Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 21,761 times

Advertisements

We're going to be moving to the Cocoa, Merritt Island, Rockledge area in a few months (From Minnesota). Are those areas good places to live in terms of stuff to do, no crime, good schools, etc? Our budget is about $150k-$200k max, mostly because we want extra money for traveling so we want to be somewhat cheap, hence the $200k max.

From what I've read so far, is that Cocoa has a lot of crime, is this true? Anyone have experiences living in those areas, and if so, what would you recommend?

Basically, what we're looking for is a peaceful old Florida type of area, stuff to do (non-party scene, we're middle aged), and an area that has a lot of IT and nursing jobs. From what I read, I think Merritt Island fits that bill?

We've driven through some of those areas while vacationing, loved them, but we didn't look deeper in terms of living there, but now that is turning into a reality. Any thoughts and help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,907 times
Cocoa, not Cocoa Beach, has its good and not so good areas. Large area so you would need to drive around and see for yourself. I think you would be better off in Merritt Island, which also has many different areas to consider. Drive around north and south off 528 and 520. Up and around Courtenay, North and South Bannana and Newfound Harbor. Lots to see.
Your price point, right now, is possible. But look at what you are getting. Most in that range are more original and will likely need some work. You do sometimes get lucky. Get yourself a good realtor and have MLS lists sent to you automatically every day, wth your price parameters. I would go up to $230k which will get you something that will likely need a lot less work. You also can always negotiate and maybe get lucky with a sell price closer to your target.
Best thing is drive around multiple times at different times of day and on different days of the week. Stuff happens at odd hours and you want to test the waters a bit before jumping in on that seemingly cheap great deal.
The more you look at different price points (even higher to get a taste) and many areas as possible, you will be better able to know where and when the good deal pops up. It takes time, patience and timing. When clock strikes October, the best deals will be gone...
Have fun in the search.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
At $200k I would think west Melbourne might be a better safer bet than cocoa

Old 06-25-2018, 01:55 PM

370 posts, read 903,108 times
There is at least one smaller place I know of in a really nice little spot in Cocoa, but if I had kids in school I'd rather them be on Merritt. Oh wait... you don't! Melbourne is newer/nicer but it's way too busy for me.

Like everyone else said, you need to come down and *see* it. Florida is as patchy a place as I've ever seen for nice areas (whatever that means to you).

Where in Minnesota are you coming from? My wife and I were originally in South Florida until we ended up getting stuck out by Lake Minnetonka for much longer than we preferred. We were looking to get home (Florida) to a sleepier place than SoFla and we found it in Cocoa.

Feel free to IM me, I might be able to level-set you on expectations, etc. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Your price point, right now, is possible. But look at what you are getting. Most in that range are more original and will likely need some work. You do sometimes get lucky. Get yourself a good realtor and have MLS lists sent to you automatically every day, wth your price parameters. I would go up to $230k which will get you something that will likely need a lot less work. You also can always negotiate and maybe get lucky with a sell price closer to your target.
We might go that high, but I guess it depends on what we find in Merritt. I don't mind getting my hands dirty with tiling floors, painting, and such if it means I can save some money doing some work in the process to make the home better. We're also looking at the size of yard as well, and would probably get a 1/4 acre or more, since we want to try some backyard permaculture gardening/food forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Where in Minnesota are you coming from? My wife and I were originally in South Florida until we ended up getting stuck out by Lake Minnetonka for much longer than we preferred. We were looking to get home (Florida) to a sleepier place than SoFla and we found it in Cocoa.
We're also near Lake Minnetonka, and as much as I like Minnesota, I just don't like the snow anymore. Too many years of it. We're also looking for a sleepier type of place, somewhere relaxed. But, since we're still looking at working for a couple more decades, we'll need an area that has IT and medical jobs for us. I thought I read that Merritt has a lot of that, is that true that you know of?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,907 times
You may need to look to North Merritt Island to find 1/4 or larger average. Most older lots are a bit smaller. You just gave to look around. Painting is easier than putting in a new kitchen or getting a pool vs. none. Lots of give and take.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 11,960 times
For that price you can purchase a new home in Bayside Lakes-Palm Bay. I just moved here from California, I live in Viera East and Rockledge is not that nice, looks old and run down same goes for Cocoa and a lot of crime in Cocoa.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:09 PM

370 posts, read 903,108 times
Lol, yeah, stay out of Cocoa for sure. Definitely stay out of the Indian River Drive area. Slums! Crime! Surly neighbors! If only we had more people to tell us how bad it sucked.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all of the insight, I really appreciate it! On another note, anyone been to Vero Beach? How's that place for a nice community, crime, employment?

Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzilla View Post
Thanks for all of the insight, I really appreciate it! On another note, anyone been to Vero Beach? How's that place for a nice community, crime, employment?
Zero beach? It's much quieter than Melbourne, less going on as whole, no aerospace/defense sector like you'll find in Brevard County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County