Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM

113 posts, read 145,149 times

Advertisements

I have been considering Elmwood Village, Allentown, Kenmore, Amherst, etc., but my in-laws are pressuring me to check out Lewiston (they live in Canada). My job going to be in Amherst, just off the Audubon Pkwy near the university.

What are your thoughts of the place? I've read its a historic town, but it looks very suburban and far from the action and nightlife of Buffalo.

I guess the other thing to consider as well is commute. I've googled it and its 35 minutes from where I'd work to Lewiston. Could this be a nasty commute?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I believe it has some things in terms of the arts and is close to Niagara Falls. So, you can check out the nightlife there too. You also have nearby Youngstown right there as well.

Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce

Artpark: Western New York's Premier Destination for Music, Theatre, Family Fun

Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,494,127 times
If nightlife is a concern, I'd advise against Lewiston. I have a young cousin who moved into Lewiston last year and she's bored to death. I think you had the right idea by looking in Allentown and Elmwood Village, or Amherst if you really value a short commute. Commute seems unnecessarily long from Lewiston, as you'd be only twenty minutes at the most from Allentown or EV to the Audobon Parkway. If you decide to live in Buffalo, you'll still be able to visit your in-laws by crossing the Peace Bridge or driving up to the Lewiston Bridge.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM

I think your right. I just need to convince the fiance that it is the right course of action.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Kenmore would also be a good choice as well. North Buffalo would work as well.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Kenmore would also be a good choice as well. North Buffalo would work as well.
ckhthankgod. Thanks for your comments. Are you from Buffalo? I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and Buffalo reminds me of Cleveland.
To folks in the area, is it really necessary to have a 4 wheel drive suv. I hear Buffalo keeps there roads pretty clean in the winter.
My fiance is absolutely convinced that we have to go out and buy a Trailblazer this year for the winter months, when we make the move. She's from St. Catharines, Ontario and I keep telling her its no big deal if we wait a while to buy another vehicle.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
ckhthankgod. Thanks for your comments. Are you from Buffalo? I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and Buffalo reminds me of Cleveland.
To folks in the area, is it really necessary to have a 4 wheel drive suv. I hear Buffalo keeps there roads pretty clean in the winter.
My fiance is absolutely convinced that we have to go out and buy a Trailblazer this year for the winter months, when we make the move. She's from St. Catharines, Ontario and I keep telling her its no big deal if we wait a while to buy another vehicle.
No, but I've been there many times and I'm familiar with the area.

Tell her to stop worrying, as roads in Upstate NY tend to be taken care of in a timely manner, because we are used to it and have the proper equipment.

this information should help as well: //www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...falo-need.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...anna-area.html

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times
If your fiance is from St Catherins, then Lewiston is definitely the place to go. It's only 15 minutes from St Catherines (if the bridge is good), it receives much less snow than Buffalo does (about half to 2/3rds of what Buffalo receives according to the NWS). Lewiston has almost no crime, especially compared to Buffalo. There are many great free Summer concerts at Artpark that you could walk to. Plus many for pay concerts and events at Artpark. Many restaurants and shops plus it's got great geography - it's not flat!

Also it's only an hours drive from Toronto and a half hour from Downtown Buffalo. Lewisotn is far, far more upscale than the poverty stricken Allentown or the Elmwood Village. Elmwood is not nearly as poor as Allentown but they are the type of community that Price Rite sets up shop in. You won't see an Aldi or Save A Lot in the Village of Lewiston.

For a Canadian, Lewiston is as close to the Canadian feeling of a clean, safe, prosperous community feeling as you will find in WNY.

Last edited by donbuy; 03-08-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,493 times
I agree with the above post. The commute would be worth it and in fact wouldn't be much longer than trying to get to UB from Allentown/Elmwood. Lewiston is a nice area and it's not that far out.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Actually if the commute is to UB Amherst you would head east from Lewiston then south to UB Amherst - almost all country driving no traffic hassles at all. You would never go over Grand Island to get to Amherst from Lewiston. That would easily add 20 minutes to the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area