Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:45 AM

93,260 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Sorry but when people talk of east cost cities none of what you referenced ever comes into the discussion. It was meant to reference the coastal cities of the east coast and how most had developed over a similar pattern based on the geography of their location by the turn of the 20th century. As I responded to JWRocks Rochester is opposite because the river through its center runs north instead of south.
I knew what you were saying. I was just saying that those cities were different in terms of the North/West & East/South dynamic, as their more affluent areas are to the east or are a mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't understand how the river flow has anything to do with it. The river is in the center of the city. The canal may have more to do with that than the river. No, commuting probably wasn't a concern back then, but it has been true for decades. I 490 was built way back when they built the thruway
Prior to the canal where would incoming ships arrived, on the lake to the north which would have been the main transport site. The city developed through water power running mills on the river, where is the flow and the falls, the north side. As I responded on the other post this isn't an absolute but for the east coast cities most seem to originally develop with their east/south sides as the commercial, less desirable sides to live.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I knew what you were saying. I was just saying that those cities were different in terms of the North/West & East/South dynamic, as their more affluent areas are to the east or are a mix.
No what your doing is what you always do saturate a respondents post with a bunch of what if/maybe/look at these examples.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
No what your doing is what you always do saturate a respondents post with a bunch of what if/maybe/look at these examples.
No I'm not. I'm just telling you that Syracuse and Rochester have different affluent resident and industrial patterns than the East Coast cities that you are referring to. Both have their affluent communities/neighborhoods to the East.

I just mentioned Binghamton because it has both to the west of the city/metro area.

I know there is a theory in terms of how the wind blows into the less affluent communities, but that wouldn't work for those 2 bigger Upstate cities/areas. Arguably the 2 most affluent school districts in Upstate NY are Pittsford to the SE of Rochester and Fayetteville-Manlius, a second ring eastern suburban SD of Syracuse.

Anyway, to bring it back to the original topic, it looks like Grand Island would be 4th on the list at $80,569 and Wheatfield would be 5th at $79,549 on that list.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-17-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-17-2020, 03:13 PM

5,689 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
But when you look at Rochester and the North Flowing River that runs through it that created the commercial/industrial areas more to the north/west side almost an opposite of the East Coast where most rivers flow South/East. I don't think commuting was a concern when most of these cities were laid out..

Yes, while Rochester's west side is very industrial, I think you are forgetting about Webster, home of the largest Xerox plant, and many others, as well as a lot of commercial/ industrial next door in Wayne county. There's also East Rochester, still very industrial/ commercial.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No I'm not. I'm just telling you that Syracuse and Rochester have different affluent resident and industrial patterns than the East Coast cities that you are referring to. Both have their affluent communities/neighborhoods to the East.

I just mentioned Binghamton because it has both to the west of the city/metro area.

I know there is a theory in terms of how the wind blows into the less affluent communities, but that wouldn't work for those 2 bigger Upstate cities/areas. Arguably the 2 most affluent school districts in Upstate NY are Pittsford to the SE of Rochester and Fayetteville-Manlius, a second ring eastern suburban SD of Syracuse.

Anyway, to bring it back to the original topic, it looks like Grand Island would be 4th on the list at $80,569 and Wheatfield would be 5th at $79,549 on that list.

You just posted on another thread that F-M was #6 and Pittsford and Brighton were 1&2?

Old 04-17-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, while Rochester's west side is very industrial, I think you are forgetting about Webster, home of the largest Xerox plant, and many others, as well as a lot of commercial/ industrial next door in Wayne county. There's also East Rochester, still very industrial/ commercial.
But again you talking modern times and as I posted this was the observation at the turn of the 20th Century and on East Coast cities. The observation was on "a city" not a county, not an MSA, not a CSA just a city and her limits.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
But again you talking modern times and as I posted this was the observation at the turn of the 20th Century and on East Coast cities. The observation was on "a city" not a county, not an MSA, not a CSA just a city and her limits.

Whatever, but this thread is about Clarence, in the year 2020 and the fact that it is the most affluent town in metro Buffalo

Old 04-18-2020, 08:19 PM

574 posts, read 382,574 times
As much as I love living in Clarence (close to retail yet near the “country.” This isn’t exclusive to Clarence as talked about by others in thread), I’m starting to get tired of the development. While I appreciate that people are enjoying it here, I feel as If it has gotten a bit too big. I’ll probably have moved by this time, but I’m suspecting that Akron/Newstead will start to get more development within the next 10-20 years

Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You just posted on another thread that F-M was #6 and Pittsford and Brighton were 1&2?
That is in terms of “Brain Power”, not household income. Even if it was the latter, really? I believe that if F-M isn’t 2nd in MHHI in Upstate NY in relation to the area Buffalo Business First covers, it may be past by only Bethlehem and Niskayuna in the Albany area. So, it is within the top 5, if not 2nd.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-18-2020 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area