Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a Family of 4 in our mid 20's with a toddler and elementary school age child relocating from NY to Palm Bay. I will be transfering with my company and will be working in Melbourne. My wife works in e-commerce so she will be working from home while being a stay at home mom with our youngest. I have family in Palm Bay already so I have visited a few times already. We love the atmoshphere of the area. We currently live in NYC and cannot wait to leave it all behind. What we would like is infomation about the better parts of palm bay? Is the NE/NW or SE/SW the place to be in terms of safer streets, good schools, Family Friendly neighbors, and easier access to shopping. We will be renting for a year or so to feel things out and we have looked at the comps in the area and would like to spend $750-$1000 for a 3/2 single family home. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we will be making this move in the next few weeks.

Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,590 times
Palm Bay is an odd city at times. NE and NW tend to be a bit nicer in my opinion, but that's just a generalization. To be honest, it sometimes seems to be on a street-by-street basis whether it's nice or not. There are some weird spots NE and NW, and some nice spots SE and SW. You'll just have to drive around and explore.

Probably a better indicator would actually be whether the area has city water or well water. The parts of town with city water tend to be nicer from what I've seen. Don't be afraid of septic tanks though. Much of PB doesn't have sewers, but it it's not as big of a deal as you may think.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 10,725 times
Thank You very much for your input. I will definitely take a look around then to see what works best for us we would definitely prefer city water though for sure. Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM

115 posts, read 319,352 times
I completely agree with jdoty that the neighborhoods can vary from block to block a bit. I like west PB better than east, although either one isn't too bad really. Emerson, San Fillipo, and Jupiter, and the roads that lead off of them are good places to start imo. Eldron gets a bit traffic hairy south of Malabar Rd: is 2 lane, work traffic, with lots of schools right off that rd.

The homes in east palm bay tend to be older, and not kept up so well. However, I'm sure if you look, you'll find a nice home on that side of town too. The plus to living in east palm bay is that you get a slight ocean breeze, which is welcomed during the hot summer months. Also consider looking in West Melbourne. They sorta run into each other, and there are some very nice homes there too.

A bit of warning though. If you head too far west, towards the very west side of Malabar Rd, cell phone reception drops dramatically. I have some friends that live off Seeley Cir and I plan on having no reception everytime I visit.

Here is a sight that helps give you an idea of the local elementary schools. I went to Port Malabar Elementary and always felt I had a very good education there, and felt it gave me a good foundation for future acadamia.
Ranking of Elementary Schools in Brevard District

Elementary School Boundary Map:
http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/schools/pdf/Elementary%20School%20Boundaries.pdf (broken link)

In PB, the only place I might suggest u steer clear of is NE Palm Bay, the very northern most. Particularly off of the Roads Robert J Conlan and Liscomb (crime). Also, most people consider right next to the Indian River (Route 1) shady. Route 1, especially towards Melbourne, is where you will see prostitutes and such. Farther south off of Route 1 however, south of I'd say Palm Bay Rd, is generally a nicer area.

I'm sure your already aware, but in case you weren't, Malabar and Port Malabar are 2 completely different roads. Sometimes visitors and newcommers mix them up!

Lastly, before you rent, talk with the landlord about any improvements he/she may have made to the house to make it more hurricane proof. Questions such as "How old are the tiles on the roof" and "Is this a street that tends to flood during tropical systems" are important. As a rule, and imo an absolute must, find a house on a bit of an incline. A lot of PB floods during tropical systems (with the massive amounts of rain), and if your on an incline, you and your car will not be submerged under 5 inches of water. Sounds a bit dramatic, but if you stay here for long enough, you'll be a million times greatful that you rented/brought a house on an incline.

Good luck, and Welcome to Palm Bay!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times
Annagurl333 gave some great info and resources to look into but here is some general feedback from somebody that grew up in the area & also still has family there.

As others have mentioned...Palm Bay can vary in each of the 4 areas. This is in part due to being such a large area land-wise. So even though your worst parts may be in NE towards Melbourne...I'd say NE also has (tied for) the most desirable area to move into. Dividing lines are Malabar Road (for North/South) & Minton Rd (for East/West). So, as you'll see from a map...parts of the areas are intersected by I-95 so realize you'll potentially have completely different neighborhoods but still listed as the same section.

NE has nice neighborhoods such as Lockmar. Since you have kids, I'd lean heavily towards Lockmar because of the schools (Lockmar Schools) & proximity to shopping & I-95. This area has mixtures of newer & older construction, and are more likely to feel like a community environment from street to street. I'd also say that Port Malabar is also a good school & area...I'd suggest the area known as Malabar, which is south of Malabar Rd & just East of Babcock (not too far though) if you want a little more land. There are also other spots here & there in NE that are nice...but these are 2 you can focus on. Some might say another is Turkey Creek while others might feel it is a bit too close to undesirable areas...so get a feel for these yourself and make your own determinations.

