Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,986 times

Advertisements

Where would be places to help me find an apartment? Are there rental agencies? Driving around looking for signs? Coffee shop bulletin boards?

I've checked the 7days classified and it's pretty minimal pickings. Craigslist is full of spam.

We are coming up this weekend to look for something in person since the online options seem so minimal.

We are looking for 1 or 2 bedroom, ok with old dogs, any neighborhood or suburb with buslines. We would love the city, even your worst parts if we can find something cheap. We are coming from Buffalo, so we are used to old buildings and bad neighborhoods, but not to the high rents. Eventually, we'll acclimate and get a better place, so we're thinking 1-2 years wherever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Yes, I think it'll be easier in person. Keep in mind though that Burlington has a very tight rental market.
Larkin Realty owns/manages a few apartment complexes. I'd give them a buzz.
Burlington VT Real Estate | Homes for Sale
also:
Welcome To Diemer Properties - Diemer Properties, Apartments and Holdings, LLC

Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
In 1974 I left Vermont for Wyoming, after 23 years I decided to move back. A month before I planned to leave I flew back to Vermont and spent the week with the sole purpose to find a place for rent in the Montpelier area. This might be abit extreme but it resulted in being able to check all the resources and personally see the places available. I found a great place, put down a deposit and flew back to Wyoming knowing I had a place to live in hand. So, yes it's much better to find a place in person.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 28,755 times
We have been looking for rental homes in Vt & I do think it's easier to find a place in person, we will be visiting in the next few months but in order to begin familiarizing ourselves with the cities we are interested in we've been using hotpads.com. It has pictures & usually a good description of the place. Good luck in finding a place!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 PM

We were in town for a few days and didn't get to see even one apartment. We have two dogs and no one is interested in renting to two dogs. We'll keep looking, but it was a total bust.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Because of the rental laws in Burlington, pets are a huge turn-off. It's much easier and less hassle to rent to tenants without pets. My step-son has a cat and ended up in Milton because he wasn't able to find a place that met his needs. Depending on your needs or requirements, you may have better luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 PM

We tried Milton, Winooski, Essex, Colchester, South Burlington, Shelburne. Nothing. We'll keep trying until we get something, but it's wearing on my patience. It's not like I'm a scumbag with a puppy, I'm a physician with 2 old dogs that I have no intention of ditching.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Are you a resident at FAHC? If so, the HR department may be of some help. Another place to look would be the boards outside the Davis Auditorium or in the McClure lobby entrance.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM

No. I'm a Naturopathic Physician going to work for Avalon Natural Health downtown.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJenWilliamson View Post
We tried Milton, Winooski, Essex, Colchester, South Burlington, Shelburne. Nothing. We'll keep trying until we get something, but it's wearing on my patience. It's not like I'm a scumbag with a puppy, I'm a physician with 2 old dogs that I have no intention of ditching.
We had a similar experience when we moved to New Orleans for a one-year clerkship. We only had one dog at that time, but it was REALLY hard to find something. We'd visit these apartments that had been T-R-A-S-H-E-D by Tulane students (sorry, not targeting Tulane, just providing the details), and yet, they would not listen to one word we said about our extremely well-behaved and quiet dog. As my husband said - to a prospective landlord, I think - when looking at one of those apartments: "My dog would not do this to your apartment even if left alone in here for a week, and you won't rent to us solely because of him?" It was unreal.

What finally worked for us was to place our own ad in the newspaper, describing ourselves in the best possible terms - reliable professionals with great credit, etc. etc. - and then stating that we did have a dog. We got ONE call back, but it was better than nothing at all (which was what he had had up until then), and we rented the place. It was not a palace, but it wasn't so bad, and our problem was solved. (That landlord even let us get a new puppy towards the end of our one-year lease.)

Anyway, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT