Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

20 posts, read 77,409 times

Advertisements

Moving to Niagara Falls NY Oct 12 2007
What are best areas to live, buy, or rent listed first to last, with first being the best?

With housing priced as low as I've seen, why would I rent and not buy?

Also, is Niagara Falls NY in the snow belt?

What areas flood, if any in Niagara Falls proper and surrounding areas?

Are taxes really very high?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,275,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmonique View Post
Moving to Niagara Falls NY Oct 12 2007
What are best areas to live, buy, or rent listed first to last, with first being the best?

With housing priced as low as I've seen, why would I rent and not buy?

Also, is Niagara Falls NY in the snow belt?

What areas flood, if any in Niagara Falls proper and surrounding areas?

Are taxes really very high?

Thanks in advance.
I don't really go to Niagara Falls that often so I don't know too much about the snow or the flooding. I don't think Niagara Falls lies in the snow belts. Thats mainly in the southtowns where I currently live.
Same for the flooding.. I would try and get more opinions but I dont really recall ever hearing that be much of an issue up there..

A lot of times it is cheaper to buy in this area than rent...however id say since you arn't from here you might want to start off renting just a little while to see if you like the neighborhood or the area.

Taxes here are high but everything is priced real cheap. Thats kind of why the prices on homes are low. Honestly I think it kind of evens out, as much as people complain about it.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:01 AM

Thank you. That's what I was hoping...that the taxes and cost of living evens out. I've read stuff on this site about commuting to other areas for work with little traffic, horrible economies, and such. Much research to do. You all are great for the help you provide. Thank you very much!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 AM

Hey Mouse,
Can a rear wheel drive car survive in the snows up there? I'd probably need to get snow tires? Would it survive then? It's kind of my baby and I don't want to damage her. She's a 300C.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Mmonique. At one time I looked at moving to Niagara Falls and I even went so far as to look at a couple of homes. However, I changed my mind after I found out the following:

*The population of the city has dropped in half over the last 30 to 40 years.
*The violent crime rate is much higher than it should be for a city of less than 60,000 people.
*Hazardous waste in the ground has resulted in an unusually high number of cancer cases in the city.

I highly recommend that you read the Gazette online every day.
Niagara Gazette - Homepage In addition, they have a very active Forum on this site that will give you a very good idea of what the city is about. Go to the very bottom of the main page and look for "Community and Discussion Forums". You'll probably get more answers to your questions in those Forums than at this board.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 125,670 times
Default Niagara Falls

I live about 35 minutes south of Niagara Falls. I have lived in this area my whole life. I love visiting Niagara Falls, but I would never encourage anyone to live there. The area really has gone down hill in the last few years, and the crime has gone up.

Is there are reason that you have to live right in Niagara Falls? There are so many nicer suburbs, that are really not far away...as I said it takes me about 35 minutes to get to the Falls, and its a pretty easy ride.

I would be happy to reccomend some other surrounding areas if thats an option for you!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,149 times
Wink Niagara Falls isn't that bad of place to live

I've lived here all my life and as for the snow, the bulk of the snow is more in the southern part of western NY. There are no flood areas here in downtown Niagara Falls. My Husband and I live on the south side close to the falls in a nice little neighborhood. As for crime it is now dropping because of the extra funds the police have received. As far as cheep houses go yes it is better to buy than rent. My husband and I are sorry to say we have to sell are home,but we are getting older now and finding it too had to mow the lawn and shovel in the winter so we are trying to sell and go to the mid-west to live with the kids in an in law apt. they have for us. As for interest we are selling are 3 bedroom 1 bath for $21,900. but will go a little less to $19,000. for a quick sale. The taxe assessment is $29,000. the taxes are $800. a year. Moderator cut: we don't allow soliciting inside a post in the general forums. Please use classified ad fourm. Thanks!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-13-2007 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,275,023 times
Yea monique Rear wheel drive is fine ... actually it depends on how you look at it... have you driven in snow before? Rear wheel drive is easier to fishtail, but you can actually recover from it once you know how. Front wheel drive cars its hard for them to lose control but once they do theres not much you can do about it.

Id personally recommend snow tires for the winter...but it also depends - I live in the snow belt, you might not need them at all if you live in the north, and/or in the city and don't drive very far.

The only thing is thought with your 300C, is if this is southern or western car its real nice underneath you might want to keep in mind we heavily salt the roads here so you'll get rust eventually. If the car is like new... and I mena like where its not even rust underneath then you might want to by a <$1000 junk car to drive over the winter.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Mouse...I also asked about driving the 300 on my 300 forum. A member lived in Buffalo and said, "The salt will decimate my car. Get a winter junker for the winter." I'll be taking the winter junker route. It was an idiotic question anyway. People don't drive their beloved cars in the winter for that very reason, etc. I'm from Chgo. I should've known better.

Allysabhc...Why Niagara? The love of my life since 1990 is on the other side (Toronto) and now that I'm an empty-nester, I can follow my heart. He's followed me all these years unsuccessfully. It's my turn. I want to be near the border closest to Toronto. I would love to get info on other neighborhoods near Toronto border (pros/cons/less crime/lower taxes/no snow belt/no flooding/decent home under $80K) if you don't mind and can help. I have to move to that area regardless because I have to be near him. Appreciate your offer of assistance recommending other areas close to Toronto very much and accept your offer with gratitude. I will visit 8/17-21 and stay in Niagara Falls. Found a real estate agent in Niagara Falls. Will see if he is interested in taking me to look at houses in other areas. Allysabhc, it's been a bit challenging to find an agent to work with for my trip this coming weekend. Any suggestions for a real estate agent with a heart? Running out of planning a productive visit time. I've viewed lots of...beware of folks trying to unload property in these economically long past declining areas. I'm sorry for their pain in those areas. It's heartbreaking. But, I didn't do it and do not want to be victimized. Just want to be near my love. Blessings to you all for your generosity and giving of your time.

WILWRadio...Thank you for the important/critical info/Niagara Gazette link/reference to community and Discussions forums. You all are thoughtful and awesome!

Last edited by Mmonique; 08-13-2007 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM

I really hope to hear back from you guys tomorrow. Especially you Alyssa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area