Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 PM

129 posts, read 250,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
great pics !
I like these sites too :
http://www.pbase.com/kjosker/buffalo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/calanan/sets/72057594048931046 (broken link)
Go here to see more www.urbandecay.ca

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Buffalo/Buffalo/Urban%20Decay/buffalo21.jpg (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Buffalo/Buffalo/Urban%20Decay/buffalo38.JPG (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Buffalo/Buffalo/Urban%20Decay/buffalo44.JPG (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Buffalo/Buffalo/Urban%20Decay/buffalo53.JPG (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 20,526 times
hi Stephane,
you sure can come to brooklyn, its very safe, walk with pice, and set your phone speed dial "1" for 911 then get a map of the community and preset your path also try to move 4 miles and hour or faster and to enjoy the sites just don't look anyone in the eyes..... <smile> just playing with you.... your fear of different community is in the right path but use a lot of common sense, and since your not from area let someone know where you are going and do have a phone....

Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
Hello,
I'm French and I'll like to come in Buffalo to take photographs of houses, architechture, winter atmosphere. which are the neighborhoods most interesting for photography? which are the neighborhoods where I don't have to go? Can I walk the night in the city with a camera and a tripod? safe or dangerous ?
thank you for your answers. Stéphane.
Hi Stephane,

Everybody had good suggestions for you, especially Dr Funky (GREAT PICTURES), Ha Ha. There is alot of nice (old) areas to photo. Besides Elmwood Av. & Delaware Lake & Park. Downtown Buffalo, along the waterfront where they are building up and reconstructing the the Old Erie Canal Terminus (where it Originally ended) and all the area around it where they are trying to revive the old Bldgs and building new ones to reflect the Old Days. Due to the Lack Of Vision by our local gov't, it is taking longer than other cities. We do have faith here though that someday it will all come together. We do still have alot of the Old Grain Elevators still in use (They were the First in the Country) Buffalo has alot of History being the Bigggest Seaport in the area back in the Old Days. There is also alot of Old Victorian Neighborhoods still around too. Hope this was a little help.

Bob

Old 01-26-2007, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 72,598 times
as a native buffalonian, dont worry about broadway fillmore area. white people live there too. Just do what you want. take your pictures and dont look like you are looking for drugs. really u will be ok.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
Good way to sell your city, Dr Funky. I read it as a great opportunity. Get in cheap and turn the place around.

There's much more to the area that these pictures portray folks.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 PM

306 posts, read 1,619,991 times
Dr Funky,

(Now, you don't get to write THAT everyday!)

Just out of curiosity: Where were these locations? I have a sick fascination with such decay, and am curious if I know/remember these places from my years in Buffalo, too. That big factory looks particularly familiar....

Also, you gotta admit, you're giving a very one-sided, partial view of Buffalo here. It's got of stately areas, livable areas, thriving areas, not-so-run-down areas, etc., yes? Why not a balance, then?

BTW, do you know the Ruins of Detroit & Buildings of Detroit websites? Really great, really SAD stuff....

Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 30,151 times
Thank you for all your messages! I hope to come soon in Buffalo. If you want to see my pictures :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephanechambrier/ (broken link)
again, thank you for your answers, Stéphane.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,548 times
ok n yer not showing the good points of buffalo jsut the ghettos

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Looks like the fruit belt. I see it hasn't changed......

Every city has these areas, even the southwest. Jeez

Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Stephane -
Locations in your photos and similarities: Your water photos could be anywhere along the Niagara River or the Lake. You would like the Inner Harbor as well. Your night photos could be the area around Chippewa or even places on Hertel. Hertel and the Elmwood strip are full of shops. As to architecture, this city had a "golden age" around 1900, when we had a large number of millionaires living here. We also have 5 Frank Lloyd Wright houses, the most in any eastern city. Buildings in downtown which are interesting are the Old Post Office (now Erie Community College), the Ellicott Square building ( great tiled floor and an iron balcony on the 2nd floor all around inside), The4 Prudential/Guaranty Building ( an early "skyscraper" - late 1800s - an early steel frame building), lots of churches worthy of note. The Market Arcade -- originally an indoor "mall" of 3 levels of shops. Our Albright Knox Art Gallery has an old part and a new and the collection is moving to all new -- lots of major antique sculptures and artwork were auctioned to buy new modern. Our park system (Frederick Law Olmstead, who did Central Park in NYC as well) is fabulous.

Broadway Fillmore would have only a few things of note: the Broadway Market (an inside market, all different food stands) and churches. If you want to go photograph on the street, you will need to take care you miss any drug dealers.... while it used to be an old Polish/German neighborhood and very lovely, it can be dangerous to wander about.

Come to Buffalo and look for the snow, but look for the good in the city -- not decay. The architecture here is lovely if you know where to look. [Interesting point: the first non- native American settlement here was French (a trading post). The first Roman Catholic church here was also built by the French: St. Louis. It was rebuilt and is one of the most beautiful churches in the city.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area