Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM

541 posts, read 912,179 times

Advertisements

Also, how is the heat?

I seep temps running in the 90s and stuff, but I bet its a dry heat so its tolerable.

Im from NY so 90 here is different from 90 there because of the humidity factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM

536 posts, read 573,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
How long is the drive?

Im considering a move to Chico for grad school.

I understand the city/town/whatever is small and a bit isolated, but im willing to deal with it if there are things close in proximity.

How often do people go to the mountains nearby or the Bay Area or ocean when they wanna get away?

Hows the food and bar scene in Chico?
Probably about the same it was last time you asked, really. I don't think much has changed in a couple months.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Probably about the same it was last time you asked, really. I don't think much has changed in a couple months.
Ah, ok. Well see, im looking for a more definitive answer than "its a college town brah!"

Move along now, fella.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, ok. Well see, im looking for a more definitive answer than "its a college town brah!"

Move along now, fella.
Most people don't expect a banned poster to respond. LoL.

It's about a 3 hour drive I suppose, but do you have a car now?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Most people don't expect a banned poster to respond. LoL.

It's about a 3 hour drive I suppose, but do you have a car now?

Yes I do.

Are the people in Chico primarily home bodies or do they actually use the areas around them?

Not many places in the country have so many world class offerings around them (mountains, SF, Napa, etc.)

Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes I do.

Are the people in Chico primarily home bodies or do they actually use the areas around them?

Not many places in the country have so many world class offerings around them (mountains, SF, Napa, etc.)
Chico has many outdoorsy people and as you have a car now you will have access to many of the amenities. Bike riding, hiking, skiing during the winter months, etc. With a car you will feel less isolated which was your concern before.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Chico has many outdoorsy people and as you have a car now you will have access to many of the amenities. Bike riding, hiking, skiing during the winter months, etc. With a car you will feel less isolated which was your concern before.

2-3 hours are reasonable drives in the Northeast (im in Upstate NY and have Boston, NYC, Montreal, Toronto, Philly, etc.) all within an average of 3-4 hour drives.

Ive lived in NYC and I would take frequent trips upstate (3-4 hours) once a month or so, and people downstate thought it was like driving cross country. The mentality is extremely limited regarding travel. They think a two hour drive is a lot.

Im guessing its not that big a deal out West, even remotely as the cities are more spread out and long drives are much more common.

Id love the option of frequent trips to San Francisco for outings.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM

42 posts, read 113,452 times
Emily- I've been asking about Chico too so I can't actually speak for how well it would fit you. But when I read what your looking for, I immediately thought of Fort Collins, CO and Colorado State University and if you weren't trying to leave the south I'd say Austin, TX would be perfect too.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM

I dont think shes responding considering its been three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California