Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,464 times

Advertisements

I lived in so CA for over 40 years and when we moved to MO I was ready for some anti CA backlash. It hasn't happened once....with anybody. When the subject does come up in conversation what I have gathered from people, and I feel it is a legitimate issue, is folks are sick of the political junk coming out of Sacramento that seems to slowly creep across the country. In addition there are concerns from citizens of other states in the union of CA people moving to their neck of the woods and then trying to convert it to "like it was back home in CA".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
My cousins used to live in Idaho (after moving from San Jose) and they blame Californians for raising prices, aggressive driving, rudeness, lack of moral values, etc. Now they live in Maryland and they are blaming people from New York and other northerners (which I blame too.)

The thing is that when Californians and Yankees move into a different part of the country, they don't try to adapt to the native culture and try to impose coastal values on the south and the midwest. For example a lot of Nevadans, Marylanders, and Virginians not to mention Floridians and North Carolinians are upset about transplants usurping politics in their native states. For example Virginia now has a liberal Democrat governor who was born in Connecticut. Nevada and Arizona are filled with Californians who are not as friendly or laid-back as the native people there.

Having said that, my personal experiences visiting the San Francisco area were wonderful and the people were great. No, California is not as friendly as Louisiana or North Carolina or Texas but its a LOT friendlier than my part of Maryland which is overrun with New York and New Jersey and Philadelphia transplants and illegal aliens.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
There are illegal aliens in every state. There are more illegals in Washington, D.C. and our suburbs than in San Francisco. All the farms and construction businesses here, as well as Maryland's fishing industry hires illegals. I wrote to my Senator complaining about her sympathy for illegals and she writes me back saying Maryland's famous crabbing business in Baltimore, Annapolis, and along Chesapeake Bay cannot survive without "migrant workers".

Hey ya'll should listen to the song "California Girls" by Gretchen Wilson....its HILARIOUS!! She mentions Paris Hilton and also stereotypes California girls as all having plastic surgery. This is the same artist who came up with "Redneck Woman"....she's a talented musician though.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 27,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
Tell me Californians...are you sick and tired of the rest of the U.S. blaming you for all of the crime, road rage, high cost of housing, immigration problems, etc?

Seems like too many posters point the finger at Cali as the cause of their state's problems - - especially for the rise of housing; they claim that "those snooty rich people from California caused housing prices to escalate".

Maybe they are just jealous cuz they don't live in CA?
Jealous? Please, find out how many Californians have moved to Montana than tell me who is jealous.
Nobody is blaming Californians for crime, road rage or immigration problems.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 PM

25 posts, read 134,056 times
Rude people exist all around you. No need to come to CA to find that out! Many people (although not all) want a piece of California, I don't blame them and since they can't have it, they enjoy bashing it, sounds like we're back to first grade. Grow up people.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
See Screen Name

Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Working in real estate, I've dealt with many Californians in other areas of the country who want to move in and completely change the neighborhood to be like what they left. That would **** me off too.
My God, that drives me crazy.
They still do that here in California neighborhoods. OMG!! We had several huge court battles going on in the last neighborhood I was in (Granite Bay). I lived in a beach front home and there was constant battles with new people who moved into the neighborhood. So one of neighbors made up a petition and had our A.R. committee thrown out (because all the newbies voted themselves in without a real vote). They also lost all of the court battles. Retraining orders had to be placed on one of the trouble makers (who was a parol officer) The sheriff came out to his house and took all of his guns away. Sucks to be him!! He shouldn't have tried to run a neighbor off the road while her kids were in the mini van. Most of them ended up selling their homes and moving on. Even after they cost one of our neighbors $200,000. of extra digging out of their lot so their new house (they were building) didn't block their lake view. The next time they tried this to another neighbor the judge told them they don't have a right to a view!! If they wanted a view then they should have bought on the lakeside. Stupid!!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 PM

46 posts, read 100,117 times
It's true.

They do it.

I had it happen to me when I moved out of California 20 years... but I can scream as loud as they can, and its twenty years now and they still dont accept me and I STILL DONT CARE! I wear my CALIFORNIA sweatshirt proudly! But do I envy you? Nope. I left for many good reasons. The one thing you have that I miss dreadfully... THE OCEAN.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
Tell me Californians...are you sick and tired of the rest of the U.S. blaming you for all of the crime, road rage, high cost of housing, immigration problems, etc?

Seems like too many posters point the finger at Cali as the cause of their state's problems - - especially for the rise of housing; they claim that "those snooty rich people from California caused housing prices to escalate".

Maybe they are just jealous cuz they don't live in CA?
As my name indicates I haven't been here long, only a year now. But I have spent a nice amount of time in the east and midwest, in multiple cities.

I don't pay attention to the complaining stuff. I respect it when folks don't want to live here, and they should find what makes them happy. As far as housing cost goes, if you don't feel you can afford what would make you happy, you can wait to see if prices go down much or go elsewhere. No sympathy from me there, economics determines market values. Anyone calling Californian's snooty has an personality issue themselves, so they have my sympathy. And Californian's don't have the volume of folks to impact housing costs in other areas.

Rude folks exists everywere. So far, I would say California has been pretty friendly. I found more clannishness in the midwest, in multiple cities.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:28 AM

179 posts, read 921,696 times
People in california aren't actually rude and angry, etc. They are just annoyed. Most of us blame the influx of peoples from other states seeking "gold" for the rise in their own prices. If they would stop coming here (tourist), prices would probably just even out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California