Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times

Advertisements

What does the Central Coast mean to you?

When I lived along the SoCal coast growing up I would often drive north to get away from the crowds and enjoy the scenic beaches of the Central Cal. Coast. Although I never looked for an official territory line for me the Central Coast started above Santa Barbara proper. Why? Well for me it was more about a feel of land, and coast, more open, less crowded, and the lack of that SoCal vibe which I grew up with.

It wasn't until later that I realized Santa Barbara County was so large extending up to places like Solvang and Los Olivos. Both of which have that distinct Central Coast feel for me with vineyards, rolling hills, kind of layed back, etc...

Regarding the northern border, Santa Cruz is widely considered a part of the Central Coast and the northern part of the Monterey Bay. However many locals think of this as Northern California as well. I know I used to think I was surfing NorCal when I surfed Santa Cruz as a young guy.

Acording to Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Central Coast is an area of California, United States, roughly spanning the area between the Monterey Bay and Point Conception. It extends through Santa Cruz County, San Benito County, Monterey County, San Luis Obispo County, and Santa Barbara County. It is also sometimes considered to include the northern part of Ventura County.
Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-26-2010 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
I think it starts in Santa Barbara, SB is just distinctly different from most of the beach cities south of it. SB also has a similar vibe to the SLO area. I can see why the Monterey area is a gray area, the vibe is more central coast but the weather is more NorCal, I suppose it depends what factor weighs heavily more for you when grouping. I'm in the camp of including Monterey area as a part of the Central Coast, the Central Coast is undoubtedly my favorite area of this state.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Point Conception to Monterey for me denotes the Central Coast. The Santa Barbara County coastline faces south and it's not until you reach Pt. Conception that CA has western facing beaches again.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,701 times
Pt. Conception to Pt. Año Nuevo -- that's where the climate changes both northbound and southbound.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Just to complicate the issue.......

I view the stretch from Monterey to the Golden Gate as a transition zone from central to northern.

When I lived in Ft Bragg everyone viewed the area south of the Golden Gate as part of the central coast.

Factors have to do with the social climate, the geology and the forest types found north of the GG.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
I would mostly echo that last post. Things change noticeably north of the Golden Gate, and that's where the North Coast is usually considered to be. From SF to Monterey is probably not North Coast, and it's certainly not Central Coast. I guess it's just considered undefined Northern California. I usually think the Central Coast starts more or less around Carmel rather than Santa Cruz. Santa Barbara feels like a SoCal town in terms of landscape, architecture and climate (almost stereotypically so), but it's often seen as the last outpost of the Central Coast.

A few years back, when there were ideas of separating California into three states, Northern Cal was going to be from Marin northward, Central Cal from SF to SB, and SoCal below that.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
I generally think of the Santa Barbara area as getting into the Central Coast. Maybe a little more inland. But I gotta say ... Derek - you put up the most AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL pics of our state! I thank you for the pics because I really enjoy them!!! I wanted to rep you, but I gotta spread the love. So ... consider yourself repped!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
When i lived in the Monterey area, i always thought of the Central Coast being from Pismo Beach to Santa Cruz.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:43 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
In my mind, Santa Cruz is the northern end of the Central Coast, Santa Barbara is the southern end.

This is obviously debatable. SC obviously has a bit of a Bay Area influence and SB has some LA influence. But I see those two as the beginnings of the Central Coast vibe.

However, I think most people would agree that the Central Coast stretches from Monterey to Pt. Conception. That is a definite boundary in my mind, anything North or South of those points are up to debate.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times

1.Northwest
2.Northeast
3.North Central
4.Bay Area
5.Central
6.Central Coast
7.South Central
8.Eastern Sierra
9.Los Angeles
10.Orange Co.
11.Inland Empire
12.San Diego

Well here's one way of looking at it. Similarly I think these are how the forums should be split up in California. Though I think 5 and 7 can be combined as well as 3 and 2. Sorry San Jose and Ventura. 2 and 8 seems rather irrelevant, I don't think they need their own forums or they could be lumped in with others or just remain in the ever mixing pot of California.

Santa Cruz is a weird area, I'd say they're North just because they seem to have the bums and hippies walking around albeit it's mostly a college town/city area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California