Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Houston ROCKS! However you had better know where and where not to play! I have never in my 45 years of living in Houston been a victim of violent crime. Crime is in every big city so you need to be very aware and street smart as well as people smart!

I think LA and Houston are very equal as far as crime goes. I think Houston and Oakland are fairly equal as well.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The murder rate is the best way of determining overall crime rates because murders are harder to hide than other crimes.

I was wrong about Oakland's murder rate being lower than Houston's, but Houston's is higher than any other California city listed and the highest in Texas. Dallas' is also higher than California cities (Oakland being the exception). Austin's and El Paso's are lower than California cities listed ; San Antonio's is higher than San Francisco's but lower than Los Angeles' (which is lower than Fresno's or Long Beach's).

The California city that comes closest to Houston for level of violent crime is Stockton, but Houston has more violent crime than Stockton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM

420 posts, read 877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ya think? And people move to them for that reason and then are labeled racists. Go figure!
The only reason racism would ever be a factor in relocation is if the flight is motivated by a dislike of a certain ethnic group, assuming that it is somehow more prone to crime than the one you associate your self with.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Why don't you back up your claims with a source other then your blind opinion? Just another example of California ignorance with the mere mention of the word Texas comes into play!

Actually it was the guns in the hands of Houstonians' who took back the city of Houston from the horrific crimes and violence that came with the Katrina refugees. Houstonians' had enough and police needed help and the citizens took matters into their own hands! It made Houston much safer to get the murders, rapists and downright evil people off of the streets. So actually guns in the hands of the fed up not frightened Houstonians made Houston a much safer place.
Houston had a reputation for crime and violence long before Katrina.

If you want to point to an example of a safe Texas city you'd be better off pointing to Austin or - more remarkably - El Paso, which is the safest big city in Texas despite being next door to the second most violent city in the world (Juarez)

Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Depends where in Texas.

Houston is considerably more dangerous than any California city.

OTOH Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso are safer than any California cities except San Jose.
And San Diego.

And if San Diego north of the 8 were its own city, it would have been the safest large city in the nation (something like 6 murders in the last year in a population of 700,000). (But, I suppose, many other large cities could be cut up like that.)

Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,836 times
Quote:
Houston had a reputation for crime and violence long before Katrina.

If you want to point to an example of a safe Texas city you'd be better off pointing to Austin or - more remarkably - El Paso, which is the safest big city in Texas despite being next door to the second most violent city in the world (Juarez)
Never did I say that Houston did not have a history of crime and violence...never did I say that. I lived there and watched with my own eyes what was happening to my city and believe me the crime went up substantially after Katrina. The crimes committed were some of the most horrific that I have ever seen in Houston. The citizens had enough and began to fight back... it took almost 3 years to get Houston back to what it was before. Thanks to the citizens that fought back!

I have lived in both Dallas and Austin and I would not say that Dallas is a safe city. Austin is a small college town.

How about Kerrville...now thats a safe Texas town!

Over all Houston is not a dangerous city in that you must be on guard every step you take. It is a very large cosmopolitan city and there are crime infested areas but mostly it is a good fun city.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 AM

76 posts, read 193,287 times
I live in the RGV across from Matamoros, Nuevo Progreso, Río Bravo, and Reynosa and I would say its pretty dangerous. My area is a metropolitan area. Pretty much just mind your own business and your chances of being a victim are less.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,436 times
Quote:
Austin is a small college town.
Are we talking about Austin TX? Population 800,000?
That's your idea of a small college town?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 AM

76 posts, read 193,287 times
Lol!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:26 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,350 times
Actually, a lot of the gangsters fleeing Houston and other places in Texas had to do with the difference in the way the two states handle serious offenses. When the crooks found out that Texas wasn't as easy as Louisiana they headed back home, where speedy trial regulations essentially give gangsters carte blanche to do whatever they want.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
The murder rate is the best way of determining overall crime rates because murders are harder to hide than other crimes.

I was wrong about Oakland's murder rate being lower than Houston's, but Houston's is higher than any other California city listed and the highest in Texas. Dallas' is also higher than California cities (Oakland being the exception). Austin's and El Paso's are lower than California cities listed ; San Antonio's is higher than San Francisco's but lower than Los Angeles' (which is lower than Fresno's or Long Beach's).

The California city that comes closest to Houston for level of violent crime is Stockton, but Houston has more violent crime than Stockton.
I agree murder is tracked the most consistently. But I think overall violent crimes are more meaningful to the average citizen. Many violent crimes (e.g. stabbing) are "almost murders" and might have been murders if not for luck or medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California