Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,350 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My landlord recently evicted another tenant in my apartment building. The tenant has vacated the apartment, but he is now loitering in the carport day and night and has even invited his friends over to "squat" in their van outside of my apartment building. Since him and his friends began hanging around out there all the time, I have had a check stolen (and cashed) from my mailbox, gas siphoned from my car and my neighbors storage unit was broken into. I have contacted the landlord multiple times about this, and he keeps telling me to call the police. When I call the police, he is conveniently gone by the time they show up (I think he must have a scanner), but is right back out there as soon as they leave. Yesterday the landlord called a tow truck to get his truck out of there since he is trespassing, but the tow truck driver (who was dispatched by the local PD) let him move it onto the street. UGH! Now the carport is once again full of his junk (weight benches, tools, stereos, etc.), and every time I go out there, there's 5-10 people out there with him sitting on my car and just hanging out. Is there anything that I can legally do about this as a tenant besides calling the police? The landlord came out and hung up a bunch of "No Loitering" signs, which they all had a good laugh at while they tore them up and threw them on the lawn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
You can threaten the landlord that you may break your lease if the problem isn't fixed. (This should motivate your landlord to deploy lawyers.)

Your first post, eh? Um, welcome to City-Data.com forums. I think?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,350 times
Thank you for the response, and the warm welcome!

I've put it out there to the landlord that I'm starting to look into relocating, and although he apologizes constantly and says he's trying everything, there have really been no results. This has been going on for almost 2 months, and I've about had it. I just hate the thought of moving, as I've been here for over 20 years...but if I can't even feel confident in having my mail sent to me at my home, I might just have to suck it up and move on...lol

Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
Keep calling the police & eventually they will have enough of this & nail the creep. Im surprised hes managed to squat on private property for 2 months after being evicted. LOTS of low lifes in this world.

Go to the following website & ask the same question in the law forums. You will get great, expert advice. Legal Help, Directories, Articles, and Forums From ExpertLaw

Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
druggies tend to move into a building and stay with fellow druggie friends-- hard to move them out. sometimes they gota close the whole place down and fire the manager too. the borg.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
These types of occurences are increasingly more common as people run out of un-employment benefits and can't get a job. There will be much more coming. Homeless street people, squatters, petty crime (and not-so-petty crime..), break-down of respect for laws and societal norms. Read about the "Hoovervilles" of the 1930s, the hobos and bank robbers etc. We are going to relive it all and more.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Im surprised hes managed to squat on private property for 2 months after being evicted. LOTS of low lifes in this world.
There aren't enough sherrifs in the world for all of the people that need eviction. It's an overwhelming number! Squatters? Take a number.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Your landlord can hire a security company to come in and kick him and his freinds out and keep them out, this will be the norm at any decent apartment complex in the future, I would call the police myself constantly complaining of them giving you trouble and that you are scared for your life, the same with your landlord, tell him your affraid for your safety, set him up to think you could have a lawsuit and have him explaining to the owners why the police are constantly being called to their apartment complex and he will get rid of them

Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,552 times
Call your local Dept. of Building & Safety, explain the situation. If this guy is leaving stuff in the carport area it could be considered a safety hazard in many ways..fire, trip & fall, a place for vermin to breed, etc... If the owner gets a fine he'll act pretty damn quick. Also, are there any other tenants who are bothered by this? If so, try to get them involved. Have ALL of them phone the police for multiple reports to be logged.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
He has multiple sterios out there? More than one weight benches? Could any of the stuff be stolen property? What about calling the cops on him for that stuff? Or lets say when he is gone, toss everything in the trash? we had a homeless problem at some homes we owned that were slated to be torn down. We would toss everything in a big roll away dumpster when we found it in the house. This went on for a few years. Still the problem didn't end untill we fenced in the homes and then just recently tore them all down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California