Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times

Advertisements

I started selling what I really knew about. My hobby. Buy low, sell high. Ebay, then Amazon, then my own el cheapo website.( This year I started my own label manufacturing.(Contract) But now it is a $10,000 investment where I started with no investment.

I stayed in what I know and am an expert in. I also learned quite a bit along the way in the manner of complementary products.

It is all in the pricing, marketing and labeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
The "started from nothing" is all bs. 99.9% of successful business owners that claim started from nothing in fact had a lot backing them. It's like the guy from Shark tank Kevin Oleary aka "mr. wonderful" brags about success and won't share his wealth with his own children he says "they are on their own after 18" Yet he made his fortune by borrowing 10k from his mother. Most of these successful people come from leave it to beaver families that already had money.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How do you start a business from scratch? You have the idea, you do the research. You run the figures. You learn how that type of business is run, so that you will know how to run your own business.

You buy or rent whatever equipment or space that you need. You hire whatever workers you need. You pay for your advertising.

Most likely, you support the business for a year or two while it gets established. Most likely, that money will come from your own pocket since it is very nearly impossible to borrow money for a business that is not already showing a history of profit.
What you described isn't starting a business from nothing... Every step you described requires money, and a lot of it.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What you described isn't starting a business from nothing... Every step you described requires money, and a lot of it.
There was no business before they started. They didn't go and buy an established business. Now some have started a business with limited capitol and some with mucho capitol. It can be done with limited investment. I was talking the other day with a man that had a successful sales job before losing it. Three years ago he started his own lawn service. Knocking door to door, handing out flyers. He now works 3-4 days a week with his son mowing lawns. After paying his son he pockets over $1500.00 a week. He told me he is happy with just his son and doesn't want to get any bigger. 25 hrs a week works for him.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The "started from nothing" is all bs. 99.9% of successful business owners that claim started from nothing in fact had a lot backing them. It's like the guy from Shark tank Kevin Oleary aka "mr. wonderful" brags about success and won't share his wealth with his own children he says "they are on their own after 18" Yet he made his fortune by borrowing 10k from his mother. Most of these successful people come from leave it to beaver families that already had money.
i get that every big star or business person wants a rags to riches story but your example yeah thats great if family gives you 10k but its not like thats easy. that person took a huge risk with a loved ones money, that's pretty balsy, should their business fail they are most likely still on the hook for the money, i know if anyone gave me money i would pay it back even if my business failed and it took me 10 years of working normal jobs to do so. your wrong though there are start from nothing stories, like i said my buddy works in fast food, i wrok a retail job and we started our biz with $368. there's many opportunities and niches people just fall into. i shouldn't say fall as without looking for opportunities and being ready to act you cant take advantage of them but still

Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
There was no business before they started. They didn't go and buy an established business. Now some have started a business with limited capitol and some with mucho capitol. It can be done with limited investment. I was talking the other day with a man that had a successful sales job before losing it. Three years ago he started his own lawn service. Knocking door to door, handing out flyers. He now works 3-4 days a week with his son mowing lawns. After paying his son he pockets over $1500.00 a week. He told me he is happy with just his son and doesn't want to get any bigger. 25 hrs a week works for him.
the internet is a great way to make money and if you have the skills of coding, web design and graphic design you dont have to pay so for many internet businesses the sttartup investment is time nad effort and not money aside from limited money needed for webhosting and domains and things like that. there's alot of internet marketers out there who make millions a year with nothing but an internet connection and knowledge of SEO. granted many people wouldn't consider this a business in the traditional sense of providing a product or service but it is a business

Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,854 times
Yes, someone can start a business with little capital.
Yes, its a lot of work, that's why most don't.
Yes, people like to talk a good game but have never tried it themselves.
Yes, most would never take the risk its not in their nature.
Yes, the embarrassment of failure holds many back as well.
Yes, many who have succeeded have failed before.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You want to know how to start a business with no money at all?

The only one I can think of, is that you take used envelopes out of the recycle bin, steal a pen from the local bank and hand write little notices that you pull weeds for $10 a hour and then you post those on the doors in neighborhoods with OK landscaping.

If the neighborhood landscaping is all too nice, everybody has a regular gardener and doesn't need you. If the yards look awful, the residents don't care whether or not they have weeds, so they don't want you.

Then, you have to get a friend or relative to take phone calls for you and take messages. You have to walk to get your messages and walk to get to your weed pulling job. But, you don't need to buy any equipment, as long as you trust the homeowner to keep track of your hours for you.

If you don't want to enlist friends and relatives, maybe you can advertise with an email address and use the computer at the library.

That job of sitting by the side of the road and begging doesn't appear to need any capital investment, either.

Other than that, you need knowledge and some money in order to start a business.

Oh wait. Never mind. You would need to be able to tell the difference between a weed and a plant, so you would need to study and gain some knowledge in order to have a weed pulling business. Maybe begging at the side of the road is the only option that doesn't involve start-up money or the effort to gain some knowledge.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
the internet is a great way to make money and if you have the skills of coding, web design and graphic design you dont have to pay so for many internet businesses the sttartup investment is time nad effort and not money aside from limited money needed for webhosting and domains and things like that. there's alot of internet marketers out there who make millions a year with nothing but an internet connection and knowledge of SEO. granted many people wouldn't consider this a business in the traditional sense of providing a product or service but it is a business
Yeah that is true. In many ways it is easier to start a business these days rather than pre-internet..Also a lot of competition nowadays of course..but there are also a lot more internet users too versus the early years of the web.

Also some people are saying some people had it easy if their family gave them $10,000 to start..but with good credit one should be able to take out a loan for $10,000 , borrow against credit cards,etc. Of course there is risk in this but everything is a risk.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I know a few people who've done it. One by placing an ad in Craigslist offering a service, something he liked doing and knew about, and he was shocked/scared when someone actually responded! That was 2 years ago and he's got regular customers now.

I also know a woman who made a LITERAL fortune many years ago when she started a business and franchised it and later sold it. She does claim to have started with nothing, and that may be how she sees it, but there was some money involved, both hers and other peoples. Someone with zero resources couldn't have done it even if they had the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business