Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,040 times

Advertisements

My landlord is paying our hotel expenses (the very cheapest hotel she could find) while our only bathroom with a shower is being completely rennovated. She tells me she expects to be reimbursed the daily rate of our rent by her insurance company for each day that we are out of the unit.

Can she also charge us rent for the time that we are not occupying the unit?

We had also continued to live in the unit without the use of a shower for 8 days before she arranged for a hotel. Should that amount of rent be deducted since the unit was technically uninhabitable?

We (my husband, our 10-month old daughter, and me) are in Redondo Beach, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula05 View Post
My landlord is paying our hotel expenses (the very cheapest hotel she could find) while our only bathroom with a shower is being completely rennovated. She tells me she expects to be reimbursed the daily rate of our rent by her insurance company for each day that we are out of the unit.

We had also continued to live in the unit without the use of a shower for 8 days before she arranged for a hotel. Should that amount of rent be deducted since the unit was technically uninhabitable?

If she is paying your hotel bill (doesn't make any diference if it the cheapest hotel she could find) I would think you are responsible for your apt rent. What she works out with her insurance co (which I don't understand) has nothing to do with it. that is between her and the insurance complany.

Nita

Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
I agree with Nita. You are being provided a hotel at the landlord's expense as a replacement for your unlivable apartment. It may not be exactly what you wished for but it's fair. Since you voluntarily lived in the unit for 8 days without shower before the construction started it's probably too late now to expect any recompensation. Perhaps it would have been different if you had made a big issue of it at the beginning, but that's water under the bridge now.

Whatever business the landlord has going with the insurance company is no concern of yours.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula05 View Post

No, you owe the rent due because you still stayed. Your recourse would be to ask for compensaton or small claims court. But as Lovehound stated, it's water under the bridge.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Can your insurance agent help out? Our policy includes issues such as these. For example if an issue arises and the place becomes unfit to inhabit, moving expenses, the cost of another place are paid. But then I learned by living in an older building and watching people get moved because the plumbing was breaking. Those with the renters insurance were covered. Those that didn't have it were stuck. Then again our apartments required you to have the insurance. (Not everyone had it back then.)

Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Can your insurance agent help out? Our policy includes issues such as these. For example if an issue arises and the place becomes unfit to inhabit, moving expenses, the cost of another place are paid. But then I learned by living in an older building and watching people get moved because the plumbing was breaking. Those with the renters insurance were covered. Those that didn't have it were stuck. Then again our apartments required you to have the insurance. (Not everyone had it back then.)
and so many renters do not think about renters insurance. it is too bad..

Nita

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
What were the circumstances regarding the renovation?

I know that the insurance I carry on a rental home I own will cover the rent loss in some circumstances. If your landlord is receiving rent from the insurance company for the period you are living in a hotel, then your landlord should not be getting rent from you also for those days. Your rent would be prorated. You would owe for the days you actually lived in and used the home. Meaning if there are 31 days in the month, you lived in a hotel for 10 days, you would owe 21 days rent.

It would be nice if the landlord compensated you something for your 8 days without a shower if your bathtub was also unusable. If you were able to take a bath, then I don't think compensation should be expected. Taking a bath would be more inconvenient but does not make the home inhabitable.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
What were the circumstances regarding the renovation?
Repair, not renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I know that the insurance I carry on a rental home I own will cover the rent loss in some circumstances. If your landlord is receiving rent from the insurance company for the period you are living in a hotel, then your landlord should not be getting rent from you also for those days. Your rent would be prorated. You would owe for the days you actually lived in and used the home. Meaning if there are 31 days in the month, you lived in a hotel for 10 days, you would owe 21 days rent.
The insurance reimburses the landlord for loss of rent. The landlord provides the tenant replacement housing during the repairs. The tenant lost nothing except the inconvenience of having to move out for a few days. The insurance company lost, the landlord lost, the tenant lost, and nobody won.

There isn't any room here for bleeding hearts. There is no reason for the landlord to offer the tenant anything beyond replacement housing for the duration.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Repair, not renovation.

The insurance reimburses the landlord for loss of rent. The landlord provides the tenant replacement housing during the repairs. The tenant lost nothing except the inconvenience of having to move out for a few days. The insurance company lost, the landlord lost, the tenant lost, and nobody won.

There isn't any room here for bleeding hearts. There is no reason for the landlord to offer the tenant anything beyond replacement housing for the duration.
I agree with you. I do think it is pretty crappy if the landlady collects rent and asks the insurance company to pay for lost rent and I am surprised she would tell her tenent this, but again, that is between the landlady and the the insurance company..Of course I am also pretty sure, the cost of the hotel, is as much, if not more than the amount of rent being collected.

Nita

Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Nita, the landlord has gained nothing but being reimbursed for paying for the tenant's hotel accommodations, and probably repair costs for the water damage (but not the plumber's bill). The tenant continues to pay rent because the tenant continues to have a place to live, even if it's a hotel.

The tenant would have good reason to complain if they got kicked out during repairs and didn't get either free hotel accommodations or suspension of rent. Either would have been reasonable but not both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California