Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
How about the law AB88 which would require all genetically engineered salmon sold in California to contain clear and prominent labeling.
So you think consumers shouldn't be able to know whether the Salmon wasn't genetically engineered or not? Again, how is this a restriction for the general public? It provides the general public with more information.

I love having information about the products I purchase, hence I love food labeling laws. California now requires restaurants to put calorie information on their menus, I absolutely love it.

Quote:
or possibly Prop AB32, Do you see other states trying to cut emissions to 21 years ago ?
No, but most other states don't have the high population coupled with the impressive natural resources that California has. This prop is a good thing, air pollution is a serious problem throughout California due to geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
You want to use Inland Empire as an example, IE is roughly 1-2 hours from Los Angeles.. Lets use San Bernardino as an example
Let's get even closer to L.A. and use a recent sale in Fontana: Just shy of an acre, fenced, with TWO homes and a shop on the property. This was sold as income property to the buyer, who is now renting out both houses as well as the fenced parking area (for 18-wheeler parking). Price: 203k. Total monthly income will be 2400 from the houses and a potential of at least 600 from the parking.

There are plenty of deals to be had if one is ready to pounce.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Show me something similar in Texas. I've driven through Texas a number of times, its just not a pretty state.
Most every state has pretty parts. Here's some ugly bluebonnets:

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Most every state has pretty parts. Here's some ugly bluebonnets:
Sure and some states (e.g., California) are mostly pretty and other states (e.g., Texas) are mostly ugly. But you can find pretty parts in almost every state. Texas is like the ugly women with nice hands.

Also, I was referring to mountain ranges (the flatness issue) not flowers. If you take a picture of an ant hill from the ground up it can look large....

Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
How about the California Supreme Court giving LEO permission to search your cell phone without a warrant ?
Only upon arrest, but yes, I'll give you that one.

Quote:
or possibly Prop AB32, Do you see other states trying to cut emissions to 21 years ago ?
Having grown up during the smog-choked fifties and sixties in Southern California, I'm all for this. What I don't like is the cap and trade insanity, but that's grist for another mill.

I don't care what other states are doing, unlike the constant stream of Texans who post in this forum. (just try to find a post from me in any Texas forum... I dare ya) But, if history is any indicator, what we do here, other states will soon follow... so better watch out! Hell, you recently got an In-n-Out burger stand... next, you all will be doing other crazy Californy things such as allowing consenting adults to have sex the way they want to in the privacy of their homes, or teaching that commie liberal evolution stuff. Or not arresting drunks who are walking back to their hotel room from the hotel bar.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Unless you're wealthy (Which I doubt most of California is.) You already pay more for everything then most other places in the U.S. and now you have to hand out more of your money in taxes and lets not talk about the state income tax in California which is one of the highest in the U.S.
Well no, for most of the state heating and cooling, energy costs, are minimal. I just looked at our gas bill, two houses, one meter, January gas bill, $124.00 that is 62 bucks per house. and that is the highest bill of the year, because it is winter here, sort of.

The coast of Texas? Joke?

Texas is flat, now, you can say it isn't, but, it is, There are a couple of mtn ranges in the very west, Guadalupe Mtn for instance, but, those hills around Austin? The "Hill Country" ? Gopher mounds.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
.... you all will be doing other crazy Californy things such as allowing consenting adults to have sex the way they want to in the privacy of their homes, or teaching that commie liberal evolution stuff. Or not arresting drunks who are walking back to their hotel room from the hotel bar.
The most amusing is the obscenity statute, you're not even allowed to sell sex toys in Texas. Of course some businesses still sell them and pretend they are back massagers and such.

But this is what is so strangely odd about Southern folks, they yell and scream if the government tries to reduce pollution, increase consumer information, etc yet have no problem when the government restricts their personal liberties. Its hard not to believe that their positions are little more than pro-corporate propaganda.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Well no, for most of the state heating and cooling, energy costs, are minimal. I just looked at our gas bill, two houses, one meter, January gas bill, $124.00 that is 62 bucks per house. and that is the highest bill of the year, because it is winter here, sort of.
My gas bill is never over 10 bucks a month (gas water heater, dryer, range and 2 wall heaters), and I don't have electric heat, save for the plug in ceramic dish heater I'll sometimes aim at the dog on cold nights, although she spent the first four years of her life sleeping on the ground in all types of weather at the 3700' level in the Western Mojave and probably doesn't need it.

Bottom line: I flat don't need to use the heaters.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, but most other states don't have the high population coupled with the impressive natural resources that California has. This prop is a good thing, air pollution is a serious problem throughout California due to geography.
So THAT's what causes air pollution. Silly me. And here I thought large populations generating vehicle exhausts, coal fired plants, manufacturing emissions, crop sprays and chemicals were significantly at fault.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Dang, curmie you stp'ed again, here you claim to be an expert on California and you don't know that the geography of the state is a large part of the air pollution problem.

Would you like me to help you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California