Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
So, this leaves me needing to find someone with a vision and desire to reopen the building. It wouldn't have to be a theater. It could be anything a person could come up with for such a facility. It has 2 auditoriums, one very small and one bigger. It has a concession stand with an adjacent seating area with tables. It has a separate upstairs space used for projection and a bonus area. The whole downstairs is handicap accessible and it has a fire sprinkler system. It is located in the center of town in the downtown area. There is lots of on-street parking. It is located in a town with 3,500 people in town, over 10,000 in the zip code and about 20,000 in the county. It is the only movie theater in the county. I have a lot of money tied up in it, but I don't plan to be the one to do anything with it, other than to sell it or rent it. I live far away now, and I don't have money to do anything with it. What would you do with this closed movie theater if it were yours? What type of business should I seek to fill it?
Many Years ago I visited Philadelphia. Where a very, very old movie theater had been "adapted" (for lack of a better word) to show DVDs on a big screen television!!!! There was a total of about 15 people in the audience who all paid $2 for the privilege.

There are a million things that this facility could be used for.

The problem is that nobody but you is going to do it. In case you haven't noticed (and I'm sure you have) 99.999 percent of the people in this country are content to punch a clock, work eight hours a day and collect their pay. They are not interested in being innovative, motivated, and determined to succeed. And with any business, you MUST be those things.

If I were in your shoes I would do one of two things. I would advertise HEAVILY in publications targeted toward members of the performing arts. You just MIGHT find some young man who wants to start up some kind of live theater but does not have the financial resources to do it in the big city. *or* you might find someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and enough vision to put something wonderful together. Something like a dinner theater.

The other option you have would be to simply move back and run it yourself. You mention that you would need to "upgrade" to new digital equipment to play first-run movies, but I would venture a guess that there is a world of old movies out there on film that you could show that would draw a crowd. I do not have the resources to find out the specifics, but I am certain that some enterprising soul has "bought up" all the old movies on film and is doing something to make money with them. Personally, I would find it very cool to be able to watch those old movies in a movie house complete with the whole "experience" (popcorn, yay). Many people (everybody under 30 for instance), have never seen Jaws, or Haloween or even The Sound of Music in a movie theater setting. What a great opportunity it would be to do this and to make money at the same time!

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Mnay places have made them public entertainment venues.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Many Years ago I visited Philadelphia. Where a very, very old movie theater had been "adapted" (for lack of a better word) to show DVDs on a big screen television!!!! There was a total of about 15 people in the audience who all paid $2 for the privilege.

The other option you have would be to simply move back and run it yourself. You mention that you would need to "upgrade" to new digital equipment to play first-run movies, but I would venture a guess that there is a world of old movies out there on film that you could show that would draw a crowd. I do not have the resources to find out the specifics, but I am certain that some enterprising soul has "bought up" all the old movies on film and is doing something to make money with them. Personally, I would find it very cool to be able to watch those old movies in a movie house complete with the whole "experience" (popcorn, yay). Many people (everybody under 30 for instance), have never seen Jaws, or Haloween or even The Sound of Music in a movie theater setting. What a great opportunity it would be to do this and to make money at the same time!

The above is absolutely, positively, illegal. Distribution rights and public performances are retained. Buying a copy of a work ONLY gives you the right to personally view it. The studios would be on this like a ton of bricks.

The closest there is to the concept are "guerrilla drive-ins" that are akin to pirate radio stations. They do last minute announcements of a location, show a feature and pack up before anyone is the wiser. It is still illegal, but some may get away with showing ANCIENT film beyond the long reach of copyright, or offbeat stuff that has no real product value, or locally made "art". Other than some funded art, I've never heard of these lasting beyond the novelty value of a few shows.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The above is absolutely, positively, illegal. Distribution rights and public performances are retained. Buying a copy of a work ONLY gives you the right to personally view it. The studios would be on this like a ton of bricks.

The closest there is to the concept are "guerrilla drive-ins" that are akin to pirate radio stations. They do last minute announcements of a location, show a feature and pack up before anyone is the wiser. It is still illegal, but some may get away with showing ANCIENT film beyond the long reach of copyright, or offbeat stuff that has no real product value, or locally made "art". Other than some funded art, I've never heard of these lasting beyond the novelty value of a few shows.
I have no way of knowing whether or not the management of these establishments payed royalties for the privilege of showing these films. And neither do you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
I have no way of knowing whether or not the management of these establishments payed royalties for the privilege of showing these films. And neither do you.

Yes, actually, I do. I owned a theatre. I worked in a couple of the circuit corporate officers and had daily conversations with bookers and buyers. I know the rules. FWIW, not that I would, but I also could make a quick call and be talking with one of the few reps left. Consolidation eliminated branch offices a few years back, and a lot of long time employees were put out of work. Those who are still working have no time for idle chit chat.

FWIW, I've attempted doing something similar *through proper channels* On older product, flat rental fees were rare, and the terms were pretty stiff. (Those were back in the days of Velde and a couple places allowed to release for educational purposes - ie: school shows of Shakespeare films, etc.) On the films you mentioned, there is a phrase that you quickly learn - when a film like Jaws or SOM is between major release dates, it is "off release", meaning that it is impossible to rent it legally. Ergo, I know that tv setup was not Kosher.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM

77 posts, read 191,999 times
Combine a gastro-pub with independent movie viewing?

Brooklyn gastropub screening rooms like reRun and indieScreen CineClub latest trend in film-watching - New York Daily News

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Someone wrote a storage space. It is probably the cheapest option. The inside does not have to be pretty. Just fill in a few cracks, improve the insulation a bit, upgrade the HVAC a little, make the entrance/exit a little bigger. And you say you are already near major highways.

There have to be some farmers around tired of building another shed, and want to keep their goods nearer to major transportation. What about nat gas/oil drillers? They need storage too.

Checotah, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the town is a Steer Wrestling town eh? Is there a steer wrestling org in town looking for space to propogate the sport like a sort of HOF or museum? Carrie Underwood is from there too?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM

640 posts, read 717,444 times
Guys and gals, remember that the OP is looking for solutions that involve a minimum of intitial investment.

Owning a restaraunt I can assure you that a gastro pub is not a realistic solution.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Yes, actually, I do. I owned a theatre. I worked in a couple of the circuit corporate officers and had daily conversations with bookers and buyers. I know the rules. FWIW, not that I would, but I also could make a quick call and be talking with one of the few reps left. Consolidation eliminated branch offices a few years back, and a lot of long time employees were put out of work. Those who are still working have no time for idle chit chat.

FWIW, I've attempted doing something similar *through proper channels* On older product, flat rental fees were rare, and the terms were pretty stiff. (Those were back in the days of Velde and a couple places allowed to release for educational purposes - ie: school shows of Shakespeare films, etc.) On the films you mentioned, there is a phrase that you quickly learn - when a film like Jaws or SOM is between major release dates, it is "off release", meaning that it is impossible to rent it legally. Ergo, I know that tv setup was not Kosher.
And to add they certainely aren't going to be showing movies for $2 a pop if they are paying royalties.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Is this a dry county? A bar type venue that shows sporting events could work. That population being so small, it may be hard to justify anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business