Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
AMEN!!!!! How many times have I been behind someone checking out 200 bucks worth of groceries only to have them wait until the entire transaction is complete before even LOOKING for their checkbook? I mean, really people....is it so hard to do a little pre-writing while the cashier is scanning your groceries instead of twiddling your thumbs or checking your text messages? I am really excited to hear this news!
This.

Paying by check doesn't necessarily have to take much longer than paying another way, but it almost always DOES take longer because the people who do it are self-centered twits who refuse to do that bit of pre-writing and getting things ready, that would come naturally if they had some common decency.

Obviously from some of the posts here, many people are big fans of standing in lines waiting. That's fine, but do they have to satisfy that urge in front of me in a grocery line? Can't they all get together and form a line going to .... oh, I don't know, a trash can or something, or maybe just shuffle around in a large circle?

I'm giving a big, priaptic thumbs-up to Whole Foods on this. Not only will the lines move faster, but the whole operation will be more efficient, and that cost savings will be passed along to the customers.

(just kidding,as a slightly higher profit it will be passed along to the shareholders, but that's ok too ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't have a problem or complain about people who use buggies and/or outhouses. Frankly, it doesn't bug me enough to care. Same with people using checks.
if people want to use outhouses and go to a well for water thats on them it doesnt effect me at all
people using antiquated payment methods does
would you really not care if you went to a freinds house who had no running water and you had to walk miles to a well to get some?
would you care if when they went to drop you off at the airport you had to leave 6 hours before your flight because they wanted to take you in a horse and buggy

your "it was this way for 50 years" argument holds no water at all
sure 20 years ago it would have been acceptable to wait behind someone using a check
it would be acceptable to wait 2-3 minutes while a credit card tranaction had to get approved, but i wouldnt frequent a business that had machines this old now

it would have been acceptable for me to use dialup

it would have been acceptable if i checked into a hotel 50 years ago for there to be a tiny black and white tv

who cares- those days are over

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Checks are still useful.

I had to recently use my checks to buy groceries because my debit card was taken by the atm when I forgot to take it out in time. I had to wait several days for the bank to mail me my card. During that time my checks came in handy for buying groceries and paying bills.

So for those who have no checks what will you do to buy things if something happens to your debit or credit card? I probably would have starved if Kroger and Ingles no longer accepted checks

Last edited by Motion; 11-03-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
As far as checks taking too much time to write. Well just have them partly filled out before going into the store. I always have the date,the store's name and my signiture written on the checks early on. I then only have to write in the total of the purchase at the cashier.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Checks are still useful.

I had to recently use my checks to buy groceries because my debit card was taken by the atm when I forgot to take it out in time. I had to wait several days for the bank to mail me my card. During that time my checks came in handy for buying groceries and paying bills.

So for those who have no checks what will you do to buy things if something happens to your debit or credit card? I probably would have starved if Kroger and Ingles no longer accepted checks

i don't even have a debit card
i have a few credit cards and cash

Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Hey, watch who you're calling a self-centered twit! I've been the evil check writer a couple of time. For some reason (we won't go in to that) I've found myself plasticless but I happened to have a couple of checks in my purse. What are the odds? I didn't win the lottery but at least I could pay for my groceries. The one store had the check print and all I had to do was approve and sign.

I guess that Whole Foods doesn't have enough check writers as customers to bother to put that system in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This.

Paying by check doesn't necessarily have to take much longer than paying another way, but it almost always DOES take longer because the people who do it are self-centered twits who refuse to do that bit of pre-writing and getting things ready, that would come naturally if they had some common decency.

Obviously from some of the posts here, many people are big fans of standing in lines waiting. That's fine, but do they have to satisfy that urge in front of me in a grocery line? Can't they all get together and form a line going to .... oh, I don't know, a trash can or something, or maybe just shuffle around in a large circle?

I'm giving a big, priaptic thumbs-up to Whole Foods on this. Not only will the lines move faster, but the whole operation will be more efficient, and that cost savings will be passed along to the customers.

(just kidding,as a slightly higher profit it will be passed along to the shareholders, but that's ok too ).

Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Walk miles for water... Really? Even people who have well water don't walk for miles to retrieve it. They didn't do that 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
if people want to use outhouses and go to a well for water thats on them it doesnt effect me at all
would you really not care if you went to a freinds house who had no running water and you had to walk miles to a well to get some?
would you care if when they went to drop you off at the airport you had to leave 6 hours before your flight because they wanted to take you in a horse and buggy

sure 20 years ago it would have been acceptable to wait behind someone using a check
it would be acceptable to wait 2-3 minutes while a credit card tranaction had to get approved, but i wouldnt frequent a business that had machines this old now

it would have been acceptable if i checked into a hotel 50 years ago for there to be a tiny black and white tv

who cares- those days are over

Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Well, the outhouse I'd have concerns about for other reasons than the time involved.

As for the horse buggy and water is not an issue really... Obviously the ride to the airport would be planned... so I would plan in 6 hours for the ride OR make my own adjustments to accommodate myself. Just like I plan in 1 hour for the limo ride to the airport from my house
Quote:

It's ridiculous that you're comparing 2 minutes of waiting in line to 6 hours of riding in a horse buggy and dial-up internet. There's a significant difference in magnitude.

If the time is that important to you, why not outsource your grocery shopping altogether?

Quote:

who cares- ....
Apparently you do. That's why you wrote all this up.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
I kinda despise it when someone hogs the line by writing a check..

But I do agree banning it outright is a bit extreme..

Maybe they should charge $1 or something extra for using checks. After all, some merchants will charge extra for using a credit card.. why not checks.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hey, watch who you're calling a self-centered twit! I've been the evil check writer a couple of time.
You and many others here are missing the point. The poster to whom you responded was not calling all check writers self-centered twits, but just those who are inconsiderate by not partially filling out the check while still in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Maybe they should charge $1 or something extra for using checks. After all, some merchants will charge extra for using a credit card.. why not checks.
The merchant actually pays extra if you use a credit card as opposed to cash - about 3% - it's a processing fee. So they would probably reap bad PR by charging when there is no additional cost to them. Unless it's considered amortization for bad checks. I wonder what percentage of checks are bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business