Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 233,576 times

Advertisements

Hi, Canisius College was on my list of colleges I might attend. I was wondering if this is a good college from the locals' point of view. Anything good about it or anything bad about it? Is Buffalo really a bad place to live as so many people in this subforum have pointed out? Crime is pretty bad in my city and I don't want to end up somewhere worse. There isn't a real particular reason to go to this college but for international business. So what do you guys think of this college. Please give me good avice. College decisions follow me the rest of my life!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM

112 posts, read 436,780 times
You should check out this thread about Canisius:

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...s-college.html

IMO, Canisius is a very regional school. Not a lot of people outside of Western New York are familiar with it or have heard of it. So I would factor that in with what your plans are after college and how far your degree will take you. If you want to go to grad school, you should be fine if you do well at Canisius. Since it is a small private (Jesuit) school, there are a lot of opportunities to do well and exceed if you work hard. However, if you are going straight to work, employers may not have heard of Canisius before if you are job hunting outside of the region.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
I disagree with sent. Canisius is a very good school. I would not call it regional -- it is known. It also is pricey. However,many Canadians come over and go there ( I find that amazing, but I had student teachers who came from Canada and were from Canisius). It has a fairly wide range of areas of studies. If you are looknig for a medium size college that is Catholic, look at it. They have hefty endowments ( I know people whose kids went there and got much tuition paid by in-school grants) and just bought additional land a large campus from a private Catholic grade school on which to build -- both classes and dorms.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,699 times
Don't mean to tangent, but I have 2 kids and one kid-in-law who went to UB and lovedddd it.....their careers are a NP, a hedge-fund accountant and an atty. so I have to say their educations served them well! Plus it's a SUNY so tuition is cheaper....We have one more kid at home and the older sibs are all pushing for him to head to Buffalo....can't get a better recommend than that IMO

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 02-21-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
Canisus used to be an old boys school in Buffalo, meaning if you wanted a good job in accounting or business and wanted to stay in Buffalo, then thats where you should go to school. The alumni was very loyal to the graduates, now I dont know if that has changed as I have been out of college a 'few" year lol

Old 02-22-2008, 07:57 PM

112 posts, read 436,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I disagree with sent. Canisius is a very good school. I would not call it regional -- it is known. It also is pricey. However,many Canadians come over and go there ( I find that amazing, but I had student teachers who came from Canada and were from Canisius). It has a fairly wide range of areas of studies. If you are looknig for a medium size college that is Catholic, look at it. They have hefty endowments ( I know people whose kids went there and got much tuition paid by in-school grants) and just bought additional land a large campus from a private Catholic grade school on which to build -- both classes and dorms.
Even within NY state, when I was working in NYC very few had heard of Canisius unless they knew someone who went there or followed basketball in the MAAC conference. I live in the south now and it would be a joke to talk about where I went to school; small Jesuit schools in cold northern cities are absolutely unknown here in SEC country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area