Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,613 times

Advertisements

less taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 647,938 times
LOWER TAXES. Make Buffalo a Tax Free Zone and get out of the way as business resources rush to the area. Hey, we can dream can't we?

Thruway Tolls have gone up 10% this year already. Projected to go up another 10% soon. Grand Island Bridge tolls are up 100% in 2 years. This should help bring lots of business into the area! Indeedy Spitzer is a train wreck.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
I read this in the Buffalo News and thought it was one of the best ideas I've heard regarding Buffalo (creating a big dig like done in Boston).
The Buffalo News: Everybody's Column: Buffalo should explore a ‘Big Dig’ solution (broken link)

Buffalo has such a bad image, which is frustrating. Image unfortunately matters. I think it's the array of crumbling old abandoned factories throughout the area that contribute maybe most to this image (weather does also but I think it's exaggerated). As I understand, many corporations leave these abandoned sites with a small number of workers simply to avoid having to clean up these sites and make them available for other industry. How long can this continue?

I remember seeing a book that documented Buffalo in the early 1900s and the pictures show an incredible looking city, the first city of electricity. I think since those days, both Buffalo and the Falls have been victims to major corruption for both to decay to their current state. Just recently an article in the paper suggested that electricity generated from the Falls be used for local industry and residents. That incredible idea took 100 years. Maybe in another 100 years, the waterfront will be discovered.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I read this in the Buffalo News and thought it was one of the best ideas I've heard regarding Buffalo (creating a big dig like done in Boston).
The Buffalo News: Everybody's Column: Buffalo should explore a ‘Big Dig’ solution (broken link)

Buffalo has such a bad image, which is frustrating. Image unfortunately matters. I think it's the array of crumbling old abandoned factories throughout the area that contribute maybe most to this image (weather does also but I think it's exaggerated). As I understand, many corporations leave these abandoned sites with a small number of workers simply to avoid having to clean up these sites and make them available for other industry. How long can this continue?

I remember seeing a book that documented Buffalo in the early 1900s and the pictures show an incredible looking city, the first city of electricity. I think since those days, both Buffalo and the Falls have been victims to major corruption for both to decay to their current state. Just recently an article in the paper suggested that electricity generated from the Falls be used for local industry and residents. That incredible idea took 100 years. Maybe in another 100 years, the waterfront will be discovered.
That has been my main complaint. Whoever is deciding to KEEP the eyesores around should be shot. (Ok, hit.) But seriously, if the companies are allowed to have a skeleton crew just to keep from having to pay to get rid of their eyesore, then there should be a law enacted that states that the company is responsible for cleaning up the mess it left behind.
AND the waterfront - well, we all know how I feel about that......Buffalo is a city of natural resources, beauty, and four seasons, and it is not taking advantage of it.
CREATE a new industry, CREATE jobs. CREATE a destination, CREATE a future. Don't just sit around and whine about it (the people in office) and don't keep your brother or sister in office if she's/he's not the best person for the job.
Someone has to take the first step.
I hate to compare apples to oranges, but where I live now (for the next 5 months) is in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is by far the best run city I have ever lived in. The residents vote on partically everything and anything "new" like a new tax, etc., is voted on.
9 out of 10 times the vote is passed.
Scottsdale, get rid of it's eyesores ASAP. Then, they build in it's place instead of building elsewhere. They have created jobs in building and upkeep here. It's amazing how this city has kept up, Buffalo and it's politicians could learn a great deal from a city like Scottsdale. A long term future plan needs to be hammered out and then followed. Pick a fricking direction for the city to go in and go there! Hell, our "leaders" in Buffalo, can't even agree on a color for the Peace Bridge, and we all know how THAT turned out!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
I think it needs more jobs in the science and technology field and a medical school at UB. Attract more industries here and the jobs will follow. Get a better university system and more jobs will follow.
Where are you from?

FYI: SUNY Buffalo has not only a Med school, but also Dental, Pharmacy, Architecture, Engineering and other areas... You also might have missed the fact they have a few tech incubators and are moving parts of the Med school down to the medical corridor.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
go for canadian annexation - instant currency improvement!!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
Buffalo needs to rid itself of all the naysayers *cough* itsmellsbad *cough*
Thanks to General Mills factory, Buffalo just may be the best-smelling city in America.

But I realize itsmellsbad must be a member.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,899 times
buffalo needs a new skyscraper, i was looking for the skyline when i lived there, and all i saw was this big stick thing, pretty boring if you ask me.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM

45 posts, read 160,968 times
The Answer for Buffalo is metro government. Without that there is no hope.

- From an ex-Buffalonian who has suffered like all the rest.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM

114 posts, read 868,106 times
" Quote: FYI: SUNY Buffalo has not only a Med school, but also Dental, Pharmacy, Architecture, Engineering and other areas... You also might have missed the fact they have a few tech incubators and are moving parts of the Med school down to the medical corridor."

Yes, Buffalo has these departments. But they are not strong. No one has heard of them and students do not come from parts of the country to enroll in them. Centers like Cleveland Medical Clinic, Rush, Mayo Clinic etc etc..are all from small cities..but very accomplished. They have brought the city up by being big successful departments. Doing high quality research and attracting students from all over. I meant Buffalo needs a stronger UB..more investment is required in these departments to increase its ranking and competitiveness. Unfortunately SUNY UB is non-existent compared to other universities even when competing with neighboring states..competing with the rest of the country is out of the question for UB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area