Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 71,978 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Buffalo. I have lived in Portland, ME which is still a relatively small town when compared to Buffalo. Currently, we live in a small town of 3,000 people. It is quiet and beautiful here with many trees and mountains. I have a few concerns about this possibly move and thought all of you experts could help. Are there residential areas not too far from Buffalo that are set in a quiet somewhat country setting? Is the city safe? I have a toddler and another child on the way. Are there areas to x-country ski? Are there many lake beaches to go swimming in the summer? As you can tell from my questions, I've never been to Buffalo, unlike my husband who has, and the only thing I know about Buffalo are the Sabres, Bills and Wings. Any info that you can give on the pros and cons of Buffalo would help this young family.

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,067 times
Two of my best friends live by Portland !!! How funny.

Well, as far as skiing - many many many areas to ski yes to that cross country and downhill

As far as beaches and lakes another BIG thumbs up. Not only locally but we are 20 minutes from Canada which has many beaches to swim as well.

Is the city safe? Is any city safe? There is the good the bad and the ugly in every city. As long as you know where you are going you will be fine. Many posters on this forum live in the city and will tell you of the many benefits.

There are a lot of option as Buffalo is not just Buffalo, but Western New York, so yes you can get some land if you like with your home and still be within reasonable driving distance into the city.

Hmmm, I could name a lot of areas - Alden, Wheatfield, Clarence, Akron to name a few.

Once you've narrowed it down, you can then begin looking as you don't want to overburden yourself running around from one home to another 70 miles apart.

Why not come for a weekend visit? See what it's all about.

How is the market for selling your home in Portland? I was talking to my friend about property he had up for sale for some time, thankfully it just sold this past week.

You will find this forum a wealth of knowledge, ask any question you like and I am sure many will be happy to help.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM

31 posts, read 71,978 times
Great. Thank you for your response. It's hard to visit right now because I am about to give birth and do not want to be too far away from the hospital. I have a feeling it will be a very, very, very long time before we are able to sell our house. This is the biggest concern that we have. Congratulations to your friend for selling!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM

94 posts, read 460,542 times
My best advise would be to check out the other posts...there are several others asking the same questions, and they have received excellent advise. Good luck, and congrats on the baby!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,495 times
Welcome!

I don't know where to start, but as Dragonchaser said, checking out the other threads in the Buffalo area forum similar to what you are asking would probably help you and we posters can take a little rest replying on similar advice - you'll find lots of info on here as CAugust said!

Buffalo (and WNY) is a great place to live. Full of something for everyone, we are truly a friendly community with a big city and small town values. You will be blessed on your move, for I feel it is a fine choice for what you are looking for!

See this video for some advice! HTH!

YouTube - The Buffalo Niagara Region - Balance

And another one if you'd like!

YouTube - Tribute to the City of Buffalo, NY

Again, Welcome to one of America's best kept secrets - our region of Western New York. Buffalo is the Queen City!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM

60 posts, read 177,211 times
As soon as I read your original post, I thought of East Aurora. Sounds like the perfect town for you and is about 25-30 minutes from the city, but very quite and set in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area