Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times

Advertisements

Per Free Press and confirmed by Whole Foods. Unfortunately it won't be until late 2011. Sounds like it's going to be somewhere around exit 14 on Williston Road. I wonder what this means for Wealthy Living er...Healthy Living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
This has been in the works for a couple of years "behind the scenes" so to speak. I've actually seen the plans. There will be a big re-working of the Dorset St./Williston Rd intersection - the store will be behind Holiday Inn and the Windjammer (assuming that this is still the plan).
They better get the ball rolling on city and state permitting if they want to open in 2011!
I never shop at Healthy living. Way too expensive and seems a little pretentious to me. I prefer Natural Provisions in Williston.
Maybe Whole Foods will pave the way for a Trader Joes!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Maybe Whole Foods will pave the way for a Trader Joes!
This has been my dream.

Seriously though, this is very bad for healthy living which just got an expensive store, and perhaps even City Market.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:20 AM

274 posts, read 673,846 times
This is funny. I just moved from NH, where I would have been jumping for joy for a Whole Foods because there is almost NOTHING in Manchester for good natural foods. But now that I live here, it's anticlimatic since we already have several good independent stores. I've lived in MA around Whole Foods before and can say their prices are not better than Wealthy Living, so it doesn't add anything that way. (but sale prices in both stores are very good!). What it WILL add though is very good jobs. They treat their associates as professionals and there are several good career tracks within their stores. They pay well too. It's not a typical $8/hr cashier job.

I do feel bad that this might hurt the other local stores. Or maybe it won't because people here like to support local so much?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 AM

p.s. Now if we get a Trader Joe's ever....then I'll be running in circles and jumping in joy!! In NH, we shop at the one in Nashua and load a deep freezer 1x per month. I love it, and the prices are amazing! They also pay very high and have good jobs.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
That's great ~ I've often wondered why Whole Foods isn't in Vermont. Target, too. And a Trader Joes would be fantastic.

However, there is a wonderful market in Burlington called "City Market / Onion River Co-op." Home | City Market / Onion River Co-op I always make a point of shopping there when I'm in Stowe. I appreciate that the majority of products of from local Vermont producers, something I hope Whole Foods will do. I'll still shop at City Market even after Whole Foods opens (I'll go to both). I like the funky vibe at City Market.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM

258 posts, read 325,507 times
Whole foods is off the charts expensive. Wild Oats out of Colorado was much better, but Whole foods bought it out because they want a monopoly so they can charge usurious rates.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
To me, its just another expensive, image based, boutique style "health" store.
From another angle and on a more positive note, the ones here treat their
employees well and hire for three shifts. A big plus if that were to happen in VT !

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Trader Joe's would be a natural for the Burlington area, I'm kind of surprised there's not one now (of course when I visited in April I was surprised there was no CVS either.....but this would make sense)

Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Essex is getting a CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT