Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM

230 posts, read 536,008 times

Advertisements

I can definitely attest to Vermonters being some of the friendliest, nicest, and most helpful folks I've met anywhere. They're basically on par with Newfoundlanders, which is a HUGE compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 PM

76 posts, read 200,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I don't know Burlington well...

Could you live on $750 rent with say, a 20 or 30 minute commute? Where does that put you if you were working in Burlington? What is a reasonable commute and of course do you look at that time in winter or summer... I don't know. Could you give up the car to save money to live in Burlington. Not sure if that is realistic if you have to travel far for work and other essentials.

I lived in Burlington, never had a car, walked everywhere, and never payed anything close to 750 a month for living. Given I always had roommates, and it was a blast. Would I ever do what you are describing above? I never even had to think about it. I loved the pedestrian lifestyle and always had and WILL always have someone to split costs with me (either friends or a boyfriend). That is all apart of the package for me that was living in Vermont (all of my best friends live there, and my boyfriend wants to move there). When I move back to VT I most likely wont be in downtown BTV but I will absolutely have a car, and will NOT be paying 750 for living. Would I pay that amount for a 30 min commute? eh, depends on the job or if I am enrolled in a good school.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM

190 posts, read 652,665 times
My rent is $710 for a really nice one-bedroom. It is fairly large for Burlington, very well-maintained, and a seven minute walk to Church Street. I always budget another 100 dollars for electric, internet, and heat in the winter.

I am not making a lot of money but I have enough to survive on. I definitely have to watch how much I am spending on going out and fun times, but I have always been a good saver. If you budget you can make a meager salary work in Burlington.

You can definitely live in Burlington without a car as long as you don't need one for work, but I really enjoy having my car and being able to take trips on the weekends. I also find the only grocery store walkable, City Market, to be nice but outrageously expensive.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I think people complain for several reasons. They complain because they care about where they live. Vermont is one of those places where people are deep rooted in political, social and many other beliefs. When we don't like something or the way something is working, we talk about it or voice an opinion. I feel another reason is tied into cost of living. Vermont's escalation in cost of living was rapid and noticeable. It didn't happen over several decades. When I moved to the state about twenty years ago, Vermont was one of the most affordable states to move. Incomes were low but so were all other costs, especially housing. Act 68, 60 and 250 have all had an impact on costs. This is not to start a debate on these Acts. They all were set in place with good intention, but they had and are having impacts on cost for people.
What's that they say about the path to hell?

I agree with what you've written.

The increases in the school portion of taxes eventually will start snowballing much like it has in NY. I don't know what VT homeowners who are struggling now are going to do.

Last night I was looking at online real estate listings for Durango, CO. A 3BR, 2BA house with attached garage and detached 2 story barn/workshop/garage on 5 acres (similar to a few properties I've seen locally in VT) was $350K (a little more than local Chester/Andover properties) with annual taxes of $948.00. I'm paying just about $5K in VT for 13 very hilly acres and a much smaller house.

Given that Durango is a tourist destination -- much like many parts of VT -- perhaps VT should look into the Colorado model in an effort to help the residents?

(Oh, for giggles I looked up at $5.95 million dollar home on 12.26 acres. Taxes were $12,600.00)

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 06-01-2012 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot one thing.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM

325 posts, read 706,240 times
Vermont pays for the social programs with high property taxes.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
School taxes are still the biggest portion of the taxes. Many towns have a pretty low tax rate, and then you add in the school taxes and it's jaw-droppingly high...

Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonr View Post
My rent is $710 for a really nice one-bedroom. It is fairly large for Burlington, very well-maintained, and a seven minute walk to Church Street. I always budget another 100 dollars for electric, internet, and heat in the winter.

I am not making a lot of money but I have enough to survive on. I definitely have to watch how much I am spending on going out and fun times, but I have always been a good saver. If you budget you can make a meager salary work in Burlington.

You can definitely live in Burlington without a car as long as you don't need one for work, but I really enjoy having my car and being able to take trips on the weekends. I also find the only grocery store walkable, City Market, to be nice but outrageously expensive.
You got lucky, my friend. A quick look at Craigslist and it's clear that most under $750 are shared rooms with college kids, the rest are studios.

Fortunately, the current situation is quite unsustainable, and something will have to give. Maybe that means sensible housing growth, maybe it means economic ruin for
the state. Either way, housing that's unaffordable for the majority of the population cannot continue.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,208 times
I used to pay 900 for a small 2 bedroom apartment with nothing included on north ave... Right off north st. That's average price... It gets cheaper if u live in colchester or winooski, or the other parts of the old north end can get cheaper. But not by much. If u move to Georgia, Milton, Fairfax or st. Albans you can get cheaper housing in Exchange for a dead town... And a 15-35 min commute depending on which town u choose.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Vermont pays for the social programs with high property taxes.
This has to stop. We're a draw for useless people all over the us. People who have no connection to vt and come here solely to live off the state.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM

325 posts, read 706,240 times
I am from Burlington, cannot find a place to live, and am regretting it. It's changed so much. The average person cannot make it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT