Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times

Advertisements

Burlington is unique. We have one of, if not the smallest number of available housing units. The laws are set up so that a landlord has little to no resources to collect on damaged property (outside of court and that takes months). It is much easier to rent to collage kids, even if they cause a little damage. I'm a landlord. I would rather fix holes and repaint than have to replace woodwork and floors. I understand many people have great pets, but I have no way of knowing that. I understand your frustration, but the laws in place seem to protect the tenant more than the landlord. This why landlords refuse pets.
Towns like Winooski are able to charge monthly rent for pets. The other option I can think of would be Keen's Crossing at Winooski Falls. I don't have the link, but you could do a Google search. They do rent with pets. They charge monthly rent per pet. The big downside is they are expensive. A big plus is you would be a few minutes from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Burlington also only allows landlords to ask for a security deposit equivalent to one months' rent. Ridiculous! The way the system is set up it takes approx TWO months to get rid of a deadbeat tenant in VT. I am a landlord in VT but no WAY would I ever want yo be a landlord in one of the areas like Burlington that make it impossible for landlords to deal properly wth trashy tenants.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
You have to look at this from a landlords perspective. The fact that your " not a scumbag with a puppy " has little to do with it. Same for being a physician, a moot point. Coming from the perspective that ALL physicians are perfect tenants and that adult dogs never make a mess is very naive. There are two sides to every issue, understand the landlords side. Some informative posts in this thread should give you some perspective on that. This will help you.

As others have suggested perhaps the idea of offering to pay an extra security deposit might make the diference. If your pets are as perfect as you say, you would be getting that back...right?

Renting with pets is gonna make your search much harder. Not just in Burlington, but many other places around the country as well. As I said, it makes it harder but certainly not impossible. Don't give up, use all resources available and there are many. Realtors(some manage rental units), Property Management companies, your employer, craiglist, Burlington Free Press, Seven Days, many more. I hope you find a place that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT