Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 07:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times

Advertisements

Local news usually reports town by town snowfall

Or try the local national weather service buffalo office
I think it's Buffalo, NY they have a good page that tracks and writes follow up reports for lake effect snow.

Where did you visit? What did you think?

Don't worry about it. Its honestly not a big deal. Just go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Local news usually reports town by town snowfall

Or try the local national weather service buffalo office
I think it's Buffalo, NY they have a good page that tracks and writes follow up reports for lake effect snow.

Where did you visit? What did you think?

Don't worry about it. Its honestly not a big deal. Just go for it.
I was mostly around Amherst/Lancaster but checked out Hamburg, OP and West Seneca.

The difference in snow between north and south might be a big deal bc I'm an essential employee so I have to go to work no matter what. That's why I'm going to gauge it this year and see what happens.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:06 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I was mostly around Amherst/Lancaster but checked out Hamburg, OP and West Seneca.

The difference in snow between north and south might be a big deal bc I'm an essential employee so I have to go to work no matter what. That's why I'm going to gauge it this year and see what happens.

I also am considered an essential employee and live in the South towns and commute to the northtowns. I'm not allowed to call off because of the weather and have to get to work if I'm scheduled. In 7 years I've only had 1 time it was physically impossible, but everyone understood it was basically an act of God (7ft of snow in 36 hours). It was physically impossible to drive. The giant plows got stuck and they needed front loaders to clear the roads. Something like that might only happen once a generation.

I would just move where you like and not worry much about the weather. The 5 times a year that it snows more in the South towns enough to be a mild burden just wake up an hour sooner, snow blow your drive way and leave for work early. Its not a big deal.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I also am considered an essential employee and live in the South towns and commute to the northtowns. I'm not allowed to call off because of the weather and have to get to work if I'm scheduled. In 7 years I've only had 1 time it was physically impossible, but everyone understood it was basically an act of God (7ft of snow in 36 hours). It was physically impossible to drive. The giant plows got stuck and they needed front loaders to clear the roads. Something like that might only happen once a generation.

I would just move where you like and not worry much about the weather. The 5 times a year that it snows more in the South towns enough to be a mild burden just wake up an hour sooner, snow blow your drive way and leave for work early. Its not a big deal.
You're probably right. I'm doing the same job in the Hudson valley and I get the impression that when a storm is predicted they try to get the situation planned beforehand.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Can anyone tell me about Derby? I fell in love with this property but I can't find much information on the town.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...325869#photo25

Old 11-04-2017, 09:59 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me about Derby? I fell in love with this property but I can't find much information on the town.

Evans is the town where the property is located, which is in the Southtowns area of the metro. It is also on Lake Erie. Derby is a hamlet in the NW portion of the town.

Hopefully others will post more specific information.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Evans is the town where the property is located, which is in the Southtowns area of the metro. It is also on Lake Erie. Derby is a hamlet in the NW portion of the town.

Hopefully others will post more specific information.
Thanks. I was wondering where it lined up in this discussion of the makeup of the towns.

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...outhtowns.html

Looks like middle class by the home prices but I'm not sure bc everything up there is cheap compared to Orange County

Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was wondering where it lined up in this discussion of the makeup of the towns.

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...outhtowns.html

Looks like middle class by the home prices but I'm not sure bc everything up there is cheap compared to Orange County
You also have to consider the lower cost of living further Upstate as well.

Given this relatively recent census tract information for that area, it appears to be middle class: Census Tract 015401 in Erie County, New York

Census Tract 015402 in Erie County, New York

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:

Its really far from everything plus being close to the lake you will get lots of snow.

Look at this map:

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...tario-20141115

Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Its really far from everything plus being close to the lake you will get lots of snow.

Look at this map:

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...tario-20141115
Most of the pictures are from Lancaster. Isn't that a north town?

How far is really far? Looks like Hamburg is 7 miles. I drive 7 miles to get to the center of town from my house now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area