NW is primarily newer residential. The closer to Emerson Dr & Minton Rd you get...I'd say the more desirable as a general guideline. I'd suggest staying within the McAuliffe area though there are hit & miss streets in all of NW...so spend a lot of time driving thru if you find something you are really considering. The further away from Minton you get...the more rural it will feel to you as well (could be desirable, could be less desirable).

SE is another area that has some major differences like NE does. You have lower income & rural areas like what surrounds Turner, to very high income areas further south at Bayside Lakes (Westside). I'd recommend Bayside the highest if income & housing costs are not an issue. There are lots of newer communities there (gated) and new shopping as well. This area will also likely continue to see more shopping/restaurant options added as well over time. There is also the areas which fall into Sunrise...I lived out there myself however, not when I had school aged kids and it did not exist when I was growing up. I can tell you that the area is more rural but was pretty consistent in being a good family area...though it is a bit removed & a good hike if you need to get to I-95 daily and drive north (not much traffic...but you are still talking 10 minutes just to get to the interstate).

Much of SW falls into the rural category as well but also falls into Westside & is closest to Bayside Lakes shopping & schools. So, this may be a good option for you if you are looking for lower costs but reasonable amenities. You aren't likely to have city water there however, unless you are directly on a main road or are just lucky. Streets can be hit & miss so thoroughly scope out an area you plan to live (as always...but just reiterating).

So to summarize...I'd suggest looking at houses to rent/buy in Lockmar & Westside...strongly consider Port Malabar, McAuliffe, & Sunrise...consider parts of Columbia, Jupiter, & Palm Bay elem...and likely look elsewhere from Turner, Riviera, Discovery. You shouldn't feel unsafe in any of the latter area schools mentioned...just not as likely to appeal to you & be as easy for your family to adapt to from my experiences in the area.

Best of luck to all of those relocating to the area. I think you'll find a very appealing lifestyle for families in the area.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
Good luck in the move. My family and I were looking to locate back to Palm Bay, but no job was available at that time.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Annagurl333 gave some great info and resources to look into but here is some general feedback from somebody that grew up in the area & also still has family there.

As others have mentioned...Palm Bay can vary in each of the 4 areas. This is in part due to being such a large area land-wise. So even though your worst parts may be in NE towards Melbourne...I'd say NE also has (tied for) the most desirable area to move into. Dividing lines are Malabar Road (for North/South) & Minton Rd (for East/West). So, as you'll see from a map...parts of the areas are intersected by I-95 so realize you'll potentially have completely different neighborhoods but still listed as the same section.

NE has nice neighborhoods such as Lockmar. Since you have kids, I'd lean heavily towards Lockmar because of the schools (Lockmar Schools) & proximity to shopping & I-95. This area has mixtures of newer & older construction, and are more likely to feel like a community environment from street to street. I'd also say that Port Malabar is also a good school & area...I'd suggest the area known as Malabar, which is south of Malabar Rd & just East of Babcock (not too far though) if you want a little more land. There are also other spots here & there in NE that are nice...but these are 2 you can focus on. Some might say another is Turkey Creek while others might feel it is a bit too close to undesirable areas...so get a feel for these yourself and make your own determinations.

NW is primarily newer residential. The closer to Emerson Dr & Minton Rd you get...I'd say the more desirable as a general guideline. I'd suggest staying within the McAuliffe area though there are hit & miss streets in all of NW...so spend a lot of time driving thru if you find something you are really considering. The further away from Minton you get...the more rural it will feel to you as well (could be desirable, could be less desirable).

SE is another area that has some major differences like NE does. You have lower income & rural areas like what surrounds Turner, to very high income areas further south at Bayside Lakes (Westside). I'd recommend Bayside the highest if income & housing costs are not an issue. There are lots of newer communities there (gated) and new shopping as well. This area will also likely continue to see more shopping/restaurant options added as well over time. There is also the areas which fall into Sunrise...I lived out there myself however, not when I had school aged kids and it did not exist when I was growing up. I can tell you that the area is more rural but was pretty consistent in being a good family area...though it is a bit removed & a good hike if you need to get to I-95 daily and drive north (not much traffic...but you are still talking 10 minutes just to get to the interstate).

Much of SW falls into the rural category as well but also falls into Westside & is closest to Bayside Lakes shopping & schools. So, this may be a good option for you if you are looking for lower costs but reasonable amenities. You aren't likely to have city water there however, unless you are directly on a main road or are just lucky. Streets can be hit & miss so thoroughly scope out an area you plan to live (as always...but just reiterating).

So to summarize...I'd suggest looking at houses to rent/buy in Lockmar & Westside...strongly consider Port Malabar, McAuliffe, & Sunrise...consider parts of Columbia, Jupiter, & Palm Bay elem...and likely look elsewhere from Turner, Riviera, Discovery. You shouldn't feel unsafe in any of the latter area schools mentioned...just not as likely to appeal to you & be as easy for your family to adapt to from my experiences in the area.

