Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times

Advertisements

[quote=duster1979;28087734]I've never had a problem printing labels from eBay or getting pictures to upload. Sounds more like a problem with connection speed than eBay.

quote]

It's not a problem with connection speed, with paypal now when some go there, there's a little red box that tell's you, "your browser need's updated" and below that are the links to the browsers, I click on IE and I am not directed to upgrade because I am upgraded, I contacted paypal and they say sorry for the inconvience their site is not at IE 10 yet.

The printing of labels problem seems to affect different area's of the country, I had it with labels not printing and having to wait 15 days for a refund when it was their problem. The discussion boards were no help as to fixing the label problem, I finally contacted someone and paid a small fee to help me with a workaround, so my label problem is now solved until ebay get's their act together, people are complaining on eBay's technical help discussion board about issues with printing label and pictures not loading and ebay is not fixing the problem.

This one topic on complaints has 156,000 views and almost 2600 replies that's quite a lot, most don't post because there user ID shows up and when you click on that you can see what they are selling or have bought, they don't know they can create another user ID just to use for the discussion boards.

Ebay has seriouse server problems and they are not tell anyone!!!: Community Help Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

This is just one link to the label problems but you'll find several post's on that new and old and also on the shipping discussion board, sellers think it's their computer or internet provider but its' not.

shipping labels wont print: Community Help Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

Still when I do a search, pictures are not loading it just spins around, they are trying to be Amazon but they are a very far way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Calculate your shipping to the furthest point in the country and let that be your shipping for all like items.
If you sell items for other people, as mentioned, you don't want their items to cause you to get any negative feedbacks. If the items condition are just to hard to accurately describe or you can not get good closeup photos, then that item may be a negative feedback in progress if you list it.

I get manila envelopes from the post office inside trash cans, and boxes thrown out by local businesses.
That can cut your cost for supplies.
I also get smaller boxes from here and there for items up to 13 oz, I use priority mail only when it's necessary, the padded mailers are good if you buy in bulk, it's too expensive to buying a few at walmart , usually when I buy in bulk I don't need all of them and can resell them on ebay.

This is a link showing cost for those who buy walmart mailers @ .43 each for 25 of them, the price may not seem high but it is if you keep buying them, they are for shipping magazines or something somewhat flat, there are a lot of poly bubble mailers that come in all different sizes, I buy them from ebay, I cannot find them locally. Sellers need to pass that .43 on to the buyer and remember ebay charges you are fee on your shipping rate, which I find wrong to sellers.

Scotch Lightweight Bubble Mailer - Walmart.com

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
[quote=rural lady;28131285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've never had a problem printing labels from eBay or getting pictures to upload. Sounds more like a problem with connection speed than eBay.

quote]

It's not a problem with connection speed, with paypal now when some go there, there's a little red box that tell's you, "your browser need's updated" and below that are the links to the browsers, I click on IE and I am not directed to upgrade because I am upgraded, I contacted paypal and they say sorry for the inconvience their site is not at IE 10 yet.

The printing of labels problem seems to affect different area's of the country, I had it with labels not printing and having to wait 15 days for a refund when it was their problem. The discussion boards were no help as to fixing the label problem, I finally contacted someone and paid a small fee to help me with a workaround, so my label problem is now solved until ebay get's their act together, people are complaining on eBay's technical help discussion board about issues with printing label and pictures not loading and ebay is not fixing the problem.

This one topic on complaints has 156,000 views and almost 2600 replies that's quite a lot, most don't post because there user ID shows up and when you click on that you can see what they are selling or have bought, they don't know they can create another user ID just to use for the discussion boards.

Ebay has seriouse server problems and they are not tell anyone!!!: Community Help Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

This is just one link to the label problems but you'll find several post's on that new and old and also on the shipping discussion board, sellers think it's their computer or internet provider but its' not.

Still when I do a search, pictures are not loading it just spins around, they are trying to be Amazon but they are a very far way off.
As I said before, I've never had any problems whatsoever printing shipping labels or uploading pictures, so your situation seemed strange until I reread the post and noticed what I have bolded above. Dump Internet Explorer and use Firefox for eBay.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
I sold a rare, once every so often item today.
I used Paypal to create the shipping label.
7 ounces, first class, $2.39 and free delivery confirmation saving me 80 cents.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM

[quote=duster1979;28134177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post

As I said before, I've never had any problems whatsoever printing shipping labels or uploading pictures, so your situation seemed strange until I reread the post and noticed what I have bolded above. Dump Internet Explorer and use Firefox for eBay.
I didn't need to dump IE, paypal will show box to upgrade browser, as I mentioned my browser is updated, I don't know if you read the links to the discussion boards.

Anyway, I found my workaround for printing the labels and #62 on those boards did not fix my problem

There's a new technical problem there every day, must be in certain area's.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I sold a rare, once every so often item today.
I used Paypal to create the shipping label.
7 ounces, first class, $2.39 and free delivery confirmation saving me 80 cents.
Great! its in the finding of that rare/special item

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM

BTW, ebay has a new user agreement, the just put one of those out awhile ago.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
[quote=rural lady;28220793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

I didn't need to dump IE, paypal will show box to upgrade browser, as I mentioned my browser is updated, I don't know if you read the links to the discussion boards.

Anyway, I found my workaround for printing the labels and #62 on those boards did not fix my problem

There's a new technical problem there every day, must be in certain area's.
You have a technical problem with eBay every day. I have never, ever had a technical problem with eBay. You use IE. I use Firefox. Do you not see the correlation here?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

Just wondering the following:

A friend wants me to sell some stuff on Ebay for him. He is willing to pay me a comission. How much should I charge him percentwise? From anyone's experience, what would be a fair rate for arranging an Ebay sale?

Thanks
I would ask for at least 50%, at a minimum, otherwise it's not worth it.

I ran an ebay business from 1998-2004, full time at first as I ended college and then part time by 2000. I was there in the "wild west" days before ebay became like a totalitarian government. It was fun back then. I still sold a few odds and ends after that, but never got the bug back to operate as a business again.

Once ebay had so many people/businesses roped in and their business models being so reliant on ebay, along with legal issues that drove up costs to cover their butt, they took the fun out and started imposing so many rules and more fees, I lost interest. Paypal did the same thing. It was a few bad apples of sellers and buyers that ruined the barrel.

The biggest issues I found is one, paying all the fees which eat up your profits and then two, dealing with the shipping.

I found the fees crept up over the years and started munching up my profit. Once you pay ebay and paypal, if you are selling something for $15 for instance, you might not find it worthwhile, especially if you end up having to relist over and over.

Also you will need to take shipping/packaging time and expense into account. By that I mean are you selling stuff that you can slap in a small box or envelope and slap an address on it and be done in a minute, or are these things you'll need to spend money on proper shipping materials and then have to sit there and spend hours properly wrapping and packaging the item(s)?

In addition, depending on what you are selling, I always found I did better if I put some thought into my item descriptions and had some good photos. Again all that takes time.

Lastly, from the time I got on ebay in early 1998, I always used the "completed listings" function as market research to help gauge market interest and what things might be selling for. Whatever your friend wants to sell, I would search completed listings to gauge the market value to see if it's worthwhile to sell those items.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM

[quote=duster1979;28227421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post

You have a technical problem with eBay every day. I have never, ever had a technical problem with eBay. You use IE. I use Firefox. Do you not see the correlation here?
No

Maybe you could take a look at eBay's tech issue's board and mention firefox, see what imput you receive.

Could depend on where you live. Ebay links

Technical Issues: Community Help Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business