Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
None of what I reading in this thread is what I call passive income.

Passive to me is nothing having to do anything. For example, I purchased several domains over 10 years ago and put some ads on them. Have not touched many of them since but I receive a check every month from some domain company. I know, I'm getting ripped -- they might get $2 and give me 75 cents, but whatever. Point is that is what I call passive.

And I guess being a landlord can be passive... but not passive enough for me. I've known plenty and it really depends on the people you get in.

Not sure it is so rare... hard to do though, I'd admit.
For the real estate example thats why you hire a property manager. Your domain thing your basically using the company as a property manager for your domain same way I use a property manager for my rental home. That makes it passive.

Unless you have gobs of money and can live off interest and investing almost nothing is truly passive income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You've confused primary residence mortgages with non-owner occupied mortgages for income property.

They are entirely different and the down payment and interest rates and collateral to secure a non-owner occupied mortgage is an entirely different ... and more expensive ... proposition.

Being a landlord, even in a desirable market, is not all peaches and cream. It's a job and it takes far more work than it looks like to do properly, especially if you have more than a few properties to rent and manage. It's just about the furthest thing from a passive income I can think of, and I've been in it for many decades.

In any event, the OP wanted a situation which didn't require much capital to get into doing. Rental real estate isn't it.

PassTheChocolate posted above the types of businesses which don't require much money to get started. There's lot of similar types of services which folk will pay for.
If its his first property he could buy it and say its a primary residence. As long as he moves in he's not lying, now if he moves out after a week and rents it after that he did his part he bought it to live in and he did live in it. He could get a property for 3% down.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If its his first property he could buy it and say its a primary residence. As long as he moves in he's not lying, now if he moves out after a week and rents it after that he did his part he bought it to live in and he did live in it. He could get a property for 3% down.
1 year is the residency requirements for FHA.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Weekends only and little start-up, you are talking about some sort of service industry. Rent-a-husband (handyman), gardener, weekend nanny, pet sitting, relief elder care, yard waste hauling, or free metal pick-up.
I actually do the "free metal pickup" thing occasionally and am always surprised at what the recycler gives me when I do.

Good tip.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I actually do the "free metal pickup" thing occasionally and am always surprised at what the recycler gives me when I do.

Good tip.
Another good idea. YOu could put an add in craigslist and the local papers saying you haul off junk metal. The only problem is the OP says he has a car and a truck would be required to do this. I work with a guy that does this and he said he can bring in 4,000 a year. He stores the metal in his yard until he has a full load and drives over to the recycler.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times
buy a lawn mower and start putting out flyers

there is more money in it than most people think

Old 10-19-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
buy a lawn mower and start putting out flyers

there is more money in it than most people think
The OP wanted a business with a LOW start up cost (he did capitalize the "low".... )

You would need a pickup truck - 8,000 dollars used (low end)
You would need a trailer - 2,500 dollars.
You would need a commercial grade lawnmower - 5,000+ (used)
You would need weedeaters, blowers and other small equipment- 3,000 +/-

You are looking at 18 to 20 thousand dollars to do it right. I suppose you could try to use a low end mower and knock it down to 12,000 dollars start up cost.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The OP wanted a business with a LOW start up cost (he did capitalize the "low".... )

You would need a pickup truck - 8,000 dollars used (low end)
You would need a trailer - 2,500 dollars.
You would need a commercial grade lawnmower - 5,000+ (used)
You would need weedeaters, blowers and other small equipment- 3,000 +/-

You are looking at 18 to 20 thousand dollars to do it right. I suppose you could try to use a low end mower and knock it down to 12,000 dollars start up cost.
No You Dont need to spend that much.

you can start with a $200 mower, and a good weed eater and blower can be bought for $200 each. Buy a very small trailer for $500 at lowes /home depot. For $1100 your in business.

You can tow these small trailers with most small vehicles.

When you have made some money you can start to expand and buy better commercial equipment and bigger trailers, a truck.

I know because in 1998, I did it just like that and built it to a business that does $750K.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
No You Dont need to spend that much.

you can start with a $200 mower, and a good weed eater and blower can be bought for $200 each. Buy a very small trailer for $500 at lowes /home depot. For $1100 your in business.

You can tow these small trailers with most small vehicles.

When you have made some money you can start to expand and buy better commercial equipment and bigger trailers, a truck.

I know because in 1998, I did it just like that and built it to a business that does $750K.
I will defer to your experience. Another one he might try is pool service if he lives in the right area.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Drive for Uber.

http://www.uber.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business