Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times

Advertisements

How about a feed store...are there alot of farms in the area? Maybe an organic produce market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Roller skating rink, with arcade games in smaller rooms. Air hockey, pool. The theatre area could have the chairs taken out and be the floor for the skating rink.

Or...drop off day care center....

Or..strip club and bar. I do like the idea of games...how about indoor paint ball?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
I own a closed movie theater in Checotah, Oklahoma (Gentry Cinema). The building is still in good condition and has a lot of equipment still in it. It was renovated and remodeled in 2008. It closed in early 2010, a little over a year after its reopening. I have been trying to sell it since it closed, but so far everything I've tried has fallen through. So far, people who are interested don't have the resources to buy or even to rent, or they change their mind for other reasons. It wasn't open long enough to really get established, so there are no solid financial statements to show whether or not it is a good investment. Any new buyer would have to come up with their own business plan. They could not just walk in and expect to start making money. It will take work. Ongoing changes in the movie theater business will mean money will need to be spent soon for costly professional cinema grade digital projection equipment. This leaves most investors out. They want a guaranteed return.

So, this leaves me needing to find someone with a vision and desire to reopen the building. It wouldn't have to be a theater. It could be anything a person could come up with for such a facility. It has 2 auditoriums, one very small and one bigger. It has a concession stand with an adjacent seating area with tables. It has a separate upstairs space used for projection and a bonus area. The whole downstairs is handicap accessible and it has a fire sprinkler system. It is located in the center of town in the downtown area. There is lots of on-street parking. It is located in a town with 3,500 people in town, over 10,000 in the zip code and about 20,000 in the county. It is the only movie theater in the county. I have a lot of money tied up in it, but I don't plan to be the one to do anything with it, other than to sell it or rent it. I live far away now, and I don't have money to do anything with it. What would you do with this closed movie theater if it were yours? What type of business should I seek to fill it?

I live in a small town (8000) in Nebraska. We have an old theater that has been and is still undergoing remodeling with donations, back to original condition.

They have concerts, like smal bands, local and from out of state. They have Plays and story telling from past, comedy, and just about everything in between.

It has been real successful and has sold out many times. They also show old movies, but we have a new modern theater in town for regular movies.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I have a friend who has developed a very successful business operating theaters in small towns. I doubt he'd be interested in yours due to the distance (he's in southern Illinois), but he may have some advice or know someone who would be interested. I'll PM you contact information.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Can you get a liquor license? Some of the movie theaters around here have a full service bar in house. Not sure how much money you're willing to dump into it though, but that'd be an idea. I'd also host parties to big games (that's Sooners Nation, right?), perhaps rent it out for video gaming tournaments.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 AM

80 posts, read 247,018 times
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. As I've said, I'm not in a position to really do anything with this property. I live far away in another state now. I am just looking for ideas that someone else might use. That way I might be able to pitch some of them to prospective buyers or use them to target some new market segments in my efforts to sell. So, I appreciate your responses and hope that something might take root somehow.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 AM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
What about a records retention facility? Doctors, lawyers, and most retailers are still required to keep physical copies of paper/notes/records/financial statements. Overhead would be low...a series of steel A-frames, a few ladders, and a desk with a phone and computer.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Off the top of my head

-a place for parties or weddings. People are always looking for big spaces and I would think an indoor one would be needed for bad weather.

-a draft house type place with tables for people to eat, drink, and watch a movie

-a kids' theatre by day - kids movies plus popcorn and other kids fare, regular movies at night; have smaller room for babysitting/kids' club

-a community theatre for plays both kids and adults

-a comedy club

-an indoor play place for children with soft play equipment

Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM

547 posts, read 939,445 times
Got you covered right here. Make the place like a hang out for young and old people. Have a stage built for bands who want to showcase their talent. Even if the town is small, you could have other people from other towns come over and hang out, listen to music, and even showcase their bands. Music could be classic rock n roll, contempory rock n roll, country, rap, pop, jazz, etc.

You can build a kitchen for the back, that way people can order food while hanging out and listening to music.

The floor could be used for dancing to all sorts of music that is played there.

You could also have the staged used for people who want to tell jokes. Maybe have an open mike night.

In addition to having singers/bands/acts there, you can have a dj playing music as well. You could have an 80's night or a 70's night. Maybe do a swing jazz night with the dj playing the music or having a band playing the music and letting people swing dance and what not.

Maybe have a karaoke night where people sing different songs.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,370 times
Something like this place?

Old Town Music Hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business