Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone's okay. About 220,000 people are without power, many roads are officially closed making it illegal to drive on them. Some places it's as heavy as 30 inches. Most of the trees still had all their leaves on since we had not yet had frost.

(I know I'm in Canada, but we get some local Buffalo NY tv channels and they are only about an hour drive from us)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
I am in eastern NY and we just had wind and cold. I was shocked to hear of that snow!

Latest I heard was 3 dead and 300K without power..and boy tonight is nippy!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,422,875 times
I've never looked at snow storms as "natural disasters" before. But I can see how snow combined with foliage still on the trees can become a natural disaster for Upstate. Very strange year.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
It is pretty much limited to the Buffalo area; if you go an hour east of Buffalo there wasn't a flake on the ground. Pretty crazy. Buffalo has already had 1/4 of it's average annual snowfall.....in one night in October!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:13 PM

31 posts, read 302,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
It is pretty much limited to the Buffalo area; if you go an hour east of Buffalo there wasn't a flake on the ground. Pretty crazy. Buffalo has already had 1/4 of it's average annual snowfall.....in one night in October!

I'm afraid of what the winter will bring! If anyone can handle a situation like this its the Buffalonians. Everyone seems to be taking things pretty much in stride. That's one thing about Buffalo that I'll miss when I move, the only thing I won't miss is the snow.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
DAB

1 posts, read 4,697 times
Live in Hamburg NY, here. Got plastered with all of maybe a foot of wet heavy snow, brought down power lines and trees. Lakeshore/BigTree/Bayview area has power tonite (Sun 10/15). Heard a list of school closings, but from what I heard most of the schools from Frontier/Hamburg north are closed tomorrow including the city schools.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 44,465 times
Default in buffalo now...

I live in Buffalo and things are crazy. I have not had electricity (or heat) since Thursday night sometime. What is truly interesting is that my neighborhood had their electricity restored last night. Everyone on my block has electricity, everyone except me and my 2 neighbors. Apparently the lines into our house have been damaged (which I should have guessed from the tree hanging off of it). This will take longer to repair because we were told we need to get electricians in also.

I also work for the University of Buffalo. It usually will never close, but they are closed today because of a continuted driving ban in Amherst where North Campus is located. My actual office is not located on campus though and has power and electricity. So I am here at work, getting reconnected to the world and charging my cell phone. And I am actually doing some work.

I have to say that everyone has been great though. Everyone is helping everyone else with the trees and snow removal. People are checking in on each other. I've had several people offer to let me stay with them despite the fact that we are merely acquaintances. People who live in Buffalo really look out for each other.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay_chee View Post
I have to say that everyone has been great though. Everyone is helping everyone else with the trees and snow removal. People are checking in on each other. I've had several people offer to let me stay with them despite the fact that we are merely acquaintances. People who live in Buffalo really look out for each other.
That's really great. I hope you get power back soon.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 44,465 times
After 6 days without power and heat, it was finally on this morning. I am so happy. I was starting to feel like a 2 year old you hadn't taken her nap...very very cranky!

Last edited by ay_chee; 10-19-2006 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,381 times
Default snow/storm in Rochester??

Just wondering if Rochester got hammered too?

My mom is not too sure about us moving there, and she INSISTS that Rochester got the big storm too. I told her I didn't think so... her neighbor drives down once a week for business from Ontario... (To Buffalo, I might add) he said the whole I 90 was closed... that does pass almost right through Rochester...

I'm just interested... (and I kinda want to prove my mom wrong, LOL) if anyone lives there, please tell me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area