Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The Center for Biological Diversity is based in Tucson.

I'd love nothing better than to see those infernal machines of destruction banned (or at least limited) from my deserts.
Good luck with that, not only will people like me continue to frequent you state for OHV use but we've gotten smarter and refuse to spend money with people who don't appreciate the business we could bring with us. I won't buy fuel, food or anything else while in the state of CA on a pleasure trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Well, just as I thought, the State of California is not trying to close any land to public use, and neither is anyone else, including the Center for Biological Diversity, except as I have noted before, the military.

I know that the beer and gasoline crowd talks about closing land, or locking up land, but that is except in the case of the military, always a lie. A falsehood. Back to Texas, here is the problem with texas, and, as I have stated before, it is the lack of wild land, in the case of Texas, there is very little public land to do anything on.
Total of National Forest Land, 675,000 acres
Big Bend National park is the largest park at 800,000 acres

It appears that there are no more than 2, million acres of public land in Texas, that is just, the Los Padres National Forest and Death Valley National Park combined in California, far less than the nearly 50 million acres of California, open to public access.

Now, of course, if you are an urban sort, this makes no difference. But, if you, like millions of Americans enjoy our nation's wild lands, you will feel cramped in Texas.
You're not taking into account the private land that people use for the same type of recreation you do on public land in CA. I've never once felt cramped in TX, there's enough space here to relocate a number of a NE states and not even notice. I'm by no means an urban sort, I live in an extremely rural area of Texas.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
So, despite the millions of acres of pristine, beautiful wildland that you claim is at your fingertips in Tejas, you admit to having to drive all the way to California for recreational purposes?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Ya'll got an 8,000 foot climb in a crick bed?

There is lots of off roading around LA, millions of acres. just rent and go. and never take less than two or three gallons of water per person. That desert is not civilized like back east. Back East being anything past Barstow
LoL, no.. we have no 8,000 foot climbs.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Even San Luis Obispo County has more wilderness land than Texas, aside from Big Bend and Guadalupe Mtns National Park. In Texas, if you wanted to go on a weekend back pack trip with your kids, where would you go?

Oh, how cute, Curmie jumped in, with a thinly disguised attack. Too funny, I did leave out the part where I was going to say that there are those who think an outdoor experience includes parking on the shore of a reservoir, but I did not put that in, as I knew it would hurt somebodies feelings.
If I wanted to go on a weekend back pack trip I'd go to one of the many TX state parks in my area where you could go fishing, hiking, swimming, practice archery, start a camp fire, etc etc etc. Either that or I'd call up a buddy and spend the weekend at their West Texas ranch which is larger than your entire city of SLO. What do you really think people can't camp or hike outside of CA?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
So, despite the millions of acres of pristine, beautiful wildland that you claim is at your fingertips in Tejas, you admit to having to drive all the way to California for recreational purposes?
If I want to camp or hike in the woods I go 45 minutes north of Houston to the Sam Houston National Forest.

If I want to go to the beach and things of this nature, I go 45 minutes southeast of Houston to Galveston.

If I want to play in the hills or have fun on a river I drive 3 hours west to San Antonio.

If I want to play in the mountains, my first choice would be a 10 hour drive west to the Big Bend National Park. (althought I'm sure there are closer mountain ranges.)

No need to drive 21 hours to California.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
That question was directed at Backspace.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, that is just the typical Southern conservative interpretation. It is as I stated, Texas doesn't spend much on social programs. Social programs include far more than welfare.
You say that like it's somehow a bad thing...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I've driven thousands of miles all over this country for recreational purposes, hell I've flown to other continents to enjoy my hobby... what's the big deal?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If I wanted to go on a weekend back pack trip I'd go to one of the many TX state parks in my area where you could go fishing, hiking, swimming, practice archery, start a camp fire, etc etc etc. Either that or I'd call up a buddy and spend the weekend at their West Texas ranch which is larger than your entire city of SLO. What do you really think people can't camp or hike outside of CA?
"Private only two things come from Texas, steers and ******* and I don't see any horns on your head"- R Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket

Had to take the shot. Go Longhorns LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California