Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 76,213 times

Advertisements

I'm from Manteca, I've lived here all my life over 20 years.

Sometimes I visit relatives in Stockton.

I have a question... why is most of Stockton and its area, in the poor shape its in? For example, why are there fake gangsters and a lack of quality people? Why are there bums and illegals driving around the streets? How come so many people there look poor? How come the Stockton Police Department doesn't fix these things?

How come Sacramento is mostly nice and has nice things, but Stockton doesn't? Why doesn't the government clean Stockton up and make it nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I just had a visit here from a good friend that has lived in Stockton 8 years,
and is hoping things get better in about a year so he can sell and come away with at least what he paid for his home. Currently it's worth less than he paid
when he bought it new. He was telling me that the area grew very quickly, as affordable new home developments were built and people working in the Bay Area started to buy them for a long commute. At the time gas was less, and they could buy new for what an old beat up fixer would cost closer in. When the economy tanked, it hit hardest in areas (like Stockton) where people had most recently bought homes. When you owe more than your house is worth you are in trouble, then gas prices o up and people start getting laid off. The City, whether the government officials are capable or not, depend on revenue from taxes to function. When people stop paying their property taxes and stop buying big-ticket items like cars and appliances, there is no choice but to let staff go, including police.

Sacramento does have the state offices, which is like a whole economy to help keep the city going. Also, a state university (where I went to graduate school) and is on the main east-west highway. Stockton has
nothing like that to help save it at this point.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Well, I think Bisjoe is right on. I remember living in the Bay Area and a co-worker bought in Stockton. I thought, OMG, are you crazy? How are you going to do a SF to Stockton commute each day? I myself had a four hour commute each day and that was brutal, so I just could not figure it out.

I am not surprised at all it's turned out this way for Stockton. First of all, you'd have to be nuts to buy there and commute to SF!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM

20 posts, read 85,643 times
The state doesn't put money into Stockton... its really that simple. Sacramento is nice because the state wants it to be nice (its the capital after all). The same with Fresno, Bakersfield, etc... they are not really important, compared to Sacramento.

If California's capital looked like Stockton, tourists would quit going. People wouldn't want to visit it. The state might lose money, because people wouldn't visit it.

That's my opinion anyway. And yes, it all comes down to money.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeI View Post
I'm from Manteca, I've lived here all my life over 20 years.

Sometimes I visit relatives in Stockton.

I have a question... why is most of Stockton and its area, in the poor shape its in? For example, why are there fake gangsters and a lack of quality people? Why are there bums and illegals driving around the streets? How come so many people there look poor? How come the Stockton Police Department doesn't fix these things?

How come Sacramento is mostly nice and has nice things, but Stockton doesn't? Why doesn't the government clean Stockton up and make it nice?
Many of the people there are poor and have a poverty mindset. That isn't something that can be easily fixed by the police.

Many of the non-poor used to work in the Bay Area. But, community life suffers when large numbers of people are commuting every day 2+ hours one-way. That means a lot of people probably don't have time to properly raise their kids (hence the problem with gangs & wanna be gang members), & participate in community life. It's just work, commute, come home, go to sleep, & do the same thing all over the next day.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I just had a visit here from a good friend that has lived in Stockton 8 years,
and is hoping things get better in about a year so he can sell and come away with at least what he paid for his home. Currently it's worth less than he paid
when he bought it new. He was telling me that the area grew very quickly, as affordable new home developments were built and people working in the Bay Area started to buy them for a long commute. At the time gas was less, and they could buy new for what an old beat up fixer would cost closer in. When the economy tanked, it hit hardest in areas (like Stockton) where people had most recently bought homes. When you owe more than your house is worth you are in trouble, then gas prices o up and people start getting laid off. The City, whether the government officials are capable or not, depend on revenue from taxes to function. When people stop paying their property taxes and stop buying big-ticket items like cars and appliances, there is no choice but to let staff go, including police.

Sacramento does have the state offices, which is like a whole economy to help keep the city going. Also, a state university (where I went to graduate school) and is on the main east-west highway. Stockton has
nothing like that to help save it at this point.
That is fantastic, another prospect. Show me the money! LOL

Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Look at the local economy and demographics. Who is living in the few nice neighbourhoods in Stockton? Who is living in the wrecked neighbourhoods?

Stockton's economy was never great. The closure of the Naval Reserve Center made things worse. An area with little economic activity and cheap housing attracts problem people looking for a cheap place to live. Since the closure of the Naval Reserve Center, Stockton has been getting by due to people working in the Bay Area and Sacramento looking for cheaper housing. Employment is tough to come by in the Bay Area and Sacramento right now, so Stockton, well, just simply exists.

Sacramento is a much larger area, thus has some economic diversity to keep things going. However, the areas farthest from the jobs are deteriorating. Most of South Sacramento isn't that great these days.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
An area with little economic activity and cheap housing attracts problem people looking for a cheap place to live.
This one sentence sums it up best.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marix V View Post
The state doesn't put money into Stockton... its really that simple. Sacramento is nice because the state wants it to be nice (its the capital after all). The same with Fresno, Bakersfield, etc... they are not really important, compared to Sacramento.

If California's capital looked like Stockton, tourists would quit going. People wouldn't want to visit it. The state might lose money, because people wouldn't visit it.

That's my opinion anyway. And yes, it all comes down to money.

Ya and considering Sacramento is the capitol, theres still sketchy sections of there too. Stockton/Fresno still don't look awful like some make them out, but no way would I even think of living there thinking I'd commute to SF. Maybe if community existed there or I could get work nearby, I'd consider it.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
decline of rural america + illegal immigration + refugees from 3rd world + influx of lower income bay area people = the plight of stockton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California