Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 230,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Interesting "statistic." Where did you learn that 50% of Vermonters are rich? Haven't seen evidence of this myself but I'm happy to look at your data.
He didn't say Vermonters he said people living in Vermont. There is a difference. I definitely come across lots of affluent folks from other places who do not rely on income earned in VT to support themselves.

Ultimately, I find the chasm between have and have not in Vermont very depressing. It reminds me of the really rural parts of Alabama in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM

894 posts, read 1,565,852 times
I believe 20% of VTers make over 100K per year. A lot of these people are fulltimers in the metro areas but own a VT house and file in VT, others are airline pilots and ship captains that make their money elsewhere and can live anywhere when they aren't at work. Trust fund income may not be reported as income and may be impossible to measure. First you have to define 'rich,' then you have to define 'Vermonter' I'd guess 50% is probably an overestimate.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,146,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
He didn't say Vermonters he said people living in Vermont. There is a difference.

Interesting. So anyone "from away" is not a Vermonter and no Vermonters are rich? Okay, I won't dignify those specious definitions further, but for the sake of this discussion:

Please show me data demonstrating that 50% of Vermont residents are rich.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM

82 posts, read 230,035 times
I didn't say the stats were accurate. I just said, you misinterpreted what his post sought to measure. Also, I was under the impression that one was not considered a Vermonter if they cannot trace their family tree back the original seed, soil and watering pail.

Yeah, there probably needs to be some clarification of "rich".

Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,811,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm with you. I'm always mystified by the prevalence of people in the Vermont forum who clearly dislike Vermont and are constantly loading the board with political rants against the people, policies, and politicians of the state.
Nobody is ranting,I love Vermont-my family roots go back to the 1760's in Vermont.

That does not change the fact that the cost of living in VT vs. wages paid is the highest in the country.
People considering moving there need to be made aware of this,however much it bothers your sensibilities.

Of course few ,if any, on here grew up in Vermont in the 30's.
In my lifetime I have seen VT change, perhaps excluding Florida, its basic ethos more than any other state.

Some thought the old Yankee dairy-farmer culture was better, I guess most would say the "yuppy" tinge of VT today is better.Whatever.

As an old man I now live in rural central WI for several reasons, not the least of which is that it is MUCH more like the VT of my youth than anywhere in VT today.

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT