Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 74,430 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread once before because my family is moving to Florida... we are visiting in about two weeks and will be choosing a list of homes to view with our realtor. I would like the opinions of people who already live in Brevard County and was wondering in your opinion what are the ratings of the following towns from best to worst? I'm looking for the best town to raise a family.

Titusville
Port St. John
Rockledge
Merritt Island
Cocoa Beach
Melbourne

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,239,268 times
All those towns have pros/cons of course. I would stick with Rockledge, Cocoa Beach or Melbourne. Considering how many jobs have been lost/will be lost with USA/Space center layoffs, there should be tons to choose from.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 AM

469 posts, read 1,323,533 times
Rent first. If you have children in school- Melbourne (especially suntree and viera), West Melbourne, and beachside. I'm not too sure about Rockledge but I wanna say its comparable to Melbourne. Cocoa Beach is good (not Cocoa). I wouldn't consider the other towns unless your child will be attending one of Brevard County's "schools of choice" and not the "neighborhood" school.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 AM

27 posts, read 133,347 times
Merritt Island
Cocoa Beach
Port St. John
Rockledge/Titusville
Melbourne

Port st john has gone downhill fast after the lay offs.. Titusville was already on its way down before that happened.
Melbourne,some areas worse than others ,although in all honesty its been years since i was near there. Mainly was around Viera.

Put them in order for you.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM

26,836 posts, read 43,324,756 times
I just posted on another thread of oft-overlooked Satellite Beach. It has the highest rated schools overall in the area, all "A" rated by the state and "10" from Great Schools on all but one school. It's a safe, well established family community and worth exploring. Good luck!

Satellite Beach Schools - Satellite Beach Florida School Ratings - Public and Private
Satellite Beach
//www.city-data.com/city/Satell...h-Florida.html

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM

41 posts, read 126,312 times
I grew up in all the areas posted, since most of them blend together. As much as I dislike Fl Merritt Island will always be "home". It has a small town feel and even with our population beware as gossip will spread like wildfire. As for schools I agree with the above post. I went to schools in Merritt Island and Cocoa(not Cocoa Beach) and they were ok. I ended in private school for the better part of my education to put it into perspective.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,185,820 times
HurricaneA - Can you give me some info on the cities that the OP listed? We are relocating in Dec. (hubby working out of Orlando Airport) and would greatly appreciate additional info. I don't need any school info, though...We were initially thinking about Cocoa, but would like to consider other nearby cities as well.
Thanks a bunch!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM

I am not sure who OP is? if you mean sp here we go
Rockledge- I am not a fan of Rockledge there are many not so nice areas there, but also just some run of your mill neighborhoods. There really is not much there, except an ice skating rink It is also close to a hospital
Cocoa Beach-is a pain in the tush to drive in, so many dang tourists. There is the majority of everything you need and if by chance you can't find it a short drive into Merritt Island and its there (a mall and target as well as a movie theater) Is also close to a hospital, the nicer one if I do say so myself.
Melbourne- Nice area, my mom has a company out there. This is an area I do not know all that well but it is close to Viera which has a great outdoor mall with a big movie theater. It is not far from the beaches. That is about all I know about it, sorry I could not help much with this area I only went there to go to Viera or work with my mom.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM

115 posts, read 318,033 times
Hello.

As my opinion would go, it would depend on where your job is located, whether it would be the northern or southern half of the county. If jobs (or job location) isn't an issue, I am much more fond of either Titusville, Merritt Island, or the Palm Bay/Melbourne area.

Titusville is sadly a bit too empty. A lot of families have been leaving since the space program blew and they were unable to find decent work in other parts of the this county. It's fairly nice though, with pockets of bad areas, like anywhere else. This might sound weird, but everytime I go into a restaurant or Walmart over there, I always leave thinking "wow, those were very friendly people".

PB/Melb is a bit more built up, and their economy wasn't quite so dependent on the space station. Its a good area all in all. Also consider West Melbourne if you plan on buying a home. They are separate cities, even though many people don't really know where the city lines are between them. Palm Bay is more residential. Many people live in PB, and work/shop/play in Melbourne.

Agreed about the traffic in the Cocoa beach area. It is a bit too much, although nothing like Orlando. I'm sure it's not pretty during hurricane evacuation when everyone is trying to leave over the bridges at the same time. When you get out the touristy areas, it's pretty quaint.

I wouldn't live in Rockledge at all. To me, the entire city is both A) too close to Cocoa (crime), and B) one big shady area with pockets of nice areas mixed in between. Don't let the area right around I95 and Fiske be your only judge of the area.

Merritt Island is somewhat nicer. I do like it. There are decent choices in shopping and dinning. It has its good and bad places like anywhere else, but overall it feels pretty safe.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with your trip down here! take care!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM

Palm Bay is dying also. Houses are cheap, but my parents keep saying there is a reason for it. My mom has a swimming pool company in the area and she dislikes Palm Bay. Melbourne is nice. Merritt Island only one section of town is "icky" and that is mainly between Easy Street and Players lane which runs along N. Tropical Trail. S. Tropical Trail is a nice area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County