Best of luck to all of those relocating to the area. I think you'll find a very appealing lifestyle for families in the area.
Have to disagree on the area close to Turner. We just bought a house off Eldron and this area has just as nice of homes as Lockmar. Many were built since 2000. People keep their property looking good. There are sidewalks on Eldron . It is quiet. People are friendly. Lived here for 6 months now and we know everyone who lives on the street compared to knowing only about half the people at our other house in SE sector. We love seeing kids who actually play outside. Most of our neighbors have pools, boats, etc. and hopefully we will have a pool by next year. Our house is a 1984 home that we are completely remodeling, but the house next door was built in 2008. This area has city water which is a plus.
Like most areas-even Lockmar you will see a few homes that are cluttered or not taken care of, but that seems to be the norm down here.
Does not matter where you live in Palm Bay, you will probably find a mini UN. People are here from everywhere. One friend from up North told me she loved coming to my store and just listening to announcements on the PA because of the accents. We had people on staff from China, Puerto Rico, Russia, France, Kentucky, Boston, Argentina, England, Belgium, Jamaica, and Italy.

As for West side....i We did not even look at most of the Southwest sector because it was too rural and far out for us. Takes too long to get anywhere. Northwest sector seemed too NE USA to us. Houses closer and some areas really rundown. Liked some homes far from the Minton/Emerson/Jupiter area better than the ones close in. Advantage there most houses had city water. Some how the homes we looked at in that direction seemed to be hones that may have been used as grow houses.

There are areas in the NE sector that we looked at but avoided the Port Malabar/Bianca/US! areas. Even the areas East and West of Port Malabar Elem are getting older and some of the subdivisions that were kind of nice when we lived there so the kids could go to Port Malabar have changed and not as clean and well kept as they were. Homes needing remodeling out number the ones well kept etc in the area we lived at the end of Charles. Port Malabar school does not have as high a status as it used to among the Palm Bay schools either. Still not bad- sort of just the same as the rest instead of excelling in everything like it used to. Almost every school in Palm Bay is rated an A school and there are good teachers in every area. JMHO as a former teacher.

And Mark....would someone in your family be a person who takes pictures and sells insurance?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Hehe...funny you ask that. I assume you are asking because you recognize the last name? I have an aunt who does work in insurance (though I don't believe she sells insurance and she's not an avid photographer or anything to my knowledge). But my user name is not anything close to my real name...just a character in a story I liked.

I am guessing you are not in the area around Turner I was mostly referring to then. I am talking roughly the area from Eldron/Jupiter to Emerson/Starland. That's a large area to classify the same way but I had actually grown up there and recently was back in town cruising through my old area. I was surprised at how little had changed in the areas I drove through. But I didn't drive through much north of Jupiter or west of Eldron so I could have missed a lot of good neighborhoods. Also...just to clarify, I wouldn't say they are bad areas anyway...just looked unchanged. That's not always a bad thing, but though.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Hehe...funny you ask that. I assume you are asking because you recognize the last name? I have an aunt who does work in insurance (though I don't believe she sells insurance and she's not an avid photographer or anything to my knowledge). But my user name is not anything close to my real name...just a character in a story I liked.

I am guessing you are not in the area around Turner I was mostly referring to then. I am talking roughly the area from Eldron/Jupiter to Emerson/Starland. That's a large area to classify the same way but I had actually grown up there and recently was back in town cruising through my old area. I was surprised at how little had changed in the areas I drove through. But I didn't drive through much north of Jupiter or west of Eldron so I could have missed a lot of good neighborhoods. Also...just to clarify, I wouldn't say they are bad areas anyway...just looked unchanged. That's not always a bad thing, but though.

Actually, Turner is just right up Eldron about 1 mile from the side street you take to get to our house. We are South of Jupiter and West of Eldron and there are some beautiful homes in this area. There are pockets not as nice but actually not a bad area to live.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually, Turner is just right up Eldron about 1 mile from the side street you take to get to our house. We are South of Jupiter and West of Eldron and there are some beautiful homes in this area. There are pockets not as nice but actually not a bad area to live.
Hmm...looks like I'll have some sight seeing to do when I get back there. I didnt go around that area at all.

I mostly turned in from Emerson on some various streets I recalled from years back and then followed through all the backroads I knew. Those areas looked pretty much the same. Not much new but also not a lot of trashy yards and the like either (which I think there were more of years ago). A couple of streets were rougher looking but certainly not bad.

Overall, I have to say I was pleasantly impressed with Palm Bay. The whole town looked clean and well kept. Most of the shopping plazas looked freshly painted and clean and the whole area had a nice vibe riding through. Like a lot of new blood...which I think is a good thing compared to the way it was 10-15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County