Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Car washing service...where the car washers are all women in bikinis.

"Wash N' Watch"
Why if you have to hire 4 women and they each wants $30/hr while you're only charging $20 per wash and they only wash 3 cars per hour.

Your burn rate will be $120/hr to pay the girls while at 3 car washes per hour you're only making $60 and your down $60 per hour.

These girl car washes is gimmicky, you think someone with wife and kids will come and wash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM

241 posts, read 316,940 times
Real estate. I'd use the 30K to buy a building or house, fix it up and then flip it. Credit is becoming more loose and I know some unemployed/under employed electricians, handymen and construction workers. using a loan plus the 30K I'd scope out homes that could be flipped for a profit. You won't always win but If I have to start a business with the 30K that seems safer than a restaurant.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
Real estate. I'd use the 30K to buy a building or house, fix it up and then flip it. Credit is becoming more loose and I know some unemployed/under employed electricians, handymen and construction workers. using a loan plus the 30K I'd scope out homes that could be flipped for a profit. You won't always win but If I have to start a business with the 30K that seems safer than a restaurant.
Yeah definitely would be safer than a restaurant in general. Even people that really know what they are doing in restaurant business go out of business often. Usually those that really know real estate don't lose if they know what they are doing.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Let's look at a few hard facts, one has to consider when the start a business.

1: The majority of businesses that are started (about 80%) go broke in the first 2 years in business.

2: If you are not experienced in the particular business you are starting, you are solid in line to be in that 80%.

3 : You have to have enough money set aside to support yourself/family without drawing anything out of the business for a year. This must be addition to the money you use to start the business, and to keep it in business till it becomes profitable. It is a rare business, that makes enough profit, the owner can draw a salary within the first year. Some take longer than that.

One of the big things on the Internet today is Twitter. The last 3 years the company was required to disclose financial details. Twitter has lost money for all three years. They are hoping to get this turned around. They lost $69,000,000 in the first 6 months of 2013.

Here are 5 major companies that are losing huge amounts of money each year.

Eight Great Tech Brands Losing Money - 24/7 Wall St.

5 Companies That Are Still Losing Money - DailyFinance

Even the big corporations with lots of money behind them, are often losing money every year.

It is harder for the small business person to run a profitable business. Though most people do not realize this.

I was a commercial/investment broker starting in 1972, till I finally retired, owning my own brokerage office.

I have seen financial statements for thousands of businesses, and it is amazing how many lost money from very small to mid size.

The information I gave above, I learned in Business Classes at a major university. And have seen it over and over again.

The majority of small businesses that go on the market, due to the owners health problems. Truth is as we joked in the industry, "They are for sale, because the owner is sick of losing money".

If you want to start a business, first go to work for one like you would like to own, and only after you truly understand the business after at least a year or two, then and only then invest in or start a business.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Let's look at a few hard facts, one has to consider when the start a business.

1: The majority of businesses that are started (about 80%) go broke in the first 2 years in business.

2: If you are not experienced in the particular business you are starting, you are solid in line to be in that 80%.

3 : You have to have enough money set aside to support yourself/family without drawing anything out of the business for a year. This must be addition to the money you use to start the business, and to keep it in business till it becomes profitable. It is a rare business, that makes enough profit, the owner can draw a salary within the first year. Some take longer than that.

One of the big things on the Internet today is Twitter. The last 3 years the company was required to disclose financial details. Twitter has lost money for all three years. They are hoping to get this turned around. They lost $69,000,000 in the first 6 months of 2013.

Here are 5 major companies that are losing huge amounts of money each year.

Eight Great Tech Brands Losing Money - 24/7 Wall St.

5 Companies That Are Still Losing Money - DailyFinance

Even the big corporations with lots of money behind them, are often losing money every year.

It is harder for the small business person to run a profitable business. Though most people do not realize this.

I was a commercial/investment broker starting in 1972, till I finally retired, owning my own brokerage office.

I have seen financial statements for thousands of businesses, and it is amazing how many lost money from very small to mid size.

The information I gave above, I learned in Business Classes at a major university. And have seen it over and over again.

The majority of small businesses that go on the market, due to the owners health problems. Truth is as we joked in the industry, "They are for sale, because the owner is sick of losing money".

If you want to start a business, first go to work for one like you would like to own, and only after you truly understand the business after at least a year or two, then and only then invest in or start a business.

Good post. Here is my question. My brother-in-law has owned his franchise for some time. Not sure exactly what he makes, but it is a good amount. However, he has worked his whole life to get where he is. I know he has spoken in the past how difficult it is to find someone to buy the business. There are genuinely a lot of people that want to sell, but simply can't because they can't find anyone to buy it.

How do you find these people? And how do you distinguish these people from the people looking to unload simply because they are losing money.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexArizona View Post
I would gain knowledge first, the more you learn about starting up a business, the more likely you will be to succeed. The key is to always keep learning, first start out with general business startup books, then once you decide which type of business you want to start (Real Estate, E-commerce, Home Services, etc) you can buy specific books on those topics. I would start with $50 - $100 or so and buy some books about starting your own business and creating wealth. There are some great ones out there and it will be money well spent, here's some I recommend:

The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime
The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime.: MJ DeMarco: 9780984358106: Amazon.com: Books

Choose Yourself! by James Atucher (Highly successful Entrepreneur)
Choose Yourself!: James Altucher, Dick Costolo: 9781490313375: Amazon.com: Books

Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You: John Warrillow, Bo Burlingham: 9781591845829: Amazon.com: Books

James Atucher? Really...sigh. I agree with your premise though-just not him.

However-he didn't predict stock market 20K and people laughed at him.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Not an expert, but nursing/assisting living support seems like a good field to get into right now if you are up to that sorta thing.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
I would not spend $30k to start the business.

I would create a small investment fund(Private Placement). That will cost you about $6,000. I would than solicit private investors for capital with the goal of raising $2 million in 6 months. I'd use the $2million for a down payment of a $10-$12 million dollar business in a industry that I could expand in. I would expand by way of buying my competitors as well as synergistic companies. After 5 years of expansion, I would sell the company to a Private Equity firm.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I have 30k. I don't want to buy a car or anything like that. What kinds of business come to mind? This 30k will have to cover everything, my current income is only 1k/month, so I won't have any extra income while starting this business apart from my father who could help me here and there. Here are a few details about me,

I'm unemployed with no children so I can dedicate all my time
I have a g/f who could be available full time to help me
Comfortable with computers as well as getting my hands dirty
Comfortable with talking to people but not very out-going
Some of my experience is travel agent, automotive, and developmental disabled
No degree

I want something that can expand in these times with the right managing and isn't very vulnerable to recessions or unpredictable modern changing times. Thanks in advance.
Just because you have money doesn't mean you know how to run a business. Most small businesses fail because of people have money and a dream but no business knowledge or experience. Go take some business classes at a local community college at least.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Just because you have money doesn't mean you know how to run a business. Most small businesses fail because of people have money and a dream but no business knowledge or experience. Go take some business classes at a local community college at least.

Better yet, the best training that will ever prepare someone to run a business is managing a business. You cannot beat that experience. Course work cannot compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business