Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 PM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times

Advertisements

There are tons of business that you can start for well under 30k. Most of them will be service or online businesses. Not too many brick and mortar can be started for that price.

Still, you can make alot of money with service businesses but it is hard work either doing the work or managing the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah I agree...bricks and mortar place for 30k isn't too practical...but I'm sure it has been done.

There are existing businesses with equipment etc that can gotten into relatively cheaply. But probably not the norm.

I think the best might be some kind of business where you focus most of your time on the marketing and building the business versus doing the work.

Something like mobile detailing can be good i'm sure. But if you are doing all the work you have little time to focus on the business.

Ideally one would build up to where they can hire others to do the work and focus on marketing and management.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I agree...bricks and mortar place for 30k isn't too practical...but I'm sure it has been done.

There are existing businesses with equipment etc that can gotten into relatively cheaply. But probably not the norm.

I think the best might be some kind of business where you focus most of your time on the marketing and building the business versus doing the work.

Something like mobile detailing can be good i'm sure. But if you are doing all the work you have little time to focus on the business.

Ideally one would build up to where they can hire others to do the work and focus on marketing and management.
My opinion is that falling into the role of "boss" is the worst mistake you can make. We have owned and operated our small business for 2 and a half years and during that time we have had three people working for us. In each case, we thought we had found a great employee and in each case we were very thoroughly disappointed. Employees will NOT show up for work, they will call in sick when they are hung over, they will lie and they will steal from you. More businesses have gone under because they relied to heavily on employees instead of doing the work themselves. My husband and I are at the shop every single day. Customers love having the consistency of seeing the same person all the time and we have 100 percent control over our money and our merchandise. We will never make the mistake of trusting an employee with either again.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My opinion is that falling into the role of "boss" is the worst mistake you can make. We have owned and operated our small business for 2 and a half years and during that time we have had three people working for us. In each case, we thought we had found a great employee and in each case we were very thoroughly disappointed. Employees will NOT show up for work, they will call in sick when they are hung over, they will lie and they will steal from you. More businesses have gone under because they relied to heavily on employees instead of doing the work themselves. My husband and I are at the shop every single day. Customers love having the consistency of seeing the same person all the time and we have 100 percent control over our money and our merchandise. We will never make the mistake of trusting an employee with either again.

20yrsinBranson
You dont have a business you have a job. That is what you have if your business does not run without you. You need to read e-myth.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I saw this book at the library yesterday and checked it out. It's actually specifically about large business that started very small, so it reminded me of this thread.

It's called Start Small Finish Big: Fifteen Key Lessons to Start - and Run - Your Own Successful Business . The author of the book is Fred DeLuca the founder of the Subway sandwich chain.

It's also available via Amazon..but you might also find it at your library .
Start Small Finish Big: Fifteen Key Lessons to Start - and Run - Your Own Successful Business: Fred DeLuca, John P. Hayes: 9781627040020: Amazon.com: Books

I was just reading the beginning and it stated that they all started with under 5k and most of them with $1,000 or so . Sure many of the businesses were started years ago, but even taking into inflation that should be significantly below $30,000.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Excellent info from someone who has never applied for a business license, rented a commercial bldg, paid City, State fees and more depending on the type of operation.

Being self employed is NOT a JOB when all the above requirements are filled......you are a business owner.

Go to any Industrial Park and you will find many small operations working late nights and weekends.

Those operations may be considered a JOB but in the end financial results will be a LOT more then the hourly/week pay check many receive every Friday.

Many are satisfied working 40 hrs a week and their future is limited to just that.

Others desire more thus will start or go into a business venture via purchase or self starting.

I went the self starting route and owned/started six different ventures over a 36 yr period.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,557 times
Default Gain more knowledge first

I would gain knowledge first, the more you learn about starting up a business, the more likely you will be to succeed. The key is to always keep learning, first start out with general business startup books, then once you decide which type of business you want to start (Real Estate, E-commerce, Home Services, etc) you can buy specific books on those topics. I would start with $50 - $100 or so and buy some books about starting your own business and creating wealth. There are some great ones out there and it will be money well spent, here's some I recommend:

The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime
http://tinyurl.com/k98ff23

Choose Yourself! by James Atucher (Highly successful Entrepreneur)
http://tinyurl.com/n9yfchr

Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
http://tinyurl.com/mja7n3k

Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Find a good location and open a small shop/convenience store. Say a Lobby of a busy hotel or somewhere in a big office complex or a museum/tourist destination.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:55 PM

54 posts, read 128,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
You dont have a business you have a job. That is what you have if your business does not run without you. You need to read e-myth.
Yeah a job that you can set your own hours and have no boss shoot ill take that option any day lol

Old 08-02-2013, 03:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanSprinter View Post
Yeah a job that you can set your own hours and have no boss shoot ill take that option any day lol
Yeah let me know where you can find one. Lol
Owning your own business especially now is 10 times harder than a traditional job. Most corporations match 401k contributions and pay 80pct of premium for health and dental not to mention the onerous taxes you pay if you own your own business

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business