Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

More sun? Less snow? Nah..........

I'd say:

1.) A better business climate! A SMARTER business climate.
Ah hell, ANY business will do! But a real business, not a Bass Pro Shop. What good will that do? No one has the cash to buy anything from there anyway! How about putting people to work by having them clean up the city?

2.) Make welfare/workfare harder to receive. Which I believe will be a catalyst for change in the area.

3.) Recruit immigrants to perform cheap labor to clean up the city. Make the jailbirds work for their food like Sheriff Joe does here in Phoenix.

4.) Tear down the unsightly silos. Keep possibly two or three next to each other and make it into a state park. Then tear the rest of them down and build up the area with parks, housing, and resorts.

5.) My biggest issue-- Get rid of the slumlords!!!!!!!!!! I remember hearing years ago that even Comannder TOM had slum properties and was no keeping them up!
If they can't keep the properties they bought in livable condition, then hand the property over to the renters for a buck or two and let them keep it up. Perhaps, it will teach some people how to take care of their neighborhoods.
When you know better, you do better.

6.) Get rid of the "subway" on Main street. I know, it's unrealistic, but Buffalo fell beyond recovery after they tore up Main street. The city tore down buildings that were in perfect condition for parking lots. For example, The Buffalo Turners used to be on High Street. Now it's a parking lot for Buffalo General. It used to house a gym and social club with hundreds of members that brought people downtown all the time.

7.) Clean up the fruit belt and the east side/Shiller Park areas. In order to do this, we need MORE COPS. I'd love to bring in someone like Guiliani to clean up our city.

The heart and soul of Buffalo is still there. I really miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM

16 posts, read 73,408 times
If only all the desolate old buildings with no one in them could blow away overnight; then we could notice the beauty of the remaining buildings, and build other buildings that share their beauty.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Lower taxes! and someone who always doesn't put the place down.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
It's unrealistic, and should've been done from the start, but: relocate UB to the city.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
A photo thread!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Default ok...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
A photo thread!
I'd love to see a realistic 10 year plan.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 PM

114 posts, read 868,106 times
Default More jobs

I think it needs more jobs in the science and technology field and a medical school at UB. Attract more industries here and the jobs will follow. Get a better university system and more jobs will follow.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 AM

148 posts, read 647,938 times
Someone to push the handle down and flush the toilet. Buffalo is destroyed for generations to come.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

75 posts, read 340,633 times
Buffalo needs to rid itself of all the naysayers *cough* itsmellsbad *cough*

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
I think it needs more jobs in the science and technology field and a medical school at UB. Attract more industries here and the jobs will follow. Get a better university system and more jobs will follow.
That's a sensable idea because UB is one of the largest employers in Buffalo. Phoenix has been trying to do that also. Pittsburgh has been very successful with that. New blood is always good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area