Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Yep! I don't want to go back 1870, and have 10 year olds working 40 hours a week in the coal mine, but I think that we have gone far beyond the useful amount of regulation and taxes... And it just keeps expanding.
I think we have found a cheap way to reduce adolescent crime....bad joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I think we have found a cheap way to reduce adolescent crime....bad joke
Not a bad one. It would also probably solve the Social Security problem before long too!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
No, not a joke. I'd like to see RWS become the Wrigley Field of the NFL...
Right, except Wrigley Field is in a city 10x bigger than Buffalo, and Chicago is actually attracting people to pay the taxes, Buffalo is driving people away with taxes. (3rd quickest shrinking city, if you watched News 4 this evening) But yeah, let's do more of the same, raise more tax dollars and throw them into the incinerator, as you have so graciously suggested.

Am I repeating myself. Doesn't everyone know this? Isn't this common sense?

Or as they say, common sense isn't always common.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
No, not a joke. I'd like to see RWS become the Wrigley Field of the NFL... right along with Lambeau Field...
No, you just didn't try to compare the Ralph with Wrigley Field!

Ok, they compare slightly. Both are sports venues, both are attended by lots of people who are not shy at the beer counter.

RWS will never be a Wrigley Field. Wrigley is an attraction all it's own. People go to see the stadium as much (or more) than the team/game played within it's confines because people just see it as the prototypical ballpark.

The Ralph is a decent facility to watch a football game, but it's never going to be a revered, classic stadium the way Wrigley (or Fenway) are for baseball.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
No, you just didn't try to compare the Ralph with Wrigley Field!

Ok, they compare slightly. Both are sports venues, both are attended by lots of people who are not shy at the beer counter.

RWS will never be a Wrigley Field. Wrigley is an attraction all it's own. People go to see the stadium as much (or more) than the team/game played within it's confines because people just see it as the prototypical ballpark.

The Ralph is a decent facility to watch a football game, but it's never going to be a revered, classic stadium the way Wrigley (or Fenway) are for baseball.
Nah, I didn't compare, there is no comparison. Just mentioned that I'd like to see it become a revered place like it. If we could just win a dadgum superbowl or two lol... its like a Wrigley field to me though... if I could be at any sports venue in the world it would be the Ralph.

You are right on the other part... I'm not a baseball fan whatsoever, But, I would like to go to one game at Wrigley Field... just to walk around in the old dinosaur and "feel" it, the sights, the smells, the ghosts, check out some food, etc.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I understand. I guess I just cannot relate, as I do not like much at all about the Ralph. Been to tons of games there and still go. However, I dislike the location, the traffic to get in and out of OP on gameday, the wind tunnel effect of the stadium and how cold it can make it to sit there, the insufficient number of bathrooms, or concourse space which makes it impossible to move at the half...

Good thing I enjoy watching the game itself!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I understand. I guess I just cannot relate, as I do not like much at all about the Ralph. Been to tons of games there and still go. However, I dislike the location, the traffic to get in and out of OP on gameday, the wind tunnel effect of the stadium and how cold it can make it to sit there, the insufficient number of bathrooms, or concourse space which makes it impossible to move at the half...
Well, traffic is terrible at many sports stadiums, but you would think that given the location, a few wider roads would could be easily implemented.

I don't really mind the location, although, I would think that putting it near UB, even North on Millersport closer to Lockport would have been an easily viable option.

I will agree about the cold though, I hate the cold, and even all bundled up I am almost always freezing there. I find the fans a little to rowdy, I wore a Longhorns cap (and a Bills jersey) to one game... big mistake, I had to get my friend to hide it in her purse... I didn't see the big deal.

Maybe one of you more experienced football fans can tell me (I am only a casual fan of NFL football).

Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Quote:
Well, traffic is terrible at many sports stadiums, but you would think that given the location, a few wider roads would could be easily implemented.

I don't really mind the location, although, I would think that putting it near UB, even North on Millersport closer to Lockport would have been an easily viable option.

I will agree about the cold though, I hate the cold, and even all bundled up I am almost always freezing there. I find the fans a little to rowdy, I wore a Longhorns cap (and a Bills jersey) to one game... big mistake, I had to get my friend to hide it in her purse... I didn't see the big deal.

Maybe one of you more experienced football fans can tell me (I am only a casual fan of NFL football).
Other than someone being drunk & stupid I'm not sure why anyone would hate on you for wearing a Longhorns hat to a Bills game. Wear your Longhorns gear in Oklahoma or Arkansas ...... then you'll know what real hatred is all about

I'm a Cowboys fan & have been to plenty of venues around the league to see them, the only place I ever felt seriously threatened was in Philly. I was at the Bills - Cowboys Monday night game a few years back & other than a few drunken idiots I thought the Bills fans were pretty decent, especially considering how they lost the game in heartbreaking fashion.

On the other hand, I don't believe I've ever seen more hatred toward opposing teams fans than what I've witnessed at HSBC Arena (Colorado might be pretty close though). Sabres fans have to be among the nastiest I've encountered in any pro sport though it still not as bad as going to a UT - Arkansas game in Fayettenam.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post

On the other hand, I don't believe I've ever seen more hatred toward opposing teams fans than what I've witnessed at HSBC Arena (Colorado might be pretty close though). Sabres fans have to be among the nastiest I've encountered in any pro sport though it still not as bad as going to a UT - Arkansas game in Fayettenam.
Have you ever been to Montreal? There's a reason why fans of the other teams don't wear their jerseys. I have seen beers thrown on people, people get hit, usually it's not that bad. I have seen alot rougher fans in Montreal than Buffalo, but you have to imagine that Montreal has only 1 sports team, it's 10x bigger than Buffalo, and the Habs have a far deeper history than the Sabres. Canadiens fans are pretty defensive about their team, I would say the only place that comes close is Toronto.

Quote:
Other than someone being drunk & stupid I'm not sure why anyone would hate on you for wearing a Longhorns hat to a Bills game. Wear your Longhorns gear in Oklahoma or Arkansas ...... then you'll know what real hatred is all about
Oh my goodness, I would never do that. I have heard stories about people getting beaten in bars, their cars vandalized, etc. I think it's worse in oklahoma. I've been to Tulsa a few times, and I don't think that the Longhorns are too welcome... But that is why it is might be the single biggest rivalry in college sports.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Montreal? There's a reason why fans of the other teams don't wear their jerseys. I have seen beers thrown on people, people get hit, usually it's not that bad. I have seen alot rougher fans in Montreal than Buffalo, but you have to imagine that Montreal has only 1 sports team, it's 10x bigger than Buffalo, and the Habs have a far deeper history than the Sabres. Canadiens fans are pretty defensive about their team, I would say the only place that comes close is Toronto.
I've been to games in Montreal. I found their fans to be more snobbish than anything. My team is in the Western Conference, had I been wearing a Leafs or Sens hat/shirt/jersey during the game I may have seen a different side of them I suppose.

Quote:
Oh my goodness, I would never do that. I have heard stories about people getting beaten in bars, their cars vandalized, etc. I think it's worse in oklahoma. I've been to Tulsa a few times, and I don't think that the Longhorns are too welcome... But that is why it is might be the single biggest rivalry in college sports.

Neither is a good place to be. Arkansas is scarier if only because it is more of an uncivilized place. You get the feeling that those crazy hillbillies would do just about anything to you without even thinking twice about it. At least in Oklahoma you'll usually find a few OSU fans/grads that will take your side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area