Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:57 PM

605 posts, read 490,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
What isn't mentioned in the original post is that this article is in regards to a store in Owego, NY I'm familiar with Owego from years of traveling south to Myrtle Beach and The Outer Banks, it's a small village on the NY/PA state line between Binghamton and Elmira (3-4 hours from Buffalo).
I lied; this is worth a fourth post from me. Stopped at that Owego Tops the one time I drove past it (the one time in my life that I drove to NYC). Bought some Saranac White IPA and told myself not to touch it until touching down in northern New Jersey (which was the destination for the night). I recall the Owego Tops being smaller than a built-in-the-'90s 17-aisle supersized Tops, but larger than the small Tops that used to exist but are mostly closed now...except perhaps in small towns. Not sure what the seemingly mid-sized nature of that store might say for its potential longevity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

In Buffalo there are, I believe 9 or 10 Wegmans and about 30 Tops, but their market share is almost equal.

In Buffalo, the loss of Tops would be felt most significantly in the city itself, where this is but one Wegmans location and probably close to 10 Tops locations (I'd guess 8 or 9)

Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Amusing to me that multiple people in this thread spelled Tops like the baseball card company.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, Buffalo is not the 3rd poorest city in the country and there are other factors to consider in terms of city population, as well as other stats. You have to consider the criteria used, like they only use say cities with at least 65,000 or 250,000 people, while leaving out a large amount of municipalities or may not consider the urban or suburban makeup of a place. So, such comparisons aren’t necessarily tit for tat and may leave a lot of places out.

I’m not saying this to downplay poverty in the area or nationwide, but I’m saying that such information needs to be put into proper perspective.
Fine, make it the 4th-poorest; let Rochester claim the glory as the 3rd-poorest:

Buffalo is fourth poorest city in the nation | wivb.com

Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
I say go for number one! Let’s get the top prize for something. Let’s get on cnn please for that story besides blizzards

Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Fine, make it the 4th-poorest; let Rochester claim the glory as the 3rd-poorest:

Buffalo is fourth poorest city in the nation | wivb.com
Still incorrect, as it again limits the number of cities based upon population criteria. Let alone the differences between cities that were mentioned before. So, that is still not completely correct, Matt. I mean mrcnkwcz.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
/\

All the article said was "U.S. Census Bureau show over 58,000 families live in Buffalo. Of those, more than 15,000 are living in poverty – that mean 26.4 percent of families in Buffalo live in poverty."

Pretty straight forward take a population within the city limits, identify those who are classified living in poverty and divide to get a percentage. Its a shame that it is so high...

Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

All the article said was "U.S. Census Bureau show over 58,000 families live in Buffalo. Of those, more than 15,000 are living in poverty – that mean 26.4 percent of families in Buffalo live in poverty."

Pretty straight forward take a population within the city limits, identify those who are classified living in poverty and divide to get a percentage. Its a shame that it is so high...
I’m referring to the ranking, not the figure. That is in reference to only the top 50 metro area cities, if I’m not mistaken. Sometimes bigger suburban cities are included in said comparisons and there are many smaller places with higher poverty rates than Buffalo.

It would also be interesting to look at family size.

Many cities have higher poverty rates, but one of my other points is that some cities can “drown” their poverty by annexing what would essentially be 1st, 2nd and 3rd ring suburbs in the Buffalo area. For instance, here is a list from 1960 and pay attention to the land area by square miles: https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab19.txt

Now look at the square miles for this list from 1990: https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab22.txt

Also, if one takes a look at the land area for today, it will look different from 1990.

I’m not saying this to get personal towards anyone, but I’m just saying this to show how this is a factor in terms of differences in this regard or even other aspects when comparing cities.

This doesn’t get into things like college presence(off campus students are a part of the stats for income/poverty) and refugee resettlement, which can also have an impact along with the stereotypical(for lack of a better word) poverty.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-20-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
Spin it however you want. Just a matter of time til Buffalo itself declares bankruptcy.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Spin it however you want. Just a matter of time til Buffalo itself declares bankruptcy.
Maybe, maybe not. However, what I said isn’t false. You literally have cities that are roughly similar to Buffalo in metro population and have annexed more land since 1990 than the land area of the city of Buffalo. So, we do need to put all of this into proper perspective too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area