never go

Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie101 View Post
Congrats on your acceptance to FIT! I have a lot of friends who loved going to school there. I've lived "beachside" since '08 having moved from a large city. This place is a whole other world. I like to joke that I suffer from "lack of culture" shock It is definitely a small town. I will not sugarcoat that there are full on racists here. FULL ON. There is a big drug problem, specifically pills. Our cars have been broken into 4 times, in 3 different areas of town, including at the hospital when I had our son. The area immediately surrounding FIT is decent as it surrounds the university. It being a college, there is a bit of diversity, but overall, there is not much diversity in the county. Don't venture east on University Blvd - crack town. There are a lot of rednecks, bible beaters & trailer trash. But there are also a whole lot of down home shirt off your back friendly folks too. Downtown Melbourne is tiny, but packs quite a few night spots into 4 blocks. There are other places to go smattered throughout the area that appeal to those interested in pool, karaoke, bands, etc. There are a few great non-chain restaurants, but no good Mexican food. Having a car will make your life more convenient as the public transit system is poo. It is not feasible to rely solely on a bike in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. #1 - TERRIBLE drivers. The worst, with a complete lack of common sense or any driving skill. #2 - the cities are so spread out and convoluted in their development it boggles the mind. Definitely get something close to FIT as you should be able to walk/bike/bum a ride to local shops. I've never heard anything terrible about the Saratoga Apts, but don't know anyone who's lived there recently - the majority of the apts in that area are utilized by FIT students so they are vetted accordingly. I would also contact school's housing department to find out more information as surely they wouldn't encourage students to live somewhere terrible The weather is as you would expect in the south - hot w/ high humidity, it doesn't rain nearly as much as you would think and yes - it does get cold! (35 this morning w/ windchill!)
thanks for the replies everyone!
And thanks for the tip on sarotoga apts I did not know about that complex. I was looking into "lake in the woods" and Harbor pointe (maybe harbor place), both are pretty close to the complex.

Kind of concerned on the race issue.
Hopefully I wont have many issues. lol. I'm not someone who gets offended easily. I just want to make sure it safe for me and any family that come with me.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM

If anyone else has any opinions on the school or area please post

Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM

12 posts, read 28,465 times
The best Mexican food in Florida is unquestionably in San Antonio, Fl. Can't remember the name but the downtown is very small and you can't miss it. San Antonio is off of I-75 and well worth the trip. We also live in Palm Bay and have never been subject to any criminal activity, not once. Good luck on FIT!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,727 times
I live right by the Melbourne Brevard Community College campus in a complex called Rivercrest. It's not that far from FIT (maybe 10 minutes with decent traffic). I've seen some sketchy things on University (I drive through that area all the time.) Melbourne is weird. There are slum-pockets and most of the self-appointed gangsters I've seen keep to themselves unless you stare them down.
I've seen them tap on people's cars and heckle people at red-lights too. I guess it depends on the time of day/whoever's out.
Other than that, it's pretty much a calm area. Nothing much to worry about if you don't travel down those roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County